Barclay's Daily Study Bible

Chuck Schneider

I've watched the video, but I'm still curious about whether this works under the "daily reading" feature of Accordance or is it like a commentary?

It's a commentary. I really don't know why they called it a Daily Study Bible.

Chuck,

It is a commentary but each section is in small enough chunks that it makes a really fine daily devotional also.

Helen,

Is Barclay's translation of the New Testament included in the module text?

In the print books, the Bible text that heads each section is his translation but any Biblical text in the commentary is based on the RSV - at least it is in my print editions. Just curious.

Thanks for making this resource available!

Greg, Barclay's translation is included, and it is in its own field, so you can search the translation itself.

Greg, Barclay's translation is included, and it is in its own field, so you can search the translation itself.

Editor’S Preface

(by Linda Foster)

When the first volume of the original Daily Bible Readings, which later became The Daily Study Bible (the commentary on Acts), was published in 1953, no one could have anticipated or envisaged the revolution in the use of language which was to take place in the last quarter of the twentieth century. Indeed, when the first revised edition, to which William Barclay refers in his General Introduction, was completed in 1975, such a revolution was still waiting in the wings. But at the beginning of the twenty-first century, inclusive language and the concept of political correctness are well-established facts of life. It has therefore been with some trepidation that the editing of this unique and much-loved text has been undertaken in producing The New Daily Study Bible. Inevitably, the demands of the new language have resulted in the loss of some of Barclay’s most sonorous phrases, perhaps best remembered in the often-repeated words ‘many a man’. Nonetheless, this revision is made in the conviction that William Barclay, the great communicator, would have welcomed it. In the discussion of Matthew 9:16–17 (‘The Problem of the New Idea’), he affirmed the value of language that has stood the test of time and in which people have ‘found comfort and put their trust’, but he also spoke of ‘living in a changing and expanding world’ and questioned the wisdom of reading God’s word to twentieth-century men and women in Elizabethan English. It is the intention of this new edition to heed that warning and to bring William Barclay’s message of God’s word to readers of the twenty-first century in the language of their own time.

In the editorial process, certain decisions have been made in order to keep a balance between that new language and the familiar Barclay style. Quotations from the Bible are now taken from the New Revised Standard Version, but William Barclay’s own translation of individual passages has been retained throughout. Where the new version differs from the text on which Barclay originally commented, because of the existence of an alternative reading, the variant text is indicated by square brackets. I have made no attempt to guess what Barclay would have said about the NRSV text; his commentary still refers to the Authorized (King James) and Revised Standard Versions of the Bible, but I believe that the inclusive language of the NRSV considerably assists the flow of the discussion.

For similar reasons, the dating conventions of bc and ad—rather than the more recent and increasingly used bce (before the common era) and ce (common era)—have been retained. William Barclay took great care to explain the meanings of words and phrases and scholarly points, but it has not seemed appropriate to select new terms and make such explanations on his behalf.

One of the most difficult problems to solve has concerned monetary values. Barclay had his own system for translating the coinage of New Testament times into British currency. Over the years, these equivalent values have become increasingly out of date, and often the force of the point being made has been lost or diminished. There is no easy way to bring these equivalents up to date in a way that will continue to make sense, particularly when readers come from both sides of the Atlantic. I have therefore followed the only known yardstick that gives any feel for the values concerned, namely that a denarius was a day’s wage for a working man, and I have made alterations to the text accordingly.

One of the striking features of The Daily Study Bible is the range of quotations from literature and hymnody that are used by way of illustration. Many of these passages appeared without identification or attribution, and for the new edition I have attempted wherever possible to provide sources and authors. In the same way, details have been included about scholars and other individuals cited, by way of context and explanation, and I am most grateful to Professor John Drane for his assistance in discovering information about some of the more obscure or unfamiliar characters. It is clear that readers use The Daily Study Bible in different ways. Some look up particular passages while others work through the daily readings in a more systematic way. The descriptions and explanations are therefore not offered every time an individual is mentioned (in order to avoid repetition that some may find tedious), but I trust that the information can be discovered without too much difficulty.

Finally, the ‘Further Reading’ lists at the end of each volume have been removed. Many new commentaries and individual studies have been added to those that were the basis of William Barclay’s work, and making a selection from that ever-increasing catalogue is an impossible task. It is nonetheless my hope that the exploration that begins with these volumes of The New Daily Study Bible will go on in the discovery of new writers and new books.

Throughout the editorial process, many conversations have taken place—conversations with the British and American publishers, and with those who love the books and find in them both information and inspiration. Ronnie Barclay’s contribution to this revision of his father’s work has been invaluable. But one conversation has dominated the work, and that has been a conversation with William Barclay himself through the text. There has been a real sense of listening to his voice in all the questioning and in the searching for new words to convey the meaning of that text. The aim of The New Daily Study Bible is to make clear his message, so that the distinctive voice, which has spoken to so many in past years, may continue to be heard for generations to come.

Linda Foster

London

Excellent!! Thank you, David & Team Accordance

• Like 1

Purchased the Barclay Module today and am delighted to have it in Accordance. In addition to the print books which I have had for 20 years, I believe this is the third time I have purchased an electronic text of it.

Thanks again!

I have owned the gospels since the revised New Daily Study Bible came out in 2001, then I got the 1975 second edition with it's OT counterpart, just before it was pulled from Logos distribution rights. And I was happy to get the updated version when it got released. I have never regretted it once. The new edition has corrections and updated attribution (many of Barclay's quotes we unattributed). I have seen a lot of people complain the 1975 edition which this one is based on is so much poorer to the original from the 50s but I use it most every day and usually find myself nourished spiritually from it. I would not hesitate recommending this fine series for any Christian.

-Dan

Would it be possible at some point to extract the translation and release it as a module itself? I am thrilled it is available and a searchable field, but it would be even more useable as a text module.

You guys do such a good job you just make us want more and more. :)

Tony Lawrence