Footnotes & Bibliography Turabian citation...

Vandymarc

Has there been any updates from the Turabian world that have included online software such as Accordance as of yet? It would be really nice in the seminary world I live in to have this ability. I know we discussed at length ways to do this earlier through scripts and only certain texts. However, if there is a general ability to cite books in Turabian from libraries like our own I would love to know. Or, if anyone has compiled a list of Turabian format from Accordance's materials it would be greatly appreciated if we all could contribute to it. Please let me know...Thanks

Hi Vandymarc,

have you tried the turabian formats built into Accordance?

In Preferences/Bibliography in v10.1 you will find a drop down menu and 2 Turabian options selectable (see my screencap)

post-29509-0-65895500-1354743009_thumb.png

If you are aware of it, is there an issue with the format that we use or is there some other problem?

I hope this helps

(Looking at Rick's post below, I think I may have misunderstood the level of your question. If so, I apologise, I didn't mean to patronise you at all)

Edited by Ken Simpson

Has there been any updates from the Turabian world that have included online software such as Accordance as of yet? It would be really nice in the seminary world I live in to have this ability. I know we discussed at length ways to do this earlier through scripts and only certain texts. However, if there is a general ability to cite books in Turabian from libraries like our own I would love to know. Or, if anyone has compiled a list of Turabian format from Accordance's materials it would be greatly appreciated if we all could contribute to it. Please let me know...Thanks

As of now the latest edition of Turabian is 7th (2007). This is the same version we used when writing our bibliography citation feature. After extensive research I concluded that the best route was to cite Accordance resources as you would the print, but note in place of the 'edition' the following: Accordance electronic ed. This should encompass most of the resources we have. In resources that do not have page numbers the usual method is to enter n.p. (no pages). However, that does not really help in cases where the professor wants a specific location they can verify. You can also include the paragraph number in Accordance, but that means the prof. will need Accordance to check it.

What our system does not account for are citations of the application itself (as in when citing a search), nor texts. For the application itself the guides typically have a suggested form for citing computer programs or CD-ROMs; I would adapt one of these.

Ancient texts in general are not cited like books; you typically only need to include the standard text abbreviation, and if important the version (e.g. 1 Cor. 5:17 ESV; Antiquities 1.1.1 LCL). For Bible texts we support several styles of citations that should work here. If you want to report statistical info according to a tagged text I would use something similar to the tool citation, with the version number of the module and Accordance.

I hope this helps somewhat. Unfortunately there is still not any one citation format that adequately handles electronic resources like those in bible software. As such, you should be able to approximate it and have it be acceptable to your professor (since there isn't a standard in the first place). When in doubt, show them an example and ask if they approve.