Trouble importing an HTML doc

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

Versions : Mac OSX 10.8.2 on a 2009 27" iMAC, Accordance 10.1.1 downloaded a week ago perhaps slightly less.

I've been trying to do something mildly insane. I'm trying to move an old Windows softcopy file to Mac and make it into a User Tool. Yes I own it. But I can't really use it as I work pretty much on the Mac at home. So I wanted to get it into Accordance. So I exported to HTML on the PC. Then moved it over to the Mac. I tried a text import and found that it really didn't cope well with guessing at headings and such. I don't know the algorithm but it seems to focus on capitals among other things. In any case not a great success. Then I thought well I speak HTML I can do it that way. Not so apparently. It has a bunch of style and markup in it but I can pull that out with a Python script. So I tried importing simple <h1> and <h2> tags leaving the rest of the file pretty much as it came. Well that was not a success. The data is coming in but I'm seeing one line then a lot of blank lines and then the next line and then a bunch of blank lines and so it goes on. I've tried cutting a small testcase with a really simple file. Still does this on import. In the process I got rid of the '\r' DOS line terminators. No help. I've tried with and without the suggested meta tag though this is all ASCII. So at this point what it looks like to me is that every closing HTML tag, of whatever kind is adding a bunch of blank lines.

BTW, it looks fine in the editor.

But I just noticed something. Attempting to highlight things in the User Tool display (not the editor) I'm seeing really big blocks of some kind. I can't tell what they are - large divs, spans or some such thing if they were HTML, but they are Accordance and I don't know what that really is.

So I've attached my demo file. Its really small. Displays perfectly in Firefox.

My screen shot would be just the first line as the next line is way off the bottom.

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong or if you have a bug in import. If there is a more detailed spec. I should be following to get this right please let me know.

Thx

D

test.zip

I've tried importing it. Doesn't seem to be a problem. There are some spaces missing between words but that is not too difficult to sort out. Attached a screen shot - does that match what you are getting?

post-30494-0-24507600-1355564367_thumb.png

Is it the blank lines that are causing you a problem? The import always puts a blank line after the end of a paragraph (carriage return in word). In Word you need to put a manual line break in if you do not want the space to appear between lines. This results in <br> in html rather than <p>

Edited by Steve King

Hi Steve,

Thanx for trying. There must be something in my setup somewhere that's messed up. What you got is what I was expecting and I still can't get it. More testing today I guess. I tried restarting Accordance but still no good.

Thx

D

OK I think I've found it. It looks like somehow the import is setting the Tool Display to use 200% line spacing. Its really odd because the prefs show zero. I have no idea how that happened. So back to more testing.

It apparently set the tool up with a custom Theme. I don't know why though. Any thoughts ?

Thx

D

I've never noticed an import use a different theme to the default one I have set up for tools.

Ah, ok. Anyhow many thanx for testing my sample, it got me onto the right track. I can fix the tool after import but have yet to identify the source of theme problem.

tx

D