Tutor -- Accordance Bible -- online or in NYC area

Heidi

I am looking for a tutor to help study the Bible using Accordance software either online or in the NYC Metropolitan area.

I am looking for a tutor to help study the Bible using Accordance software either online or in the NYC Metropolitan area.

Hello, Heidi.

It's great that you are desirous to learn how to incorporate Accordance into your study regimen. If you are not aware of the free online resources, please allow me to point you to them.

As a first, the Blog hosts an array of topics—from "how tos" to aspects of the lives of Accordance employees. Include the RSS Feed into your reader and you have a dose of Accordance goodness each day.

Another great resource is Dr. Tim. Jenny's podcasts. These are free in the iTunes store, and range from beginner to advanced. They are a great place to begin, as nearly every topic is covered.

Another great stockpile of resources are the training videos. The videos are short and concise, in that they concentrate on a particular area or feature of Accordance.

Lastly, and often the best way, is to jump right in! It's often best to slowly master Accordance, in conjunction with your Bible Study. For example, if you were studying Matthew 5 and you were curious about the usage of a particular word, you could quickly jot down your question, and then embark on your odyssey of not only learning more about the Text of Scripture, but also the gamut of research options you have at your finger tips—whether it be learning how to run a word search, phrase search, syntax search, Search All Secondary Literature, compare versions, etc., etc. This incremental process will cause things to "stick" and you can use again later in your studies. Should you get stuck on anything, you always have the resources of the Forums. Answers are typically given by the community within a several hours of posting your question.

You may be aware of all the above, but prefer and learn best from a tutor. I understand, but I didn't want you to overlook some of these other great resources.

(ps. My Skype contact info is listed on my User Profile page. If I am ever on during which time you are stumped, feel free to ask your question. Again, I am not always available, so the forums are great place to frequent. BTW, you can also add the forums to RSS Reader.)

Edited by James Tucker

Hi Heidi,

I would echo what James said and let us know more of what kind of tutoring you want. What kind of things do you hope to accomplish? What kind of experience do you have with bible software? What package do you have? Are there particular tasks you cannot seem to figure out?

Providing answers to these kinds of questions can both help you find the right tutor as well as other ways to learn. I understand some people prefer the level of personal interaction that comes from tutoring, both skype and ichat work well for these kinds of interactions. My experience with helping others is that until you know what you want to "do" with the software, e.g. inductive bible study, supplement existing bible study, research a topic, textual research, etc., you'll have a tough time getting much out of tutoring even if someone can demo and all features. To learn something, you need to do it yourself repeatedly. Once you know what that might be, you'll find plenty of help here!

• 1 year later...

I am making my request again, maybe a more clearly this time:

I am looking for an etymological-minded Biblical Theological scholar to train me in the use of the Accordance Bible software package. I have found someone since I first made this request who has been extraordinarily helpful, but unable to provide the time and attention I would like.

I have long been a vocabulary scholar interested in the morphology of Greek verbs, the use/meaning of a word and/or a phrase in various related texts (such as comparing Sophocles with Plato), and so on. Now again I am studying this avocation, looking for words and/or phrases in Biblical usages, e.g., looking for comparative occurrences of the phrase “come to save” in quite a number of different Bibles to see how it is used here in the King James Version, there in the Contemporary English Version, and so on and on.

I hope to find someone who can train me one-on-one. I would be most glad if the potential tutor would be able to meet with me in person in the lower Westchester County area of New York State, but also quite glad to work with someone located anywhere using Skype or FaceTime, and would be glad to take a webinar-course with someone without the face-to-face work of Skype and FaceTime, etc., who would provide textbook information presented logically (a PDF would be fine) so I would have materials to study along with.

- Heidi

• 1 year later...

Still looking ...

I hope to find a tutor who can train me one-on-one. I would prefer to meet in-person in lower Westchester County, New York, but also quite glad to work with someone using Skype or FaceTime; I am also open to taking a webinar-course with, textbook information (a PDF would be fine) so I would have materials to study along with.

Thank you in advance for suggestions, leads, etc., etc.