Avoiding Title Overlap in the Atlas

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

I'm pretty sure David Lang covered some of these issues in a blog post, but I can't find it.

Here's my problem: I'm trying to create a printable custom map that includes the following items:

-All the locations mentioned in 1 Samuel 21-22

-The Philistine Cities

-Tribe Borders Region Layer

-Kingdom of Saul Region Layer

But the labels from the Tribe Borders layer run over two of the site names in Benjamin (Namely Gibeah and Nob)

I can find no way to change the font size for the labels for the Tribe Borders. I can turn them all of them off, but then I'm left with regions no one understands. I'd be content with turning Benjamin off, and adding it by hand before copying, but I can't seem to do that.

I really don't want to have to redraw all the lines in a custom User Layer.

Any ideas?

Lorinda

First of all you can adjust the Region Names in Set Map Display (command-T) but choosing them from the pop-up meniu. This may solve the problem. If it doesn't you can remove the names and leave the borders, then add a user layer with the names at the size and location of your choice.

Thanks, Helen. I had found Set Map Display, but I can only change font, not size there. But it hadn't occurred to me to keep the borders and create a user layer for the names. Thank you for that suggestion.

I will confess that I still struggle with getting my head around the Atlas controls. There's so much power there, but I don't use it enough to get comfortable with it. It's hard for me to keep all the different aspects straight. I keep hoping I'll make it to a workshop one of these days and learn more. I've been pleased to see workshops closer to me the last few years, but unfortunately I've always had a schedule conflict.

Lorinda

The Scale pop-up menu sets the size of the font relative to the rest of the map.

The new Help files do document the Atlas is considerable detail. You may want to invest a little time working through them.

Lorinda, I did a series of posts in June entitled Gimme a Map with No Overlap. Look for links to those posts here.

Hope this helps.

"Scale" has been greyed out for me every time I've been in the dialog the last few days. I should have been clearer about that. But I found that I could turn off only the "Benjamin" label, which made setting up a User Layer much simpler. Thanks for the that wonderful suggestion.

I have looked through the help file, and it is a lot easier to find the info I need. But it's still one of those cases of "one person's intuitive is another person's awkward" for me. That's not meant as a criticism of either the atlas or the help; our brains all work differently. In most respects, I've taken to the Accordance interface like a fish to water, but something about the way my brain is wired makes learning the atlas interface a little more challenging.

And thanks, David, for the link to your blog entries. Any suggestions for how I can find particular blog posts in the future?

Lorinda

Archived