Opening a Resource from the Toolbar

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

I only recently upgraded to Accordance 10. In previous versions, I was able to open a new pane/zone with a specific resource (not amplifying) by holding down the control key while choose the resource from the Resources palette.

This does not work on the toolbar, as control-clicking pulls up a contextual menu, as it should. I've tried several other modifiers, but so far I've not found any way to open a resource from the toolbar unless I'm amplifying.

For example, today I wanted to open the Cross-References tool to do a search. Every time I tried to do so from the toolbar, I got an error stating "A verse reference selection cannot be used from any tool."

I know I can open the resource from the library pane/popup, but I keep my library hidden, whereas I have icons for all the major tool groups on my toolbar.

Lorinda

I've found that having the cursor in the search area seems to allow me to open a workspace otherwise I get the same issue you are having. Perhaps the same thing is required in this case (can't try it at the moment because I am away from home). Not ideal but may resolve your issue for the time being.

Thanks, Steve. That does seem to solve the problem, at least at the moment.

Basically, the toolbar icons function similarly to the Resource Palette icons - if you have a selection somewhere, it will try to amplify, otherwise it will try and open new. What trips people up is the user preference to allow amplifying via just a single blink point, rather than requiring an actual selection. This is set in Preferences -> General -> Require Selection for Amplifying.

So, if that preference is checked, then as long as you don't have any active selected text, it will open new. If it is unchecked, you must make sure your blink point isn't in anywhere that supports amplifying (like the entry box).

You are right, though, what is missing is the control key override for opening New. We'll look into re-adding that, but hopefully this explanation helps.