Upgrade the Search Capabilities for Reference Tools

Enoch

I was looking for textual commentary on John 1:18 in Metzger. I read Metzger's rationale and then came to a square-bracket addition:

"[it is doubtful that the author would have written μονογενὴς θεός, which may be a . . . ]" This comment was signed A.W. So I was curious as to who is this A.W., presumably not Tozer. Thus I checked the Accordance description of the module and also the top of the reference work, but found nothing about any A.W. (not even with "Shock and" in front of it). I then went to the search window and tried finding it, to no avail. The search engine denied that A.W. occured in the module text, though it surely does!

So I was unable to discover who added his (useless, non-evidenced, non-reasoned) opinion to Metzger's.

Thus I request a search function that will locate the references to A.W. (& the like) in a module.

Edited by Enoch

A.W. is likely Professor Allen Wikgren. See p vii (Preface to the First Edition). Try searching on Wikgren (English content).

Perhaps it's because those are Manuscripts. Disregard. Looked at them too quickly. I mistakingly recalled that o μ. υιος is supported by A W, not ο μ. θεος. Thus, it's best to take A. W. as the editor.

Nevertheless, I am not sure if I see Accordance justified in taking up the authors oversight in sighting a full bibliography or author. That's what research is all about.

Edited by James Tucker

It is quite easy to find A.W. by using A .. W as the search string (exact search not Flex). The first period indicates that the character following it should be searched, so .. searches for a period, ., searches for a comma. There are 39 hits, so obviously someone thought his edits had some value.

My request is for a new feature (don't understand why it already does not exist) whereby one may simply type or paste whatever string of letters/symbols one wants to find in a module (book), activate search or click enter, and then get those occurrences.

In this case, I should like to be able to put "A.W." in the search window, then all the occurrences of "A.W." would come up.

After searching on the internet (not my Accordance program), I discovered who A.W. was, one on the editorial committee. He may well have made valuable comments in the work; but in this case, he just said, "It is doubtful that . . . ." I should be delighted to read what leads him to have doubt, and then his comment might become cogent.

Edited by Enoch

My request is for a new feature (don't understand why it already does not exist) whereby one may simply type or paste whatever string of letters/symbols one wants to find in a module (book), activate search or click enter, and then get those occurrences.

In this case, I should like to be able to put "A.W." in the search window, then all the occurrences of "A.W." would come up.

After searching on the internet (not my Accordance program), I discovered who A.W. was, one on the editorial committee. He may well have made valuable comments in the work; but in this case, he just said, "It is doubtful that . . . ." I should be delighted to read what leads him to have doubt, and then his comment might become cogent.

Accordance does not index punctuation with words so you have to either search for it literally (see Helen's example) or use a wildcard, as in A * W

The fact that Accordance balks at the period when you paste "A.W" into the search entry box is admittedly a little counter-intuitive, but you'll find that you'll get a lot further if you let Accordance input all the correct search syntax for you. You do that by selecting what you want to find and then amplifying.

If you select A.W in Metzger and then go to the Amplify button of the toolbar and choose "Search Current Resource," Accordance will open a new Metzger tab and search for A * W. Learn to use the amplify features of Accordance, and you don't need to learn the little idiosyncrasies of the search syntax.

If you select A.W in Metzger and then go to the Amplify button of the toolbar and choose "Search Current Resource," Accordance will open a new Metzger tab and search for A * W. Learn to use the amplify features of Accordance, and you don't need to learn the little idiosyncrasies of the search syntax.

Excellent tip David! Thanks.