Difficulty using Search

bradk

With both the desktop and the mobile version of the software I'm having the same annoying behavior. Either with the Desktop or the Mobile version, enter a search term or phrase in the search field at the top of the window. Now I see a list of all verses with the serach term shown. But if I change the search field to (verses) and enter a reference, I know get verses either matching the verses listed or starting at the given verse and every verse thereafter which matches the search term I had just used.

As I said this also happens with the iOS version. Sometimes, I need to change the <words> search term to be a *. But even then when I change back to specify a verse, the old search term reappears from who knows where. To clean it up, I need to reset the settings options (in Systems Settings) for Accordance to removed saved sessions and sometimes to forget more.

For the desktop version, I need to force quit accordance and start it up from fresh.

The issue with doing either of these is (first) it shouldn't been needed and (second) I lose what information I have traced down.

Can someone point out to me what the correct way to first search for verses matchin a search criteria and then switch to look at all verses based on verse reference numbers?

I would really appreciate it.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

it's so hard when you can't see someone's screen, but I will have a go. You can do a screen share with tech support if we don't get anywhere, that might be the best way forward.

First of all, make sure you are using the latest version of Accordance (I will show the desktop version) current most recent is 10.1.6 (or 10.1.5 in the MacApp store version). If you don't - update it using the "check for app update" item in the Accordance menu

I will do a simple search for "rock" in the ESV (Strong's coded) by typing in "rock" without the quote marks

post-29509-0-85135200-1369220236_thumb.png

As you can see it gives me a list of all the verses in that english version with the whole verse that it occurs in, with the word (hit) in red.

to switch back just type in a reference in the search area like this

post-29509-0-48822100-1369220258_thumb.png

As you can see it is just the verse reference.

However, what you might be finding is that the context slider is set to A, so you are getting the context of verse as the entire Bible. Just slide this to the left to 0, to get the above result

post-29509-0-71804200-1369220382_thumb.png

If you would like to default the slider to 0, then in the Accordance Preferences in the Accordance menu, go to the Search Tabs section and uncheck "Add automatic context", press OK.

post-29509-0-16854800-1369220479_thumb.png

Does that help? I think that's what you seem to be describing.

Let me know if I have missed the idea...

Thanks, Ken. Things are now working. It might have to do with the context slider. However, I suspect that the way I was using it was hitting some bug that has been fixed in the last month or so. When I started up tonight, it offered an update and, as usual, I installed it. I didn't check o whether the problem was still happening before the update. But it is not now so that is good.

Context was part of it. If I used the verse entry in the entry field, I would only see the one verse. So I usually use the reference 'drop down' n the lower right border of the text window. If I hadn't cleared the search text, I would only see verses from the drop down reference tht contained the search term. The problem, which is not happening now, was to clear out the search text. If I clear it and use the reference drop down, it works just fine.

I need to try it now on the iOS version. Yesterday it was still causing trouble and I had to force terminate it to go back to the usual looke up by reference after I had done a text search. I'll try it tomorrow (wee hours of the morning over here now).

Thanks,

Bruce

OK - let us know how you go. Glad it seems to be improving.