Searching the Results of a Gk word search in an English text

Julia Falling

Hey - I did a search in the GNT-T for εθνος, singular uses only, and got 32 hits. What I would now like to do is determine how a specific tagged English version translates εθνος in the singular = searching the hits list of the Gk search for a Key Number in an English text.

I know there has got to be a way to do this without defining a search range that includes just these verses, right? I did that, and it does work (gave me Nation 1X; nation 29X; people 2X for the NAS95). What is the best & fastest way to get this same result?

Thanks!

I would think the fastest way would be to use the [Contents ?] command. Remember the [HITS ?] command uses the words, but the [Contents ?] command uses the verses. Or you could build a reference list from your results, but this would be more helpful if you planned to run several searches against this data.

EDIT: the search syntax you would use then would be to populate another tab with an tagged English version, enter [CONTENTS <tab name>] <AND> [KEY G1484].

Then, you can even manipulate this data even further, by adding "@" criterion(a) to the Key. Since our set is rather small (32 hits) we probably don't need to do much more to it. But for example if you wanted to null an English word, you could search [CONTENTS <tab name>] <AND> [KEY G1484]@-people

Edited by James Tucker

THANK YOU, James. I did not know how to construct the search, and had tried CONTENTS, but without the AND. That certainly does the trick, and in a much less clumsy way. Additionally, it would work when the Gk search had produced a much larger number of hits. My clunky way would not have worked then.

Edited by Julie Falling

You're welcome, Julie. At first, I didn't include the search syntax, presuming you're Accordance competence would fill in the gaps. Then I realized that others (whether today or next year) might have the same question so I filled it out a bit.

In Perl programming the phrase TIMTOWDI is used to say, "There is more than one way to do it." The same acronym can be used for Accordance.

There certainly is more than one way, but one is elegant (the one you described) and the other, well, not so much.

Hi James,

A void from the void - I watch these posts and use information such as you've provided here to then learn about the capabilities of Acc. So the details are very much appreciated.

As to Perl, I've put my soap box away, for now but let's just say it might be handy but its like a multi-bladed pocket knife with no safety features :)

Thx

D

Hi James,

A void from the void - I watch these posts and use information such as you've provided here to then learn about the capabilities of Acc. So the details are very much appreciated.

As to Perl, I've put my soap box away, for now but let's just say it might be handy but its like a multi-bladed pocket knife with no safety features :)

Thx

D

Ha! I have a friend in a PhD Program at University of Austin Texas, studying molecular biology. He's worked as programmer for Microsoft, Boeing, Amtrak, and NASA. He frequently (i.e., every time we talk) tells me that I should ditch PERL and learn to write in Python or such. I still remain unconvinced, especially as I have just completed the first leg of writing a Hebrew and Greek morphological parsing Script/App in PERL.

Edited by James Tucker

The only remaining link now to Acc is that we are still discussing languages. Though alas not dead ones :)

Nonetheless heading well OT, Python's nice but if you've learned one tool, its hard to see the point in learning another unless there are other drivers.

As to your project, that sounds interesting. I've been wondering about the possibility of writing code that essentially embodies the morphological rules of a language (eg. MBG) and having that generate flashcards of inflected words. Of course I stopped at the point of wondering about it and went on to Wallace. It sounds like your tool is aimed at helping tag etexts though, or at least that sounds like a possible application.

Thx

D

The latest podcast, #87) Linking Commands, covers the use of the [CONTENTS] command:

I guess I should have waited a day before I tried that search. Thanks for the podcasts. I'll watch that one in the morning when I have a rested brain. At least I hope it will be rested.

Great podcast, Dr J. Please keep them coming. I often rewatch them when attempting to do something I don't do on a regular basis - really useful learning tools.