European Verse Notation

autopistis

It seems that there has been a change in the format of European verse notation in version 7. What appeared as periods previously now appear as commas. Now every time I do a search I get an error message... and all of my texts display like this: Col. 1,1 instead of Col. 1.1

Has European notation changed?

Edit: Okay... I seem to have found what I was looking for in preferences as decimal verse divider. In that case, what is European notation? I was under the impression that it simply meant that a period was used in place of a colon.

• 7 months later...

Um, I'm trying to be patient...

I still wonder what European verse notation is supposed to look like.

I know that in North America the format is Mark 1:1

In my textbooks from England it is Mark 1.1

Is "European" verse notation simply Mark 1,1 ?

I've never seen this in a book - where is it used?

European notation is set in Accordance in Preferences/Appearance. The help page for that window states that:

Use European notation for verse entry and display uses a comma (,) in place of a colon (: ) to divide chapter and verse, and a period (.) in place of a comma to separate a list of references.

If you use this global setting, it will not be affected by choosing a decimal verse divider in Set Text Display.

Helen, thanks for your reply. While my original question was about what I perceived as a bug, I guess my question now isn't about the Accordance functionality - it's about European verse notation itself. I've never seen notation used anywhere like you've described. I've read many British books (some French); most of them use the decimal divider, and some use the colon as a divider.

Is the comma used in continental Europe?

Forgive my ignorance.

Maybe someone out there can point me to a website or book that uses this...

I've never seen notation used anywhere like you've described. I've read many British books (some French); most of them use the decimal divider, and some use the colon as a divider.

Is the comma used in continental Europe?

Verse notations don't always follow a single standard form, even in a given country or region. A comma (rather than a colon) is generally used to separate chapters from verses (John 1, 1) in a number of European countries (e.g., Spain, Italy, France...) but I can't tell you just how many for sure...

In Spain, for instance, many Protestant authors would write John 1:1, while most scholars (Protestant and Catholic alike) would use John 1, 1 instead. Go figure!

In short, the use of the comma is definitely European, but the term "European verse notation" is probably more a convention than a scientific label.

Best,

Ah... well understood.

Thank you, Ruben.

Archived