How do I see all Hebrew words translated with some form of 'hope' in the NIV

Bret Hicks

I am sure Accordance is able to do this, but I can not figure it out. I want to be able to run a search (or use the analysis window?) to see all of the Hebrew words that are translated with some form of 'hope' in a particular translation (such as the NIV G/K). How would I do this?

In Christ,

Bret

Hi Bret,

search for "hope" (flex search - should be default) with RANGE set to Old Testament

like this

hope <AND> <Range Gen-Mal>

perform the search and go to the analysis drop down, and select "Word Count Totals => Analysis"

post-29509-0-20600100-1353540929_thumb.jpg

Then you should get a list of all the English forms of hope listed, with the keyed Hebrew word as a subset

Like this

post-29509-0-44323300-1353540944_thumb.jpg

My example uses the ESVS, but it will work in the NIV-G/K (or any other keyed text)

As a bonus, you can then select a key number and use the contextual menu to "Search in => <name of keyed text>" and you will find all the occurrences where that particular Hebrew word is translated by the English word: ie Accordance will do an inflected English search constrained to a particular key.

It will look something like this.

"=hoped"@[KEY H3176]

Edited by Ken Simpson

Thanks, Ken. Turns out my problem was that even though the text that was open was the NIV G/K the search version was set to NIV with no tagging. So the analysis window was not showing key numbers. A good reminder to check the search version I guess :). Thanks for the help.

In Christ,

Bret