• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:44 PM

I would love to see the following references added:

1. Kistemaker/Hendriksen NT Commentary
2. Complete works of Jonathan Edwards
3. Complete writings of John Murray
4. Bavink's Reformed Dogmatics (book 3 of I think 5 has just been released)
5. Church of England's Books of Common Prayer, Lectionary, and Daily Office (Perhaps some of this could link into iCal)
6. Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology
7. As much Martyn Lloyd-Jones as is available
8. As much JI Packer as is available
9. NIV-Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible (Richard Pratt)
10. An RC Sproul library

As for language capabilities, I would absolutely love to see:

1. a way to highlight and parse only verbs (or any other "only") in the syntax window.
2. It would be great to have the syntax window exportable in an Excel spreadsheet or Word/Pages table.
3. an option for lexicons and dictionaries to open up in a panel, rather than a separate tab

As for general possibilities:

1. a "reverse" or "undo" or "go back" button in the workspace
2. some kind of notepad that is not tagged to Scripture that you can copy and paste from into documents, or delete at the end of the session (Bibleworks has something similar and it is very useful)
3. an option to include citation when copying text into a document (like the widget does)

Forgive me, I am new to Accordance, and if these things are possible, I'm sure I will figure them out, or workarounds in due time. I love this software!

Sincerely,

Charlie Vensel

#2 David Lang

David Lang

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Accordance development, writing, spending time with my wife and five kids
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:22 PM

Charlie,

Much of what you're wanting to do is already possible. See below.

1. a way to highlight and parse only verbs (or any other "only") in the syntax window.

We don't have this option for the Syntax window, but you can do it in the Parsing window. Select text, click the Parse button, select "Set Parsing Display" from the Display menu, choose "Parts of Speech" from the Parse pop-up menu, then check the Verb checkbox.

2. It would be great to have the syntax window exportable in an Excel spreadsheet or Word/Pages table.

Copy and paste works great, or you can save as a text file. Both options give you tab-delimited text, which should paste fine into a spreadsheet or Pages table. In Pages, I found that I had to set the right number of rows and columns beforehand, then select the whole table before doing Paste. If you just have one cell selected, all the text will paste into that single cell.

3. an option for lexicons and dictionaries to open up in a panel, rather than a separate tab

See this recent entry from the Accordance blog on working with Workspaces.

1. a "reverse" or "undo" or "go back" button in the workspace

Go back to what?

2. some kind of notepad that is not tagged to Scripture that you can copy and paste from into documents, or delete at the end of the session (Bibleworks has something similar and it is very useful)

You can create a new user tool for this very purpose.

3. an option to include citation when copying text into a document (like the widget does)

Choose "Citation" from the "Copy As" submenu of the Edit menu.

Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
David Lang
Accordance Developer
http://www.accordancebible.com

Author:
Feet to Follow, Eyes to See
http://feettofollow.wordpress.com

Macs in the Ministry
http://www.macsinministrybook.com

Leader of the "Lang Gang"
http://www.langgangland.com
http://twitter.com/DavidAllenLang

#3 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,705 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:29 PM

We'll take note of your requests for modules, add them to our long list of what everybody wants....

David pre-empted me with the same answers on the features as I was writing, but much better written.

Glad you love the software. We've been developing it for 14 years now, and there are not many features that haven't been suggested already. If they are not implemented it is usually because there were more important ones that we felt had to be done first.

Maybe we should start offering prizes for really innovative ideas that are also widely useful. ;)
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#4 Robb Brunansky

Robb Brunansky

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:57 PM

Prizes are a great idea! When does that begin? B)

And I'd like to see the above resources as well, especially Lloyd-Jones, Edwards, and Murray. And while we're at it, why not add John Owen to the mix?

Edited by Robb Brunansky, 06 April 2006 - 09:59 PM.

Soli Deo Gloria,
Robb Brunansky

#5 cvensel

cvensel

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:59 AM

David,

Thank you...all of this helps! As I said, I am new and working my way through much of this.

You mentioned that my copy/paste functions should be tab-deliminated. When I paste into Excel, etc, everything goes into one cell. I'm hoping to be able to sort. Any thoughts?

Charlie

#6 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:06 AM

Charlie:

The Copy and Paste with tabs does work with the AppleWorks spreadsheet. I don't have Excel. Can anyone comment on iWorks or Excel?

You can also try drag-and-drop or saving as an RTF text file. (No, drag-and-drop only works between Syntax windows, sorry.)

Edited by Helen Brown, 07 April 2006 - 09:09 AM.

Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#7 cvensel

cvensel

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 12:04 PM

Helen,

Thanks for the info. I am trying to do this with Appleworks, but it is still all pasting one one line each entry. This is an improvement over Excel, though is it possible to have "verb", "number" , etc. appear in separate columns? And, how might I get the Greek font to show up in Appleworks?

Thanks again,

Charlie

#8 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:28 PM

Only the Syntax window copies with tabs, not the Parsing (for now). Once it is in the spreadsheet you can select a column and turn the font to Helena. Appleworks does not support Unicode.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#9 B Tan

B Tan

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:51 PM

7. As much Martyn Lloyd-Jones as is available

I would like to second the request for studies and sermons by Martyn Lloyd-Jones.

#10 Kit

Kit

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Hebrew, Greek, Textual Criticism, Church History, OT, NT, Dead Sea Scrolls, Ancient history

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:48 PM

I would like to see the table feature in the User Tool module. Thx

#11 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,931 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:26 PM

Helen,

Thanks for the info. I am trying to do this with Appleworks, but it is still all pasting one one line each entry. This is an improvement over Excel, though is it possible to have "verb", "number" , etc. appear in separate columns? And, how might I get the Greek font to show up in Appleworks?

Thanks again,

Charlie

You should be able to copy/paste this info from Acc. to Excel and retain the columns. The Key, as Helen mentioned, is to select the appropriate number of columns before pasting. Below, my Syntax window had 5 columns (including 1 blank), I selected 5 columns and guessed on the number of rows and it automatically preserved everything. Double-clicking on the column divider will automatically adjust the column width to fit the text. This also worked in the Parse and List All Book Names.

HTH…

Attached File  Screen shot 2009-10-30 at 1.22.47 PM.png   178.79KB   43 downloads

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development
iOS Working Group

#12 Brance

Brance

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Church planting, bluegrass music, macintosh
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:45 AM

Charlie:

The Copy and Paste with tabs does work with the AppleWorks spreadsheet. I don't have Excel. Can anyone comment on iWorks or Excel?

You can also try drag-and-drop or saving as an RTF text file. (No, drag-and-drop only works between Syntax windows, sorry.)

Copy and Paste from the syntax window to Number09 works great. I just select all (or whatever you want) in the syntax window, then open a numbers spreadsheet, select the field you wish to be the upper left, and paste. it will paste the info from the syntax window into the Numbers spreadsheet starting with the selected field as the upper left and putting the info into the appropriate fields from there.

Couldn't be simpler.
------------------------
Brance Gillihan
PO Box 1069
Pulaski, VA 24301

Pulaski PCA
Aleethia!
Clear Blue Productions
Adora Productions

Colossians 1:18 …that in everything he might be preeminent.

#13 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,931 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:50 AM

6. Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology

Not sure if you figured this out yet, but we already have this available, see here.

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development
iOS Working Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users