Is there such a thing as software loyalty?

tebel

I have Accordance and the L-company software. I use both, mainly for studying the original languages. I just read books. Normally they are things that help my studying such as, bibles, translations, lexicons, grammars.

My original language study consists mainly of reading, I rarely search anything. I have found Accordance to be faster. Also some things in Accordance are designed in my opinion better, like when I use a hebrew dictionary I can specify whether I want to search a hebrew or aramaic or english word. In order to search I do not have to change my keyboard or type some sort of "h" in the beginning for Accordance to turn the radicals in to hebrew characters. I have not found L to be so simple for example in this case, but I am not a long time user of these programs, so maybe I have not found the right way to do it.

Some things like reading Peshitta I would like to do in Accordance but without lexicon I am forced to use L, they also provide two grammars for syriac.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I'm loyal to Accordance, for a number of reasons and the competitiveness, such as syntax, like others said quality resources offered (both the selection and the actual keying and delivery of them). (On the likeliness of getting everything Accordance sells: https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/25143-modern-lexicons/?p=123941)
My resource suggestions for Accordance, click further: https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/22854-relating-to-the-text-interdisciplinary-and-form-critical-insights-on-the-bible/?do=findComment&comment=111770
Three important resource suggestions: https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/22671-the-context-of-scripture-volume-4-supplements/?do=findComment&comment=123537 and https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/24365-the-encyclopedia-of-hebrew-language-and-linguistics-brill/ and https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/24686-scripture-link-for-webmasters/?p=123996  ... just click like on that my last comment there!
My review: https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/20932-accordance-has-risen-to-the-top/?do=findComment&comment=118400

As it does have a whole lot of relevance for all this even though perhaps a minority will wait for, request, or eventually need to use it (we'll see, it might as well start a revolution too!), I want to link to this feature suggestion I have: https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/24197-for-a-really-major-ver-release-which-i-welcome-next-year-intra-testamental-sourcing-of-the-ot-incl-deuterocanonicals-of-parallels-of-theologies/

... and if Your thoughts don't differ from mine at all it is also enough if You just like the post or like that comment there with further which has clarification in it!

It would be nice if users and those who just find this comment of mine even if not being Accordance users, would look at my thread: https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/24346-those-who-have-various-contacts-in-northern-europe-compare-libraries-purc-strategies-specific-quests-find-people-you-look-into-other-religions/
... where I express that I want to find people and be added as a friend/contacted outside of forums too even IRL.
... there is also a link there to a poll which pertains to what I say below at the end of my comment:

Niko brought up something which is so similar to my use: If I for example need an obscure Bible version, even though some "obscure" Bible versions such as Confraternity Version are my main ones I will use almost every additional Bible infrequently (and for certain types of use and when the weather is "very cold" or there's a lot of moist (there is never very much moist here)) I use paper Bibles anyway. I don't have a vast multitude of grammars. They are very very useful under Accordance and most of what I really need is offered but I haven't bought anywhere, but I think of the tremendous effort it takes to code grammars so I buy when I have clear conscience that this will not sit just as an intro or pure reference work but I will actually consult it in research and be up to that. With translations of secondary literature I actually sold off most of what I had under the "competing" (though it really only competes with the position it holds, not as a good choice though many have been fooled by it to a lot of use (get locked into!) that platform) with regards to translations Years ago and have not regretted that the slightest selling off and am using printed matter for that now - by which I'm saying I also chose to forgo Accordance's Outside the Bible that was cheap for the volume of it but I have an even more recent translation in print now. But for lexicons I'm super affirmative of the use of having those, all kinds of needed languages and also for very small user bases, to be had or offered under Accordance:

I have Accordance and the L-company software. I use both, mainly for studying the original languages. I just read books. Normally they are things that help my studying such as, bibles, translations, lexicons, grammars.

The only thing I'd like the competitor produce if there's a larger demand over there (though if Accordance would find additional persons who would like to key just that why not produce it over here), is: https://www.logos.com/product/33266/encyclopedia-britannica  ... and if You go over there, please note that only very high bids count (the higher always the better in a case such as this), and yes this is even if You are not a user and not a fan of the resource or the platform! There is no harm in or immediate shipping caused by, voting

And yes this my entire comment right here might deserve several likes

• Like 1

Some things like reading Peshitta I would like to do in Accordance but without lexicon I am forced to use L, they also provide two grammars for syriac.

Are you aware that Accordance offers morphological tagging for the Peshitta, so that you get at least a word gloss for the Aramaic?  Check out their offerings, such as this one, which make the tagged text available.

True, there is currently not yet a Syriac-focused lexicon, but you will have some hits in HALOT Aramaic and Targum Onkelos Glossary.  (I have also requested additional Aramaic / Syriac resources in another post).  There is a lot of similarity in the words in Targum Onkelos and the Peshitta "OT".

That being said, Accordance technically has something that Logos doesn't when it comes to Peshitta.  The Exchange now has some more (untagged) Peshitta resources, including actual transcribed manuscripts, which Logos won't have.  (BW has them because I had permission to upload them there as well).

But because the Peshitta has so few variants (virtually none compared to Greek versions), you can use those additional modules on the Exchange along with Accordance' tagged version, if you have it.

Peace.

P.S. On the topic here of software loyalty, I've relinquished the hope of having all resources on one platform.  I currently use multiple Bible software's, and not just that, but there are other programs that I use daily in conjunction for my study and work.  That being said, I am shifting more focus to Accordance than some other programs, but not all.  There are still other programs (mainly one) that--let's just say, for the number of unique resources I have there to ever make it here in Accordance--never gonna happen.  So I have to use multiple programs, and I'm fine with that.  I figure that is what a computer is designed to do.  Or, to put it another way, that is why they call it "Windows": because you can have more than one open at a time.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 2

On the topic; I agree with TYA. 

I think to focus on one software is certainly helpful. Everytime you change the platform, you need to relearn how the SW works instead of learning the topic. 

The other constraint is, Accordance will never have all the books you need, so you always need other resources. Or your are reducing your understanding of the bible to the resources of Accordance, that would make me feel bad.

Therefore, I decided for definite set of things I would like to have in Accordance, for other resources, I buy the books or use the cloud.

Edited by markusvonkaenel
  • Like 1

They need to make some serious improvements to User Notes and User Tools. Full integration the same as Accordance produced modules.

Absolutely agree with this. The current User-created content is really lacking. Painless creation/ import of PDF, RTF and DOC files would be a huge step forward.

Edited by Alistair

While I probably am loyal to Accordance, I'm much more so loyal to the staff at OakTree who have continually demonstrated kindness, humility, generosity, and hard work. 

• Like 8

While I probably am loyal to Accordance, I'm much more so loyal to the staff at OakTree who have continually demonstrated kindness, humility, generosity, and hard work.

Amen to that thought, brother!

Joseph

• Like 3

Thanks, jarcher! That is very appreciated! 

While I definitely don't mind discussion on this topic, I don't like us resurrecting a 5+ year old thread.  I'm going to go ahead and lock this, feel free to make a new thread discussing any of the topics here :)