Accordance Fu

Joe Weaks

Paper's done for tomorrow morning's NT section of the Central States Regional SBL conference. I'm about to dazzle folks with a serious demo of Accordance.

Question: "How could a scholar ever record the results of 15,314 stylometric searches across 26 distinct corpora?!?"

Answer: "Juiced up, power using Accordance fu, Joe Weaks style."

Wish me luck.

• Like 3

Well, Joe, wish I could be there, even if some of it goes over my head. Is it being taped? I'd love to see your demo. Report back to us, to all of us who won't be there. With all your prep and experience, you'll blow them away. (I hope Accordance sales is prepared for the influx of new buyers.)

I'm with Julie here. I'd love to see what you do (or hear about it). I'm always looking for ideas for seminars that I run.

Give 'em [] Joe

Here's a screencast of one of the more impressive aspects. (Make sure your seatbelt is fastened ;) ):

Edited by Joe Weaks
  • Like 1

You really like teasing us. Don't you, Joe? :)

Joe, I can't watch it! Can you PM or email me the youtube link? Thanks

http://s.ytimg.com/yts/img/meh7-vflGevej7.png

This video has been removed by the user.
Sorry about that.

Well, were they blown away? Pretty amazing stuff.

Is that script in your script library?

Jonathan,

That script is stand-alone. If you had need of it for research you're doing, we could work something out.

I don't need it, just impressed and curious.

Jonathan, It's one thing to write a program and script that works in my little sandbox environment... it takes more time to adjust it to account for variables that will allow it to work on other machines, that's all. I'll see what I can do.

I've used Keyboard Maestro to do something somewhat related. It's not the same as writing an AppleScript, but can be useful for repetitive tasks.

Impressive video, I really liked the bit about the sandwiches.

The close proximity of the letters f and u are generally not considered very good Internet etiquette. Just messin with you, brother! I envy your Mac savvy!

• Like 1

Jonathan: Ha! I thought that, too at first, but then realized Joe Weaks would not be saying such things to Accordance. :) That is one thankful lowercase "u" in "Fu."

Joe: this is awesome. I'm really impressed with this. As I've continued to learn Accordance, my next area I want to learn is with the automation stuff, like pasting passages from Accordance directly into a Word/TextEdit document without leaving it, etc. I know you have some videos up on that, too, so I'll look forward to watching them! Thanks for all you've contributed along those lines.

How about Accordance Phu? Is that one open to misinterpretation? I'm a bit leery of some of this stuff because I'm so ignorant of the non-Christian culture. I live in what some of us in our little corner of East Tennessee call "The Shire," and really don't know what's going on in "Mordor."

• Like 1

From wikipedia:

"Kung fu… is a Chinese term referring to any study, learning, or practice that requires patience, energy, and time to complete…"

I think Joe has disqualified himself as this practice seems to me to have required little energy or time…

I'll grant some patience was most probably used along the way :)

• Like 1

This is funny. I didn't think of that potential mis-interpretation of the title, expecting it to be a hate message. This, despite the fact that I'm sure my mind is in the gutter at least as much as some of you.

The "fu" suffix here of course means "advanced skill" ( http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-fu ).

And, it did take patience, energy and time to complete the script. I think I have thought of a way to make it more vanilla to distribute. Time will tell.

• Like 1

I don't program much in Applescript or Automator so I may be wrong but I didn't see anything in either program that allowed one to control Accordance... I'd like to know more about how this was done and if Oak Tree had any plans on adding some basic Automator actions in the future.

All Mac programs have a consistent interface and generally use the same elements and AppleScript can work with them. You can have a script that says to click a button named "Update" or access the menu items. In the scripting I've done with Joe's libraries for Accordance I've used keyboard shortcuts to move around the interface.

But I agree - I'd like to see some hooks to make the interface a bit more accessible to programming.

Craig,

What Bob said.

I have published at one time or another Applescripts, some OSX Services and also an Automator Action for Accordance... controlling the user interface of Accordance is accomplished using Applescript UI scripting. You can google for more info.

I always equated Applescript to ARexx but obviously I know little regarding how Applescript works. Seems like something I'd like to look into in the future...thanks for the info.

Applescript is very similar to ARexx on the Amiga, in that it's an interpreted computer language whose strength is interacting with events between independent apps.

Ahh, love to hear the reminiscences of some Amigaphiles. I owned an A1000, and then upgraded it with a home built 678030 board.

Way OT, so apologies, But just had to do it!