Aramaic and Syriac Lexicons

peguard

I love Accordance and I use it everyday in my studies but I miss good lexicons for research in aramaic texts.

Accordance should be proud about the digital versions of the Targumim, in aramaic and english languages, but good lexicons are necessary to be able to do a fruitful research. Since the Onkelos Dictionary is really insufficient and BDB and HALOT just cover the vocabulary contain in the Hebrew Bible, I would make two suggestions. There is the Jastrow M., A Dictionary of Targumim, Talmud & Midrashim, that is old and offers both hebrew and aramaic words but is very useful offering the vocalization of the words. Besides, Michael Solokoff has published recently several lexicons, fruit of scientific research on the texts, as part of The Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon Project. The more suitable of them for targumic studies is A Dictionary of Jewish Palestinian Aramaic of the Byzantine Period (Publications of Bar Ilan University Press: Ramat-Gan, Israel / The Johns Hopkins University Press: Baltimore and London, 2002).

About the Peshitta, the text modules are tagged but insufficiently, without words' meanings and we lack as well good lexicons. There are few resources in internet but at least exist the Analytical Lexicon of the Syriac NT of George Anton Kiraz, in digital form (see Logos module). If you want to offer a better Lexicon that includes Old and New Testaments would be the classic and complete R. Payne Smith, A Compendious Syriac Dictionary.

There is a new syriac lexicon coming up but I heard that only the first volume has been published.

If Accordance could offer such resources I think many biblical scholars and students would be both grateful and interested.

Pedro Guardiola

Edited by peguard
  • Like 2

Yes, we are looking into several of these, but there is no etext for Jastrow, and the investment needed to prepare any of them for Accordance is considerable.

• 1 year later...

Nöldeke would be worthy to add to the list! There is an etext, but I am unsure who holds the rights.

Edited by James Tucker
  • Like 1

Just out of sheer curiosity, for there to be an etext of something just means that it exists in some kind of electronic form, whether pdf, etc.? Or are there only certain formats of etexts that work for Accordance to be able to use?

Just out of sheer curiosity, for there to be an etext of something just means that it exists in some kind of electronic form, whether pdf, etc.? Or are there only certain formats of etexts that work for Accordance to be able to use?

PDFs are typically insufficient since the method to create them varies. If the text in a PDF is selectable it means it was either exported in another app, or that someone ran OCR on it. These can sometimes be used, but we would rather have the format that it originated in since they better represent paragraph and character styles.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I want to bump Peguard's original post and ask if there is any love coming down the pipe for the Peshitta? Any lexicons coming? How about improving the tagged texts with some English?

On a slightly different note, anyone know of a good debate (good as in William Lane Craig vs Sean Carroll caliber) on Greek vs Aramaic primacy of the NT? Googling has just lead me to the "fanatics'" websites with poorly thought-out arguments.

Thanks!

Wow that is a $100 book! And looks quite technical judging from the table of contents (which probably why you said "technologized written word"!). Perhaps I should have stated that I have some Greek education but nothing in Aramaic. Does Joosten argue for Aramaic primacy? I can't tell for sure from the table of contents if primacy is a topic that is covered in the collected research.

Thanks for the feedback James.

Two years after my first request for aramaic tools, do we have any hope to get any of them? It is really difficult to work with texts without the proper tools... I hope 'Accordance' will reconsider this and provide some of the modules in the future.

Two years after my first request for aramaic tools, do we have any hope to get any of them? It is really difficult to work with texts without the proper tools... I hope 'Accordance' will reconsider this and provide some of the modules in the future.

I hope so too.

• 1 year later...

Logos has already available an e-text of Jastrow's Dictionary. What about Accordance?

Edited by peguard
  • Like 1