Can I create a Hebrew Reader (using BHS)?

Adam Szymanski

I was wondering if I could create a Hebrew Reader... I want to read the first 10 chapters of Genesis and have a screen with definitions of rare words.

Right now I do the following:

[RANGE Gen 1:1-Gen 10:32] <and> [COUNT 1-10]

Then, I run an Analysis and get my basic list of words that occur 1 to 10 times in this range.

1) I would like to see # of occurances in the OT, not in this range

2) I would like the Analysis to return words below a # of occurances in the OT, not this range.

Right now, my returned analysis list has lots of words that occur quite often in the OT.

Is this possible?

Thank you.

What is the "Search in Every" dropdown set to? (Just to the right of the Words|Verses buttons)?

When I leave "Search in Every" to all text and run the search you specified ([RANGE Gen 1:1-Gen 10:32] <and> [COUNT 1-10]), I get only those words that occur 10 or fewer times in the entire Hebrew Bible (your #2 request) although the count is the # in the specified range (the opposite of your #1 request.)

I only get common words if I run a search for [COUNT 1-10] and set "Search in Every" to a custom range of Genesis 1-10.

The Concordance tab of the Details window will show you all the places where the words in question occur, if the the Set Concordance Display preferences are set to do so.

Lorinda

Great! I had no idea how the 'Search in every' portion would change things. Do you know if there is a way that I can see # of occurances in the whole OT text?

The COUNT command is one of the few commands whose results vary depending on how you set the Range. I never remember which way is which, so I have to either experiment or check the help each time.

I don't know a way to get a count in the entire Hebrew Bible in the details zone for the search you ran, but you can do this:

Open another BHS-W4 search text tab, and enter:

[HITS BHS-W4]

(This assumes that BHS-W4 is the name of the tab with your original search)

Then open a details zone on that search.

Lorinda

You can also create a list of rare words organized by verse reference (similar to Armstrong, Busby, and Carr) and have it in a zone next to your hebrew text. I describe how to make this (for a NT passage; its the same for an OT passage) here.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I hope this helps.

Rob,

Thank you! You really exposed me to a whole new area of Accordance. I think between the two answers I am good to go!

(I still wish I could see total frequency of a word in the OT though).

Thanks again!

Adam, let me clarify a few things.

1) [RANGE] vs. the Range popup menu. Most of the time these are fairly synonymous. However, they actually make a big difference when running COUNT searches. The [RANGE] command takes a search and shows you just the results within the given range. The Range popup menu limits the actual search, rather than just the results. For example, [COUNT 1] [RANGE Gen] finds all of the single use words for the entire text, but shows you only the ones that occur in Genesis. Running this search in English gives you results like 'Pishon' that occur once in the entire text, in Gen 2:11. On the other hand, [COUNT 1] run with a Range popup menu set to Genesis gives you many more hits, as you get every word occuring once within that range. Consider the differing results in the screenshot:Screen shot 2012-04-02 at 7.47.08 PM.png

2) The [HITS BHS-W4] command that Lorinda referred to is a great way to study your hit words a bit better. It does a search for every words that was a result of your previous search. So, a simple Analysis of your [HITS] search will show you the frequency of every word found in your prior search.

So, assuming that you actually want the words that occur 10 or fewer times within your specific Genesis range, you should use the Range popup. Then, duplicate your tab and run a search for [HITS] ( be sure to return the range to [All Text]!), then click the details button to see how they are each used throughout the entire text. Consider this full screenshot:Screen shot 2012-04-02 at 7.54.15 PM.png

Just for comparison, here are the noticably different results using the [RANGE] command. Since the [RANGE] command searches the entire text, but then shows you only the results within a range, it is only giving you the words that occur 1-10 times *anyway*. So, running the HITS and details shows you that these words only occur

Hope this all makes sense!

PS: Small tip, just doing the chapter will include all the verses, so you can define a range with just Gen 1-10. You only need to specify the verses if you want specific portions of the chapters.

• Like 1

[Chuckle] What a great thread! You've actually anticipated the next podcast topic. :-) [And yes, I used Joel as a resource for it.]

• Like 1