searching for a position doesn't always seem to get it right

Ken Simpson

Hi,

I was searching for where δὲ occurs 4th word in the verse (i hadn't gotten to doing it by clause yet).

I put δὲ <WITHIN 4-4 Words> [FIELD BEGIN]

And got a few expectable answers, but also at least 2 results where it was 2nd in the verse (but in square brackets)

post-29509-0-52419200-1368166313_thumb.png

That seems wrong to me. Any thoughts?

Hi Ken,

I had a quick go and is easy to repro. certainly. I noticed that the δε that occurs at pos. two in each of your results is considered questionable in the text. If you just use <within 4 words> you get a ton more non-questionable ones at pos 2 or so. So I'm wondering if that is significant.

thx

D

Daniel, the difference between Ken's <WITHIN 4-4 Words> and your <WITHIN 4 Words> is this: <WITHIN 4-4 Words> means that δὲ must be exactly 4 words from the beginning of the verse, but <WITHIN 4 Words> means that δὲ must appear within the first four words of the verse (that is, it could be first, second, third, or fourth). That's why your search found more hits than Ken's.

While I do think it is likely a bug that bracketed occurrences of δὲ are showing up even when they are not the 4th word, you can exclude these, Ken, by clicking the plus button to the right of the search field. Then change the first pop-up that appears to Bracketed words and the second pop-up to Ignore.

Hi David,

Yep fully aware of what you say in the first para. Its actually why I did the test, to see if there was a breakage somewhere.

Your second para is the point I was trying to get at but probably worded badly in a hastily written response.

I'll check out the w/a you suggest.

thx

D