Accordance Services Collection

agapeman

Bret,

Did you ask the same question in a comment on my blog? I will post below the reply I gave there. But basically, you need to read the Services ReadMe file included in the Accordance Services folder. But, also, I wrote a new Query Service for you that by default uses Citation, but allows you to do verses as well. You can download it here. Just replace your old Insert Query Verses 1st in the ~/Library/Services/ folder.

Yes, you have complete control over the format that is used. If you read the ReadMe file that comes with the Accordance Services folder, you will see instructions on how to customize a Service. I hope to post a video tutorial demonstrating this as well.

When you double-click a Service that's inside the ~/Library/Services/ folder, it will open in Automator and you will see several Property settings you can adjust. Read the ReadMe documentation and you can adjust what you want.

Basically, what you're seeing is that for the Insert Query Verses 1st Service, the Property copyAsCitation is set to false, while it's set to true for Insert Verses 1st.

If you set it to true, you can then go to Accordance and customize in the preferences the format for copying as citation.

Joe,

I did not ask the person on your blog - it must have been someone else. But I am a bit embarrassed that the answer is in the read me file. As a man of the Book (and a former computer programmer to boot) I should have known to look there. I guess my typical "I'm a man... Directions - we don't need no stinking directions" overwhelmed common sense :)

Thanks for the reply - and again thanks for all of this work. It is really appreciated!

In Christ,

Bret

Bret,

No prob. I think the ReadMe is pretty explanatory. I still would like to do a video demoing that you can pretty much make a Service do nearly anything you can dream up.

Joe

Joe:

You may want to fix a slight design bug. On a null return of search for verse, the display dialog is behind whatever application is front most. I believe this can be remedied by wrapping the error within a tell Finder block to make Finder Front.

James,

Thanks for the interaction. The design bug is in Accordance. When Accordance receives a bad parameter in an Apple event call, such as this:

tell
application
"Accordance"
to
«
event
AccdTxRf» {"NRSVS", "BadReference 1:1",
true
}

Accordance brings up a modal dialog box saying something like:

The book "BadReference" cannot be found.

Or if the module name is wrong:

The text "NRSvoops" is not currently available to Accordance.

The dialog box is in the background because it belongs to Accordance; notice how Accordance comes to the front when you bring the dialog box to the front. I have no control over this behavior. This is not the proper way to code the situation. An app should never respond to a silent Apple event call with a modal GUI dialog box like this.

And what is worse, Accordance returns no result (nil or "" or a text string error message). This is what causes a second error dialog box displaying a type -1 script error. But, on the bright side, Accordance no longer crashes; that bug was fixed in the latest update.

I can trap for the second error dialog, but that is pointless since it doesn't fix the problem, and should never happen in the first place.

Edited by Joe Weaks

Thanks for looking into it, Joe. I was in a hurry yesterday to get a chart made contrasting MT/DSS(Mur88)/LXX(Gött) Amos 9:11-12 with /NA27 Acts 15:16-17, and didn't recognize that Accordance was holding the error, or rather not returning a null for you to warn the user of a unsuccessful event. Thanks for the script! It's saving me some precious time for my essay on 1Sam 17:1f.

Thanks for being helpful, either way, James. You can see the same problematic behavior with the official widget. Search for a bad text reference there as well and Accordance app gets a persistent error dialog box. I hope they consider changing this behavior.

I'm glad you're finding the Script Library useful. I'm delighted to see how many downloads so far.

• 2 months later...

Joe,

I have loved using your scripts and have them set up the way I like on my old Mac. I am transferring over to a new Mac. Is there a way to copy over the Scripts and settings (hot keys and such) from the old Mac to the new one? Or do I have to reinstall and redo the hot key setup and such?

Once again, thanks for your work on this. I can't imagine doing my weekly work without it!

In Christ,

Bret Hicks

Is there a way to copy over the Scripts and settings (hot keys and such) from the old Mac to the new one? Or do I have to reinstall and redo the hot key setup and such?
Bret,

I actually don't know if custom hot-key assignments you've made to Services will transfer in migration assistant. My guess is no.

The Services themselves should transfer, though.

If you're doing a manual transfer to the new computer, then there is probably a plist pref file that stores the keyboard assignments, but I wouldn't recommend trying to transfer it.

Before you decommission the old mac, take a screen shot of the keyboard assignments so you have a reference to work off of.

