Studying the Bible with Accordance

Todd Mogilner

I want to learn to study the bible with Accordance. For instance I want to study Romans 7 & 8 and spend some time learning and really trying to understand it.

I have this great tool to help me study the bible, but honestly I have no clue how to use it effectively. I am able to flail about open commentaries, dictionaries and do searches, look at maps, etc, I do NOT have a discipline or a methodology to my studying. I want to build one. I want to learn to study the text using Accordance to all of its ability, not because Accordance is cool and gives me all these tools, but because the Bible is God's Word. I want Accordance to help me and all it contains to help me learn about the God we love.

I am not a pastor, or student. have absolutely no understanding of Greek and Hebrew. I barely speak English (yes it is my first and only language).

The reason why I want to study God's Word is not to be smarter, but just to stay sane and survive living in a world that is driven by the enemy (flesh, world and the devil). I know the only way you do that is to study and meditate on God's Word. The more you study God's Word, the more you learn about God, and the more you learn about God, the more you love Him and His Son.

I am looking for workspace suggestions, methodology, steps you take when studying. This may sound really bad, but I seem to study best when I am using my computer.

In case it helps I am using Accordance 10.

Thank You and God Bless

Edited by Todd Mogilner
  • Like 1

Hi Todd,

there are few better places to go that Tim Jenney's podcasts (unless you can go to a demonstration in person).

as a starter, can I suggest you look at the iTunes vidcasts "Lighting the Lamp". They are superb.

And in particular as a starter for looking at a book (rather than just a chapter, though the principles are the same) try this one http://www.accordancebible.com/site/resources/multimedia/podcast/?category_id=3318835

All the podcasts and some great videos are on the accordancebible website in the support section. The good thing about the vidcasts is that you can stop and easily rewind and play again. When you have had a look, please come back and ask whatever else you would like.

No it doesn't sound really bad. I think many of us find the same, and we would love to assist you along the path of some real Bible study (in English - at least for a start).

Anyway, have a look and keep asking questions!

Ken,

If I may say so, I thought that was a kind and helpful response to Todd. I am always impressed by the help of so many on these Forums to so many and especially with the patient help given to 'beginners'. Now as a beginner myself (even after several years of having Accordance) I wanted to look at your suggestion. When I tried to open the link I received the following message: "no RSS Reader is installed". I have never seen that before and am not quite sure what to do with it!

Thanks,

Kevin.

Thank you James,

Your link did open up for me (not sure why the other one didn't) but gave me the whole list of podcasts. I am curious to know which one Ken had in mind and now which one you would 'bet a wooden nickel on'? (Once again 'tickled' on the other side of the Atlantic where we don't have nickels let alone wooden ones!)

Kevin.

Ah, I see Apple has yet to make their "Link to this Podcast" explicit to include the semantics of "this." I believe it's episode #69 How to Study A Book. I believe Tim references the popular How To Read A Book series that episode. These are great resources, and ones that I recommended to my mother who posed the same question to me that was posed above. Happy mining!

Oh, the wooden nickel is just an idiom. :)

Edited by James Tucker

Thank you once again. Another example of what I said above about so many kind and helpful responses from so many. And yes, with your help I continued the mining and came up with one of Dr. J's golden nickels!

Kevin.

• Like 1

Another great way to look for a particular podcast is the Index page here: http://www.accordanc.../Podcasts-Index. I've been subscribed to the podcast for a couple years, but this is the best topical listing of the videos available. There is a whole section on "How to Study" and some "Sample Studies" and they are all excellent!

One other place I'd look at is David Lang's Blog post http://www.accordanc...With-Accordance.

There is a General Tool built into Accordance called "Beginning in Mark: An Example Accordance Bible Study" that walks you though some techniques for using Accordance to study the bible (using Mark chapter 1). It was written based on an older user interface, but I'm sure many of the concepts and techniques are still applicable.

There are several other modules that you may find helpful for general Bible Study techniques, listed here. You may already have a few of them installed, based on the package that you purchased.

