Best Accordance resources for weekly preaching and teaching?

Abram K-J

Okay, "best" is going to be a relative term. But having seen the recent thread about English translations, I'm curious to hear from those of you who preach and/or teach regularly--what Accordance resources have you found most helpful?

I jumped on the Zondervan Illustrated Bible OT/NT commentary bundle a few weeks back, and anticipate using that. I also have a couple of the hymns modules that could be of use in planning worship and bringing hymns into sermons. I've got the Original Languages package, too, as well as a few other things. Working in the Greek and Hebrew is important to me (even if I don't use Greek or Hebrew words in the pulpit).

I'd also be curious to hear any things that have worked well for people in terms of how they set up workspaces for message prep.

Don't worry--this is not to become a drawn out decision-making process that I work through publicly (ahem). Just curious to hear about some well-loved resources in this regard.

(Note: I'm a theological conservative / Evangelical / Reformed / Protestant. Take what I say with a block of salt.)

I think it depends on the amount of time you have and the type of study that you are doing. It should go without saying but it's always best to make this point explicitly: your first recourse is reading the text and prayer. Those are "free" and really the best investment of your time.

With that said, though I have access to the Greek and the Hebrew when I am preparing quickly for a Bible Study I often open up my favorite study Bibles (ESV Study Bible and Reformation Study Bible) to get a brief overview after reading the text or answer any surface level questions. I feel like the Bible Speaks Today and the Tyndale series are both very good at answering the types of questions that I have or pointing out things that I've missed and the series is very even (i.e. from what I can see all of the books are of the same quality).

When preparing to preach I have much more time and can go more in-depth: for textual issues in the NT I will look at Metzger, Comfort, and the NETS notes. For other textual issues I will consult more technical commentaries (though I don't (yet) own those in Accordance). Some of the public domain or historical commentaries are useful here - like Calvin or Matthew Henry - but only if I have time to sit and digest what they say. Finally, a commentary set like Pillar or NAC tend to deal with many of the issues that I wrestle with while thinking about how to clearly preach a text.

My best advice - pray and read, pray and read. My next best advice - think about the amount of time and the depth you need to go. Though I could crack open my Hermenia commentary there may be too much information! A study Bible may quickly and concisely answer my question. My problem is most often having too much information - getting on rabbit trails or too technical - rather than not having enough.

Bob

• Like 3

(Note: I'm a theological conservative / Evangelical / Reformed / Protestant. Take what I say with a block of salt.)

for textual issues in the NT I will look at Metzger, Comfort, and the NETS notes.

Hi Bob, me too. All of the above (with a minor wrinkle here and there)

I suspect you don't mean the NETS notes, since they are on the Septuagint, but rather the NET notes - after all "the divvil is in the detail!" :)

On topic,

I use my Greek and Hebrew every time I preach. (I usually only give a maximum of 1 sermon per week). I love the AYBD and New Bible Dictionary (though in the reverse order) and use the photoguide and the maps whenever I can. I have only begun to explore the American Colony archive, and I suspect the Views that have Vanished module will be likewise helpful. HALOT and BDAG are constant companions, as is RV, ESVS, and NIV-G/K, though I am transitioning to NIV11-G/K I think. I pick and choose with my commentaries. I have tended to use Tyndale and BST, though with BECNT and NICNT and NICOT available they may become my go to's a little more.

Anyway, there's my 2¢ worth. (it's a bit of a moving target too)

• Like 2

The single most useful resource I have found in preparing sermons is Calvin's Commentaries. For years I had them in my library and ignored them, to my detriment. One must however, only turn to Calvin after one has done one's own translation and exegesis.

Hi Bob, me too. All of the above (with a minor wrinkle here and there)

I suspect you don't mean the NETS notes, since they are on the Septuagint, but rather the NET notes - after all "the divvil is in the detail!" :)

Haha, yes. I do mean the NET notes. They are quite extensive. (Standard caveat: I don't agree with everything they say)

I also will use my Greek and Hebrew (sadly no Aramaic skill (yet)) when I preach and teach though I must admit it is often not the very first place I go.

New Interpreter's Bible which is being worked on (no known release date but maybe this year) I think will be an ideal resource for you. A fairly conservative resource with lots of applications is the Holman Commentary. An incomplete set that is pretty good as well is the Word Biblical Commentary series. But if you can hold out I think you will find the most practical is the NIB.

-Dan

I read the text in multiple translations, usually including one original language resource. Then, Bible Dictionaries, especially AYBD, Eerdman's Early Judaism and the various IVP background dictionaries. I make extensive use of BDAG and DCH. After that, I may resort to commentaries.

Rich+

• Like 1

Thanks, all, for your recommendations. This is really helpful to me. Fr. Rich+, what's your experience been with the Early Judaism dictionary? The lone reviewer on the Accordance site seemed to have mixed feelings about it, though overall positive. If you were preaching through the Gospels from a lectionary over a two month period, for example, would it be worth the $80 for that resource? I would guess it covers material germane to the Gospels and can easily be searched by Scripture reference, as with other such Accordance modules?

It does contain material that is germane to the Gospels (and other NT literature) and it is searchable by Scripture reference and also by topic. In his most recent podcast, Dr. J showed a workspace that is set up to access multiple dictionaries. I use this workspace. I base my searches off the AYBD. I also amplify to the New Judaism dictionary from Scripture. To me it is well worth the $80.00 (although I bought it when it first came out for much less.).

• Like 1

Another resource that is very useful for preaching is: Dictionary of Bible Themes

Martin H. Manser, Managing Editor
Alister E. McGrath, General Editor