Gratz on the new Mac, and glad you find the Accordance Services so helpful. I think they are too; not sure why any Accordance user would NOT use them. :)

Joe,

Unfortunately, migration assistant was almost a total bust on the transfer. As was Time Machine - but that is another (frustrating) story. So it has been manual. I guess I will just have to re-run the scripts and hen set things up again.

I am glad to have a newer MacBook Pro (late 2011), and look forward to really using it after I get everything set up properly.

In Christ,

Bret

Then, yes, a manual fresh setup will be most expeditious.

Just drag the Services you want into the ~/Library/Services/ folder and then go to System Preferences/Keyboard/Shortcuts tab to reassign the key shortcuts.

I fought with this thing for hours... I had them in the right folders but nothing would work. There were nothing in preferences under services.. nothing. I didn't do a thing and there they were. No clue. I don't have a PhD in computer programming so I haven't a clue. I had all my texts in folders to organize them and that seemed to cause all the services not to work so I killed all my folders and then I tried looking a verse up and I got 52 windows in Evernote. No clue why but it was trying to add every single one of those services as a note. Took me forever to get all those windows closed. I've never even used services before on a Mac. Used it for 5 years now and the last year and a half as my only computer. Apparently they work some kind of automation voodoo that makes things go insane. Anybody ever have evernote explode like this? And there was some other program I installed on a trial 6 months ago and haven't figured out what arcane incantations will get it out of my system yet... Mac makes everything so hard to figure out. I think it was called papers. That came open too. I didn't alter anything. I opened up a script or two and looked in there and there was not a thing there I could make any sense of as I don't have a PhD in programming and have no idea what I am looking at. I am sure it is something I am doing. I'm almost afraid to remove the stuff I put in there as that might cause something else to stop working.

Arcanemuse,

I am not sure what the issue was for you. When I have followed Joe's instructions it works flawlessly - and does nothing to Evernote. I hope they can help you figure it out, because the services really improve exporting data and such.

In Christ,

Bret

Arcanemuse,

As Bret said, if you follow Joe's instructions it should work. If you are still having trouble by the end of the week let me know and I will try to help you. We are visiting family out of town the first part of the week. Just send me a message me through the forum.

I'll do that, Tony. This dummy appreciates any help he can get. Thank you. I managed to get into one of the scripts with Text Wrangler and the part where it said NIV11 I changed to reflect NIV 84 with G/K. When I highlight a chapter and verse number and send it to Accordance, it opens up to that chapter and verse in the NIV 1984 with G/K just fine. It also still opens up 52 windows in Evernote still. I thought it might be my fault for changing that but when I use Accordance Verses ESVS just the way it is, it does the exact same thing. I guess I can't have Evernote on my system and use this? Papers is gone. I searched until my eyes quit and found an app that would make it go away forever. Inserting verses into the text works very well. I can see a handy use for that. Maybe I should just use what works and disable what doesn't.

Arcanemuse,

I have Evernote on my system and have never noticed this problem. I suspect it is something else. This may sound silt, but have you shut down Evernote and then restarted it and tried it again? Or shut down the Mac and see if it still happens?

Also, you do not have to modify the Scripts to have them use different versions. I have set NIV84 as my default English text, so the scripts for the default translation use it rather than NIV11 (or ESV, etc.) So, for example, I have set a hot-key sequence of CMD-OPT-CTRL-Q to insert whatever verse I ask for into my current document. When I do this, it inserts from the NIV84.

Hope it works well for you soon.

In Christ,

Bret

I haven't tried rebooting as it takes 15 minutes for everything to load after I do. I have a lot open and there are only 12 gigs of ram in this quad core iMac. I need about double that. I had to stop using Safari as it regularly uses up to 4 gigs of ram. Firefox runs in 32 bit mode, at least, and only takes up a gig or gig and a half on a bad day. I just shut down Evernote completely, though, and ran the script again. It did open Evernote but no other windows opened. Had Evernote been running, I am pretty sure I would be swatting another 54 windows closed. Maybe I just have to be sure to keep Evernote shut down when running that particular type of service. For now, anyway, that's probably the most sensible thing to do. I think the problem lies somewhere in the interaction between the main script and the services script. Since it creates a note containing a zip file of every single service when I just use one.... something weird is happening. Papers was also opening and it had similar cloud like abilities to it as well. All very very weird. I don't have a PhD in computer programming so I don't have a clue. I can follow along in a script just far enough to be dangerous and change a little thing here or there and see what happens. I changed the NIV as it has the NIV11 and I can't stand that thing. My change was good. I also don't want the NIV as default. I know my change didn't cause this as I tried another version I didn't touch and the same thing happened.

