Very Specific Search

jmarkt

I'm a newbie with Accordance, and would like to know if there is a way to do a specific search..."How many times did God instruct the Israelites to "remember" the things He had done for them? Also, how to restrict the search to Old Testament only.

Thanks for any assistance, and please be specific with any steps. It's such a great program with SO MANY options!!! :o

Edited by jmarkt

Hi jmarkt,

The easy bit is the second bit. You can define a range for the OT books and use that range to restrict your search. In the image below you will see just below the KJVS a pulldown showing Range is OT. The range will restrict the search. OT is my defined range defined as Gen-Zech. Normally it does not exist though there is a built range for New Testament. Anyhow if you just click on the pull down where OT is you will see at the bottom Define range ..... Click that and you should be able to see how a range is defined and how to define your own. To get the Range thingo to appear you'll notice on the far right at the same a - and + in circle. Click plus and the you be able to add one of three qualifiers to the search - one of which is range.

And as a newbie myself I have to say this : the doc is very good, the podcasts on searching are excellent. It is more than worth the time to watch the podcasts and play along with them. There are a whole bunch on searching at http://www.accordancebible.com/Podcasts-Index/. Look for the ones under How to Search but also look at the Recommended podcasts too : http://www.accordancebible.com/Podcasts-Recommended. There are search ones under there.

So to the search you want itself. With a range defined you can try various things. I did and I must say I wasn't happy with what I came back with. remember god and israel in various combinations did not yield massively convincing results, though it did prove the range was ok. But the search in the image attached was not utterly without success yielding such things as :

Deut. 24:9 Remember what the LORD thy God did unto Miriam by the way, after that ye were come forth out of Egypt.

Deut. 24:18 But thou shalt remember that thou wast a bondman in Egypt, and the LORD thy God redeemed thee thence: therefore I command thee to do this thing.

Josh. 1:13 Remember the word which Moses the servant of the LORD commanded you, saying, The LORD your God hath given you rest, and hath given you this land.

And with only 47 hits to survey its a start. Others more skilled and better versed will no doubt offer help of greater worth.

But enjoy. I am exceedingly impressed with the search capabilities of Acc and I know I don't use it beyond mere basics yet.

Thx

D

OT range.tiff

Edited by Daniel Semler

Thanks a bunch, Daniel. Your instructions were spot on and helped me greatly! Thus far, it accomplished exactly what I was needing. With assistance like yours, I'll be able to go to the "next level" in no time!!!

Thanks again.

Hi Daniel,

just as a little suggestion, if you save your screenshots as png's or jpg's they will display as thumbnails rather than just links to a downloadable image. The added advantage of this is that in general tiff is a much larger file format than the other 2, so you will use up your storage allowance more slowly. If you use CMD-SHFT-4 you should be able to define your capture area using some crosshairs and the (default png) will be saved on your desktop with a name like
"Screen Capture 2-9-2013 15:23:00" or similar.

Use the grab utility if you need to get a menu when it is pulled down or similar.

As to the search, that's a good start. It can be done more accurately with Hebrew and syntax options, but you should also search for "Lord" and other forms of the divine name e.g. "the most High".

Edited by Ken Simpson

Thx Ken. That's useful. I've noticed this and only with post-cpature manipulation have I been able to do this. So thanx for this.

D

Hi,

This might not be exactly what you are looking for but I would suggest that the Dictionary of Classical Hebrew provides a lot of helpful information showing how the word remember is used in relation to God and His people, I have only recently purchased this full volume set and am constantly amazed at how a word or concept I am interested in is used in the Hebrew Bible, Ben Sira, Dead Sea Scolls and the Hebrew Inscriptions! for me this is what a Dictionary ought to be and do.

Hope this helps.

Robert.

Thanx Julie (and David for creating it). I just installed this and now I have a ton of different ranges. It would seem sensible for Acc to productize this and ship it with the tool. In any case, it also revealed I missed Malachi in my OT - ooops.

thx

D

Do you actually mean highlight files or the Search Ranges file ? I don't know anything about highlight files as I've so far not used highlighting.

If you mean the Search Ranges file I know how to install that. Or at least I know what I did worked :) But I was really just following the instructions on the exchange web page. I just replaced the Search Ranges in ~/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences with the unarchived Search Ranges file from the exchange. I did make a copy elsewhere of the original file out of paranoia. I did this with Accordance shutdown and then restarted it. Then I could see all the ranges.

Thx

D

Thanks again, Daniel...you're becoming my Accordance guru! The part I didn't get was "replace" - duh! Like you, I've saved my "paranoia copy" just in case, but all seems to be working well. Many thanks!

Hey, guys - That's not paranoia, It's just being cautious, and wise.