NIVAC-NT Issues

ChristianB

I like the commentary but I'm quite a bit disappointed by the implementation in Accordance. The linking is pretty rough and broken at times.

Here is an example:

I'm preparing a bible study on Lk 13 right know. In e.g. NET Notes I see some notes on 13,1 right away. NIVAC starts with the NIV text (which I don't get why its in there at all) of 12:49-13:9. As soon as I start scrolling to read the actually comment on that vers all my other tools/bibles go back to chapter 12 vers 49.

In the commentary there are links to the individual verses e.g. "The first incident (vv. 1–5) examines the issue of judgment, especially as tied to tragic events…" Here, instead of linking to chapter 13,1-5 its linking to chapter 12,1-5.

That is not very helpful and not the quality I'm used to from other Accordance modules.

Hi, ChristianB!

Our agreements with publishers often restrict just how we produce a commentary. In this case, the commentary includes the NIV text, so I am guessing that it was required of us.

I can help you with your experience though. I hoping you are not still using Accordance 8, which is what your profile says. If you are, let me encourage you to upgrade to Accordance 10 ASAP. The reason is that version 10 allows multiple zones to be displayed simultaneously. That's really important in this case, because what I am going to recommend is that you open two instances of your commentary. Keep the one you have open as a parallel pane with your Bible, but open another directly from your library. This will open it in a tool pane, with all the advantages thereof.

Tool panes are independent from the text and thus scroll separately. This way, you can move around in the text without losing your place in the commentary. Tool panes also have a browser function. Users can click on the icon (upper left corner) that looks like a paragraph. The browser opens and you can easily navigate to any passage you desire. This also gives access to those parts of the commentary that are not verse-by-verse notes, which are the only things that are displayed when a commentary is opened in a parallel pane with a Bible.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Timothy Jenney
  • Like 2

Thanks Dr. J., that is exactly what I am doing to work around the issue. Too bad that you have restrictions like that especially since the tool display would allow to have a version with the text. :/

There is also another issue with the linking. In the commentary there are links to the individual verses e.g. "The first incident (vv. 1–5) examines the issue of judgment, especially as tied to tragic events…" Here, instead of linking to chapter 13,1-5 its linking to chapter 12,1-5.

Part of this is just how the commentary is written. Unlike others there are no smaller verse divisions for Accordance to sync to, so it only uses the larger divisions. We can't change that.

The NIV text was included in the resource, so why remove it? It actually makes for nice standalone reading.

The bad hyperlinks you pointed out will be corrected (they are the result of using automation to tag which was not smart enough to handle verses in a range that cover multiple chapters).

Thanks for the feedback.