Searching for a particular form of the pronominal suffix

Nathan Lovell

Hi,

I'm trying to search for a specific form of the pronominal suffix. I've noticed that sometimes the 2ms pronominal suffix takes a form that looks more feminine than masculine (eg. Deut 5:16 - לָךְ twice, Deut 6:3). Accordance still parses this as 2ms despite its form, and despite the fact that elsewhere in the book (e.g. 1:21) the suffix is parsed as 2fs even though context demands ms.

So I'd like to find out how widespread this particular form of the 2ms suffix is (or at least how widespread it is that Accordance parses it this way).

I tried searching for:

[suffix second singular]@"ךְ"

and

[suffix second singular]@"ךְ*"

but both searches return all of the 2ms suffixes regardless of pointing. Is there a way to search for the particular form of the suffix that ends with a kaph w/ shewa? I suspect they might be errors in the tagging database? Should they be tagged as feminine despite context, or masculine despite form?

Thanks.

When in pause the 2ms suffix form is usually –āḵ. This is not a feminine form though it looks identical to the feminine form. I think you are correct that לך in Deut 1:21 has been incorrectly parsed unless the antecedent is "land", that is, he spoke concerning it.

I believe that the standard is to tag for function rather than form. You can search for such cases with this string:

"=ָֽךְ"@ [sUFFIX masculine singular]

It does not come out right when copied from Accordance, but you use quotes to define the inflected form, equals to indicate exact form including vowels, and @ to connect it to the tag.

Suffix search.png

Hi Nathan,

You need an "=" sign to get Accordance to search for the pointing. So if you try something like this:

"=ָךְ"@ [sUFFIX second singular]

it should give you the results you're after, showing 288 masculine occurrences and 483 feminine.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

This search *almost* works. It actually fails to find (for example) any of the suffixes in Deut. It fails because it's not searching for the vowel on the previous consonant which is also part of the suffix when it is needed. Eg. if the suffix is ךְ ָ and not simply ךְ.

I think I actually need:

"=ָךְ"@ [sUFFIX second singular] <or> "=ָךְ?"@ [sUFFIX second singular]

I appreciate the help.

Also, Helen, if this is the case, then I think the following verses all have a 2ms pronominal suffix that is incorrectly tagged:

Deut. 1:21‏

Deut. 3:26‏

‎Deut. 15:6‏

‎Deut. 15:7‏

‎Deut. 20:11‏

‎Deut. 28:41‏

I don't want to report them all individually as errors. Can I just do it here?

OK, I can pass them on, but which text and version number of the text are you using?