How do I see which Tools have a Reference to the Current Verse?

OSchrock

Hello,

I am considering switching to Accordance and am using the Accordance 10 Demo.

How do I quickly see which commentaries and english tools have something to say about the current verse I am in, without having to go through and click on each individual module? (So I can avoid checking 20 commentaries when only 5 of them treat my passage)

Note: In the software I am accustomed to, I can see at a glance exactly which commentaries comment on the current verse, and I can see which English Tools reference a the current verse. (i.e. With John 1:5 selected, I can tell at a glance that 22 of my 35 commentaries comment on this verse, and that 10 of my 36 English tools reference this verse. Furthermore, I can see that "Nave's" references this verse under the headings, "Blindness," "Darkness," "Jesus, The Christ," "Light," and "Wisdom.")

This seems like such a basic, time-saving feature, but I have not been able to find it in Accordance.

Any Advice?

See screenshot for example.

post-31975-0-91101700-1353164460_thumb.png

Something you can do is use the "Search All" field to look up a verse in any of your modules. There are different options, including finding the reference in your tools.

You can do a search all by right clicking on the reference that you are interested in in your Bible then selecting search all and then selecting what you want to search. You are able to set up your own groups of tools that you want to search (e.g. all NT commentaries) as well as search everything.

In this case I selected to search my whole library

post-30494-0-85931600-1353199325_thumb.png

After it was run I get something like

post-30494-0-49569400-1353199277_thumb.png

This just gives an overview of each tool that matches I can then select a specific tool by double clicking on it. I can then go to each matching item.

There are other ways to get to search all you just need to make sure you are searching for scripture reference in this case.

I know where you're coming from. The ability to do that kind of automatic lookup is found in a number of Bible software programs, and it comes in very handy --particularly in the case of Bible commentaries. Accordance does not include this feature as such. As others have said, Search All can achieve something similar, but not quite. Besides, it requires many more steps.

If you have any number of commentaries open and tied to a Search window set to Verses, they will scroll along and display the relevant section as you navigate the Bible text, but don't expect to find any visual cue (e.g., Commentary title highlighted or underlined) in the tabs of those tools that happen to refer to the current verse. Admittedly, this is an area where things could be improved. Notice also that the Search All window cannot used in the way I've just described.

In the software I am accustomed to, I can see at a glance exactly which commentaries comment on the current verse, and I can see which English Tools reference a the current verse. (i.e. With John 1:5 selected, I can tell at a glance that 22 of my 35 commentaries comment on this verse, and that 10 of my 36 English tools reference this verse. Furthermore, I can see that "Nave's" references this verse under the headings, "Blindness," "Darkness," "Jesus, The Christ," "Light," and "Wisdom.")

This seems like such a basic, time-saving feature, but I have not been able to find it in Accordance.

Sounds like a great feature to have in Accordance, can we put this (or something like this) on the wish list?

Thanks!

• 2 years later...

With the new "Info Pane" of Accordance 11 this is solved perfectly! Thank You so much!