How do I compare search results to each other?

Bret Hicks

I am wanting to find how many times the Greek word ekklesia is NOT translated as "church" in the NT. I can obviously do a lemma search on ekklesia and then sort through the results manually, but I am sure there must be a way to do this. If I want to see how many times it is not translated as "church" by either the NIV or the ESVS, how would I do this?

In Christ,

Bret Hicks

Bret:

From a workspace with the ESVS or NIV G/K, you can search for the Key Word [G1577] for ESVS or [G1711] for NIV G/K*. Once you've run your search, open the analysis display. There it will list out each English word and its frequency for translating the Greek work.

* You could also right click or control click on any Key Numbered Translation, select Search For>Lemma.

This search string should work for you (in ESVS):

[KEY G1577] @-church*

Thanks for the replies. That will certainly work for that specific example, but I am also thinking of a more general search. For example, how would I find where the LXX does not use ekklesia for the hebrew word qatal. Is there a way to do such a thing? Either by directly doing a single search that compares them, or by doing a search in BHS for qatal, and then doing a search on the resulting verses to see where the LXX does not have qatal?

Another type of example might be doing a search within Psalm 119 for all of the synonyms for the word of God used in the Psalm. If I compose a search for those 8 terms, it returns 172 verses having at least one of the words. How would I discover which verses are NOT included. I assume there is a way to compare the result of 172 verses with the list of all 176 verses and pointing out which ones are missing. Does that make sense?

In Christ,

Bret

Thanks for the replies. That will certainly work for that specific example, but I am also thinking of a more general search. For example, how would I find where the LXX does not use ekklesia for the hebrew word qatal. Is there a way to do such a thing? Either by directly doing a single search that compares them, or by doing a search in BHS for qatal, and then doing a search on the resulting verses to see where the LXX does not have qatal?

This is easily done in Accordance with the MT-LXX module. You will need to learn how to use the [MERGE ?] command, so as to compare the LXX with the MT. Within the Help Menu of Accordance, you can access the training materials on the help command. Also don't forget about the Help Manual.

For any comparison work between the LXX and BHS, you'll want the MT-LXX Parallel module. It allows you to conduct quite sophisticated searches and work with the results in a variety of ways.

Here's a possible way to do what you mention in your second paragraph above:

1. Open the BHS and run a search for the 8 terms (make sure you limit the range to Psalms via the range command or by utilizing a custom pre-defined range).

2. Open a second tab with the BHS and enter the following command:

[RANGE PS] <NOT> [CONTENTS BHS-W4]

Make sure the last portion of the contents command references the tab with your search results from step 1. When you run the search, Accordance will display for you all the verses in Psalms which do not contain one of those 8 terms for which you searched.

Archived