Night mode user highlights

Guntis

There are problems with night mode when user has applied highlighters. Take a look at some portion of text in Normal mode, Night mode and what I propose.

This is how it looks now in Normal mode:

post-634-0-51595400-1356731347_thumb.png

This is how Night Mode looks now:

post-634-0-14237500-1356731381_thumb.png

As you can see, highlights makes impossible to read this text. Colors need to be adjusted for night mode.

My proposed look:

post-634-0-22529500-1356731447_thumb.png

Highlighter color should be superimposed on the black background. Actually background could be a notch darker than it is now.

• Like 1

I agree; this is why I switched to using underline styles only. I'm pretty sure we're just utilizing the Mac's implementation of this, so ideally it would need to be tweaked there first. But, maybe an iOS-only solution is possible; I can't comment on that.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree; this is why I switched to using underline styles only. I'm pretty sure we're just utilizing the Mac's implementation of this, so ideally it would need to be tweaked there first. But, maybe an iOS-only solution is possible; I can't comment on that.

Actually you could do some tricks with colors for the night mode, or let users define day and night highlighter sets. It would be like a second highlighter set, only it would switch automatically as I turn on night mode. What's your opinion about this idea?

Actually you could do some tricks with colors for the night mode, or let users define day and night highlighter sets. It would be like a second highlighter set, only it would switch automatically as I turn on night mode. What's your opinion about this idea?

Personally, I think the whole highlight system could be revamped, and then considerations made for this scenario. However, as alluded to, that would need to start on the Mac app and then make its way to iOS. As such, I have no idea when it could be done, nor what priority it is.

Personally, I think the whole highlight system could be revamped, and then considerations made for this scenario.

I fully agree with you. Highlight system should be revamped. It has many problems (empty spaces between two highlighted verses, highlighting one word in the verse which already has whole verse highlight disables global highlight for all the other words in that verse, etc.) and spoils aesthetics too. Long in the tooth... actually one of the two biggest problems for me in Accordance apps. (Second is user notes: no Unicode support and can't really edit user notes on iPhone or iPad without distroying links and formatting.) But I'm hopeful that after a year or two it will come... We all have to exercise patience of the saints, haven't we? :-)

• 7 months later...

I came across this highlighting problem as well in night mode. It is a severe limitation. It would also be nice to be able to rename the highlighting styles in the iOS version -- I can never remember what style I have chosen for what purpose. I found I can rename My Mobile Highlights in the desktop app, but sync did not change anything on the iPod version.

Carol are you saying that after renaming the individual styles in the My Mobile Highlights file on the desktop app and then syncing the updated file to your iOS device, the new style names did not show up in the iOS app? If so, then that is definitely a bug.

• 4 months later...

I had the same problem long time ago. What I did (if my memory doesn't fail me) was I deleted whole iOS app, reinstalled, then synced with my Mac, thus I got highlighter set names updated.

• 9 months later...

Going back to the original post, I agree something ought to be done about highlights especially in night mode. It makes night mode almost unusable where I have highlighted text. While I realize underline text is a good workaround, the average user won't see that and believe this to be a bug or an oversight. Anyway, this is my vote and request for a fix.

• 2 weeks later...

Three features are still badly missed:

1) Highlighters in the night mode.

2) Possibility to highlight any range of words.

3) Gestures to turn highlights on/off and to brig up Go To menu or library menu. (user-defined gesture commands for one finger double-tap, two finger tap and double-tap, three finger tap and double-tap, two finger swipe) This one feature alone would improve app tremendously.

• Like 1