input menu options

Well, I don't know how this is really related to Accordance, but I've searched Apple Support and can't find good answers...maybe someone on this forum can shed some light.

In System Preferences -> International -> Input Menu tab we're given various keyboard layout options.

Greek has 2 options, "Greek" and "Greek Polytonic." I think "Greek" is for modern Greek whereas "Greek Polytonic" is for NT/Koine Greek.

Hebrew has 2 options as well. "Hebrew" and "Hebrew-QWERTY." When/why would one use one over the other? Same question for English between "U.S." and "U.S. Extended."

My 2 main apps are Accordance and Mellel. I'm trying to get a better handle on using these 2 apps with frequent copy-paste between them. And it occurred to me it wouldn't hurt to better understand the Input Menu options. Thanks.

"Hebrew" and "Hebrew-Qwerty" are mapped differently. My guess is that Hebrew-Qwerty was designed for folks who were used to the Qwerty keyboard, and the mapping matches a Hebrew character to is Latin "equvialent". In OS 9, the choices were "Hebrew-Qwerty" and "Hebrew-Israeli". I'm guessing the latter is the same as plain "Hebrew" in Tiger. It is my guess that it is mapped to place the more frequently used letters in more logical plasses. If you select both Hebrew and Hebrew-Qwerty in the International Pane of System preferences and then choose "show Keyboard Viewer," from the international menulet you can shift back and forth between the two Hebrew inputs and see the difference in the mapping.

The one thing to remember is that the OS X Input Method "flag" menu is not used in Accordance (in fact, having it on a non-Roman script will usually result in garbled text), but is useful in Mellel and other Unicode-input compatible apps.

I have never gotten used to the OS X Hebrew (=Israeli) layout, so I always use the Hebrew-QWERTY layout in Mellel (and Mail). I don't type that much Greek, but there are other options for entering classical Greek on the Mac. You can use SophoKeys, for example, which is based on the TLG Beta Code standard.

Note that Accordance has an option to use the Israeli Hebrew layout in the Greek & Hebrew Preferences.

Archived