Todd, I'm sure the Lord will bless your time in His word. I know He has for me.

-Scott

Edited by Scott Stringer

I want to learn to study the bible with Accordance. For instance I want to study Romans 7 & 8 and spend some time learning and really trying to understand it.

I have this great tool to help me study the bible, but honestly I have no clue how to use it effectively. I am able to flail about open commentaries, dictionaries and do searches, look at maps, etc, I do NOT have a discipline or a methodology to my studying. I want to build one. I want to learn to study the text using Accordance to all of its ability, not because Accordance is cool and gives me all these tools, but because the Bible is God's Word. I want Accordance to help me and all it contains to help me learn about the God we love.

I am not a pastor, or student. have absolutely no understanding of Greek and Hebrew. I barely speak English (yes it is my first and only language).

The reason why I want to study God's Word is not to be smarter, but just to stay sane and survive living in a world that is driven by the enemy (flesh, world and the devil). I know the only way you do that is to study and meditate on God's Word. The more you study God's Word, the more you learn about God, and the more you learn about God, the more you love Him and His Son.

I am looking for workspace suggestions, methodology, steps you take when studying. This may sound really bad, but I seem to study best when I am using my computer.

In case it helps I am using Accordance 10.

Thank You and God Bless

Hi Todd,

To begin with it would be a good idea if you let us know what package you purchased of Accordance 10, or let us know which texts and modules you have.

in addition to the recommendations above, an excellent book that can help you study the Bible (and not just read it for devotions) is

Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart, How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth (Zondervan, 1982)

available as an Accordance module see http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=How+To-Read+Bible

This book doesn't give a bible study methodology as such, but before we come to that it helps us to see the different kinds of books and writings that are in the Bible, and is a very useful tool to understanding how we can understand the different parts of the Bible today.

So to begin with I would recommend reading that. There are many other resources available of course,

Alistair

Thanks for all the kinds words and additional helpful comments James and Scott and Alistair, The bad link is an interesting issue, and seems to be a failure on Apple's side. The url was copied directly from iTunes (Yes - how to study a book James...well picked) and so you would expect it to "just work", but it "just doesn't".

A little of asking Dr Google and I found this on red-sweater...

"You have to have a dedicated RSS client on your Mac to take advantage of the extension. Mail used to handle RSS in 10.7 but they took that feature out, hence the error message you’re seeing."

So, we need an RSS reader to us this properly. Go figure that for an intuitive change. Starting to feel a little Redmondish to me. I don't see why it doesn't just take you to iTunes, or the webpage....but then again, I am no programmer.

So, install an RSS reader...I prefer Reeder...so I reinstalled Reeder (I took it out when I installed ML as I don't use it very much) and set it as my default RSS reader (it asked me to do that on install). Now when I open the podcast URL it asks me to subscribe to the podcast, but only shows me the latest podcast! So it still didn't take me to the video I wanted.

Sigh....I guess it's because the podcast url is specific to the podcast not the episode.

a much more useful link is this (tested this time)

http://www.accordancebible.com/resources/multimedia/details/?id=142023

Edited by Ken Simpson

You guys are awesome and have really already blessed me with some resources! As with anything Accordance there is an abundance of ideas. I plan on sorting through the ideas and modules as soon as I can.

I am interested in how people study so I hope people will share how they do it and what they do. I think it is interesting and will help me learn how to study.

I want to thank everyone who has responded so far for the great thoughts.

You guys are awesome and have really already blessed me with some resources! As with anything Accordance there is an abundance of ideas. I plan on sorting through the ideas and modules as soon as I can.

I am interested in how people study so I hope people will share how they do it and what they do. I think it is interesting and will help me learn how to study.

I want to thank everyone who has responded so far for the great thoughts.

Todd,

I hope you will come back here to let us know what progress you have made with all the suggestions above.

However, I suspect that what you really are looking for is a mentor.

I trust that you are attending a church with a strong emphasis on the Bible where the pastor/leaders/elders can encourage you and disciple you as well as help you in your Bible study.

Best wishes,

Alistair