Instant Detail Gloss Missing

Charles Stock

Since installing 7.0.1 I have lost the glosses that appeared in the Instant Detail Box. I've looked for the files trying to locate them and open them, but have had no success. I'm using

BHS W4 Version 4.4.1 and

GNT-T Version 3.0

How can I get this highly useful feature to work?

I suspect that you had moved the Greek words and Hebrew words files to another location such as Modules. If you place them in the Accordance folder, Accordance will load them and move them to Gloss files when you open a tagged text.

First check your Instant Details preferences. Then see if you have old copies of these files somewhere, and delete them, leaving the newest ones in the Accordance folder.

These files are OK, though you can delete the ones in the Accordance folder. You must also look for older versions elsewhere in other folders inside the Accordance folder, such as in Modules, and delete them. Then open the GNT-T and BHS-W4 in Accordance, and check if the glosses now appear.

If you don't find old files, try using Add Modules (in Arrange Modules) to open the words files (you may get an error message).

If that does not work, you might try removing the Gloss folder from the Accordance folder, running Accordance and quitting, then putting back the words and roots files into the Accordance folder and running Accordance again.

Sorry for the hassles; Accordance changed the way it added these files, and I am not sure how to force the update when it does not work automatically.

Well I tried that and it didn't work. I did a spotlight search and manually searched through various folders. My guess is that the current Hebrew Words file is missing. Can you email that to me or somehow make it available? Could I re-download 7.0.1? I really love the glosses for assisted original language reading

I am sorry that the posts above seem to have been scrambled. We have lost your list of the gloss files you did find, and my subsequent post is attributed to you! No doubt this is the result of careless editing on my part, but I do apologise. The latest files, that you found in the Gloss folder, were:

Greek roots May 24, 2006

Greek words May 24, 2006

Hebrew roots May 24, 2006

Hebrew words Nov 8 2005 (but yours were from 2004, Scholar's 6.4)

Those Hebrew words should work just fine.

The roots files are new and installed with 7.0.1. The words files are on each Scholar's Collection, so you can add them to the Accordance folder yourself, or run a Standard install. However, Greek words was updated recently so it also gets installed with 7.0.1.

You say you tried "that." But did you try all the steps I suggested? And which glosses don't work, only Hebrew or Greek as well?

Thanks again for working with me on this. I have

Greek words 5/24/06

Greek roots 5/24/06

Hebrew roots 5/24/06

and

Hebrew words 11/11/02

Before we started the Hebrew Words were missing in the Accordance Folder, but there in the Gloss Folder. I copied the Hebrew Words from the Gloss Folder and pasted them into the Accordance Folder. The Gloss Folder was also in the Accordance Folder. I moved the Gloss Folder to my desk top and restarted Accordance.

In Preferences, Instant Detail Box, the English gloss definition selection is still grayed out indicating it is not available. So, at this point neither Greek nor Hebrew glosses are functioning in Instant Details, Parsing, or Syntax.

I have the Scholar's Collection 6.9.1 disk. Can I install the missing file from that disk? Should I leave the Gloss Folder on the desktop, put it back, or throw it away?

Thanks for helping me.

OK. I installed the Scholar's 6.9 words and now the Hebrew gloss works, but not the Greek. I will throw out the existing Greek Words and replace with the Scholar's 6.9 file. Maye it's corrupt or something.

Thanks for helping me.

Help! Still not getting any Greek Gloss function. Can someone help me? Should I call Tech Support?

It is very hard to follow what you are doing, as you do not answer my questions. I understand that you now have Hebrew glosses but not Greek.

Try removing all Greek words files from anywhere in the Accordance folder and Gloss folder (you never told me whether you found old ones hidden in other folders). Then run Accordance and open the GNT-T. Then quit Accordance, put a copy of Greek words back into Accordance folder, rerun Accordance and open the GNT-T again.

You can delete the Gloss folder from the desktop, by now you have another one in the Accordance folder, and eventually it should have all 4 files in it.

Dear Helen,

Thank you for your assistance. I thought I had adquately answered your questions. I will attempt to unscramble the puzzle a bit.

1. I searched all my files and couldn't find copies of the Greek and Hebrew words anywhere except in the gloss folder and under the Accordance folder.

2. The put the Gloss Folder on my desktop.

3. I dragged the older Hebrew Words into the Accordance Folder. That didn't work. Under Instant Details Preferences, the English Gloss Definition option remained grayed out.

4. I dragged the newer Hebrew Words from the Scholar's 6.9 into the Accordance Folder. I restarted Accordance and, voil

Charles:

I am really stumped, and this may need to wait until we return to the US. However, surely Accordance has recreated the Gloss folder. It occurs to me that you may be changing the files around in one Accordance folder and actually running Accordance from another location (another Accordance folder). Other than that idea, I have none, sorry.

Charles:

I am really stumped, and this may need to wait until we return to the US. However, surely Accordance has recreated the Gloss folder. It occurs to me that you may be changing the files around in one Accordance folder and actually running Accordance from another location (another Accordance folder). Other than that idea, I have none, sorry.

OK. I will look forward to working on this. Your comment on running Accordance from another location intrigued me. I found a Gloss Folder created June 26, 2006 NOT under the Accordance, but standing alone under Applications. It contains only one file, Hebrew Words 11/11/02. That's interesting, since my Hebrew English Gloss function is working. I haven't found any other Accordance folder

Have a great time in the UK!

Charles:

Good Morning Helen,

I am glad to report that my Glosses are working very well. Here is what I did:

1. Removed all my word and root files from Accordance. Removed the Gloss folder.

2. Downloaded and reinstalled 7.0.1

3. Noted that the Hebrew Words file was still missing.

4. Returned the most recent Hebrew words file to the newly installed Accordance folder.

5. Opened, closed and re-opened Accordance.

6. Noted that the glosses in both Greek and Hebrew are working.

7. Interestingly, Accordance created a new Gloss folder under Applications, not under Accordance. I don't know if I should move it.

I thought that this all was sort of strange, but has a happy ending.

Thanks for the pointing me in the right direction.

Archived