Deleting a book that is referenced in preferences

adamkuert

I purchased the Accordance 10 Starter collection which came with the GNT-TD demo. GNT-TD was referenced in several places in preferences. For example, the Tool Display > Hypertext > Text was set to GNT-TD. Then I purchased GNT-T and deleted GNT-TD (not realizing it was being referenced). Now I get alerts saying that GNT-TD can not be found. I've tried to find and update all preferences that were using GNT-TD, but there still at least one I haven't found that pops up occasionally. Accordance should have walked me through updating those preferences when I attempted to delete the book.

So sorry for your hassles. You may have a workspace that includes it, or references it from one of the tools. I don't think most people get the GNT-TD as their top text, perhaps you selected it in the Setup.

I think I did select GNT-TD during setup. And I think I may have had a workspace open with it as well. So the general bug is that Accordance should warn you or prevent you from deleting a book that is in use. Better yet, Accordance should give you an option to select a replacement.

Thanks!

A careful review of your preferences may help. Command-comma will open it. Try every pane (left column) and see that none reference GNT-TD. Also check your startup (and any saved workspaces) to see you have references to that module.

You can also reinstall GNT-TD via Easy Install and in the Library Window move it to the very bottom of your text module list. It does not take up much space and it would eliminate the error messages. It is not elegant, but it would take care of the annoyance.

As for the observation about "Accordance should warn you..." this program has been around a long time and is mature (but not perfect). An earlier website description of Accordance was "Easy enough for beginners, powerful enough to be trusted by scholars" (or something to that effect). Any program this powerful is going to have controls and features that occasionally produce unexpected (and sometimes unwanted) behavior. That is part of the price one pays for this incredible tool. The Accordance folks have gone to great lengths to produce help files, create learning opportunities (seminars, blogs, podcasts, etc), and sponsor this forum (it is a great place to get problems like this addressed). Good as they are, they cannot anticipate every permutation of user (goals, skills, needs, ...).

Keep using the program. You will probably be very pleased with the investment (including the investment of time to learn how to use it).