Can I export basic eBook / Kindle file?

Adam Szymanski

Hello.

I keep building my digital library and I would like to keep purchasing items from Accordance, but I find that some of my purchases (mostly resources) are more of a sit down and read type of digital purchase (i.e. Theological Dictionaries). Is there a way that I can export any of my resources to a format that could be used on a Kindle for anti-glare reading? I don't care about the Accordance features, just plain 'ole reading.... I suppose a linked Table of Contents would be nice.

Otherwise, I'm stuck between buying digital resources from Amazon or another place that are more of the "reading" type and then by digital resources from Accordance that are more of the "study/tool" type.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Indeed, I use my iPad currently for this feature, but I'd really like to start using the lightweight, non-glare Kindle for bulk reading.

Hello.

I keep building my digital library and I would like to keep purchasing items from Accordance, but I find that some of my purchases (mostly resources) are more of a sit down and read type of digital purchase (i.e. Theological Dictionaries). Is there a way that I can export any of my resources to a format that could be used on a Kindle for anti-glare reading? I don't care about the Accordance features, just plain 'ole reading.... I suppose a linked Table of Contents would be nice.

Otherwise, I'm stuck between buying digital resources from Amazon or another place that are more of the "reading" type and then by digital resources from Accordance that are more of the "study/tool" type.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You can print portions of resources to PDF and import them into your reader. See the helpful instructions here on how to isolate portions.

A downfall is that none of the hyperlinks will work, including footnotes. Personally I would sacrifice the screen for this functionality; but I don't mind reading on my iPad in the first place.

Edited by Rick Bennett
  • Like 1

Thank you, the PDF option seems decent, but would much rather have the whole book available in another eBook reader software.

The actual module files seem encoded somehow, so it doesn't look like I can convert them to a eBook format. By purchasing the digital module (say IVP Library), am I legally allowed to read that book in any digital reading software? The hyperlinks and footnotes are fine for some things, but I rarely care when reading large articles... in these cases I'd much rather be outside in the sunlight with a small Kindle reader and lose the Accordance features.

Is the PDF option the only way to make an export of a module? Are there any other converter tool/features that I could use? Do you happen to know how these files are written? (I was hoping they had some sort of eBook format, but it doesn't appear so).

Thank you, again.

Thank you, the PDF option seems decent, but would much rather have the whole book available in another eBook reader software.

The actual module files seem encoded somehow, so it doesn't look like I can convert them to a eBook format. By purchasing the digital module (say IVP Library), am I legally allowed to read that book in any digital reading software? The hyperlinks and footnotes are fine for some things, but I rarely care when reading large articles... in these cases I'd much rather be outside in the sunlight with a small Kindle reader and lose the Accordance features.

Is the PDF option the only way to make an export of a module? Are there any other converter tool/features that I could use? Do you happen to know how these files are written? (I was hoping they had some sort of eBook format, but it doesn't appear so).

Thank you, again.

Purchasing the module only gives you a license to use it in Accordance. Our license agreements with the respective publishers do not allow the user to export the entire resource. Our modules are a proprietary format that cannot be converted or used outside of our apps (this is standard for Bible software).

So, yes, printing or exporting portions of articles is the only method.

I hope this helps.

To be honest the PDF format from Accordance is pretty flexible, at least for a kindle. You just need to work out the correct font size to use to make it readable per page and make sure you use US Letter size (not an obvious setting for us in the UK!!). You can even highlight on the kindle. I've used the kindle to read sections of Jonathan Edwards works from Accordance very successfully. Although like James I now tend to use the iPad for reading.

• 2 years later...

I wonder if this question has been revisited since Logos started allowing export to Kindle. I know licensing is ridiculously complicated, but apparently the publishers have opened the door for it—at least somewhat.

• Like 2

There is also an anti-glare film (or this one for the Airs)as a possible solution.    Like Rick, I just don't have a problem reading on my iPad, and I just do not want to add an extra step to the 'getting to my resources'  process.  And I never read in the sun.  Outside?  Yes.  In the sun?  No.  My eyes are very sun & glare sensitive.  The glare from the sun itself is more prohibitive than the glare on the screen.

• Like 1