Accordance keeps asking for non-existent modules on startup

Kotche

I've just installed Accordance 10 (though I was experiencing the same issue with Accordance 9) on my iMac running ML 10.8.2 and each time I attempt to launch the application Accordance prompts me to tell it where a particular module is.

When this occurs, it opens a dialogue box titled "Where is the file for the 'ESV' text?", opened at the Modules folder. I do not have this module. If I cancel, it opens up another dialogue box exactly the same. The application, if I leave it for a moment, then continues to gradually open additional dialogue boxes, all exactly the same. (I currently have 10 such dialogue boxes open since launching the app approximately 15 mins ago.) At which point, I can no longer cancel and must force-quit the application.

I've deleted the app, cleared the trash, and reinstalled, but the same result occurs.

Help!! :)

post-31547-0-14354900-1348563809_thumb.png

I would first try trashing the Startup session from user/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences. Then at least you can reopen Accordance.

If you have access to the old ESV module in a disk or backup you can install it as explained here yesterday. Otherwise you won't be able to open any prior workspaces in which you had the ESV.

Then you need to go through the Preferences and make sure that none of them reference ESV: Search tab, Tool Window, all the Parallels at least. You can replace it with the ESVS.

Thanks, Helen. I've managed to do away with the requests to locate the "ESV" text, by changing the default in the User Notes and Search prefs. However, now I am prompted to locate the text "Christian Biography" when I go to the Text Display and Tool Display prefs. I don't have this module, either. If I click on cancel, the entire app closes.

(Also, in the Parallels prefs, I can change the settings for each Parallel tab, but Accordance cannot find any of the listed modules. I don't seem to have any of the listed modules here.)

On restart of the app, I'm then prompted for text "AMP"! (I don't have that module, either.) Clicking cancel and the prompt is repeated. Cancelling again, I can then get back to Preferences. But then it's a rinse and repeat situation, so I'm going around in circles :)

I could not locate the folder in Finder you mentioned: user/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences

I don't have any old install disks.

Anything else you want me to try?

Edited by Kotche

Hi

since Helen won't be around for a few hours, I just want to make sure we are on the same page...

When you say "I could not locate the folder in Finder you mentioned: user/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences"

the way to find these files is to click on your desktop (actually any Finder window will do), press and hold OPTION key and then select "Library" from the "Go" menu. "Library" should be just under the "Home" entry in the list. This will open <User>/Library you should then see a large number of folders. One of them will be "Application Support" (we'll return here later) and another "Preferences". Double-click this and you will see lots of files and folders

One of the folders here will be Accordance Preferences. You can probably safely delete that whole folder - Accordance will recreate them - but just for the moment, drag them out onto your desktop (make sure they are gone from the Preferences folder). Restart Accordance and see if that helps.

Briefly back the the Application Support Folder. For most users of Accordance, inside this folder is a folder called "Accordance". This folder holds most of the other important files for Accordance (like your modules). Just pointing this out because it's useful to know this if there are other problems.

Let us know how you go.

Ok - I may have used a different method, so will try yours when I'm back in front of my Mac (won't be for several hours, yet).

Appreciate the response. I'll come back once I've had the opportunity to try again.

If you cannot fix things on your own, I am happy to screenshare and see what is going on. You may need to trash your entire Accordance Preferences and then reinstall using Easy Install. if the modules have been lost. That does sometimes happen.

@ Ken - I don't seem to have the Library option? (See attached image.)

@ Helen - I'll tinker around a bit more, but am otherwise open to screen sharing (though you'll need to instruct me how to do so). Also, we'd need to work out our timing differences since I'm in Melbourne, Australia!

post-31547-0-38182300-1348664647_thumb.png

Looks to me like you don't have the OPTION key pressed as you look at the menu. Though I guess I should ask: you are using Mountain Lion, or Lion aren't you?

I sent you a PM yesterday, but you have not replied. Please don't waste your time on this, but let us help you.

Hi Helen - yes, I received it. Many thanks. I haven't had much time to sit back at my Mac so was intending on replying later. Will coordinate a time with you via PM.

Helen and Ken - thank you both for your help and patience. After holding down OPTION and clicking on the Go menu in Finder, I could then locate the Accordance Preferences folder in Library > Preferences and delete it. On relaunching the app after this, I am no longer encountering the issues I described above.

Now to start familiarising myself with v10!

:)

Brilliant. Well done!