Arcane,

you should feel free to change the module name properties to the various services... as you see, they are written and commented to encourage you to do so.

My script library makes no reference to Evernote. I don't use Evernote, so don't have experience with it, but my guess is that the problem is a conflict with a global hotkey for Evernote. This Evernote Global hotkey is getting activated either by the same hotkey you are pressing to activate the Accordance Service, or perhaps by a keyboard shortcut that the Accordance Script Library is emulating in order to interact with Accordance.

Here is one list I I see online for Evernote global hotkeys. Perhaps an Evernote user (Bret?) could weigh in on which of those could be the culprit?

I am not using any keys, just the right click and then services.. but clearly it is tripping the switch in Evernote and it WAS opening Papers as well... I nuked that thing out of existence. I have just the default Evernote install. I didn't change anything there. Somehow, the New Note feature is being activated and it is zipping up all the scripts and then processing them. I'll fight with it for a few more hours and then give up I suppose. Daily I find something else with a computer that frustrates me to the point of just wanting to throw the whole thing out the window and just use books. Good thing I have a thick skull and am more stubborn than an ornery mule.....

This might help. When I put all those services in, I copied and pasted them. Since then, I copied and pasted a link from a website. Now it is creating a new note every time I send a verse to Accordance with the link to that website. Somehow the contents of the clipboard are being sent to Evernote as a new note every time I send a verse to Accordance. Also, no matter what version I use, it now seems to just want to put the verse up in the window and it is up to me to hit enter as it isn't doing it on its own. It's the contents of the clipboard. I am not sure how to clear the clipboard other than by copying something else. As I said... it's a good thing I have a hard head....

I have a similar issue with Evernote. It opens when I use the accordance verses service. This does not happen with the english tools service. I did try changing a global hotkey a while back. Can't remember if that made much of a difference. It still opens but at the moment it is not creating a new note.

I am not sure how to clear the clipboard other than by copying something else. As I said... it's a good thing I have a hard head....

First off, stop being hard-headed, and restart your computer. :)

It seems Evernote or another utility app has a clipboard history, and that some key shortcut used by the Accordance Script Library also activates this global "Save clipboard contents to a new Evernote note". Restarting might clear the clipboard history, but you still need to track down the global shortcut being activated. I can have a look at it, and provide you with a list of all keyboard shortcuts the script will initiate, and then you can test on your machine. It's only about 4 or 5 keyboard combinations.

It may take a week on account of the holidays.

I rebooted and it did clear the clipboard and that is all. It still creates a new note in Evernote. It's blank now but it is still a note. I'll just be careful not to have 50 things in the clipboard.... maybe just copy a sentence or something. One note I can discard easily enough. 50 or more windows flying at you is quite the distraction. At least I know why it did it... sort of. There must be some command to clear the clipboard. I did manage to find a way to see what is in the clipboard... Go to the Finder, click edit up top and then show clipboard. You can't do anything with it but you can at least see what it has in there so there won't be any nasty surprises.

It seems the conflict is with the Evernote Global command "Paste as new note" which is Command+Control+v (⌘⌃v). I see it in a menu screen capture here.

This is the keyboard command that the Accordance Script Library uses to force the Accordance window to be in "Verses" field search when running a Display in Accordance Service.

So, the Evernote global command is getting activated at that point.

From my understanding, the Evernote command opens a new note, using the clipboard contents. If it is a file, then it attaches the file. Try it yourself, manually. Go to any app, copy something to the clipboard, and then hit ⌘⌃v and you should see the same behavior.

So, the question that needs answering, is there a way to change or disable that global keyboard shortcut in Evernote? Does it show up in the System Preferences/Keyboard/Keyboard Shortcuts listing?

I didn't see anything in preferences. Then again, I haven't a clue what I was really look for. There wasn't really anything called Keyboard Shortcuts but there were shortcuts in services. I didn't see anything in there. I then looked in the preferences of Evernote itself and found a way to shut that off in there. I don't know if that is important or not. I don't use keyboard shortcuts much as my memory is bad and I can't remember where I put anything anymore... let alone remember too many shortcuts. Shutting that off seems to have cured it from doing that. Since I have never used that shortcut before, I probably won't miss it. Thanks for finding the switch so this dummy could turn it off! :-) What would you suggest I set that key to if I wanted to create a new one for it? I don't want something else weird to happen. :-)