E-Library

Many mice for PCs now include a scroll wheel and left / right scroll capability. See screenshot of my mouse. In Accordance 10 for Windows, several modules support the right / left scroll wheel function. However....

When I push the wheel to the left (for left scroll), the navigation direction is to the right. Likewise, when I push the wheel to the right (for right scroll), the navigation direction is to the left. It's not what I had expected as a user. Is the navigation behavior by design?

To compensate the current mental model of the navigation behavior, think of the basic vector of force, F, as in F = ma. F provides the direction of thrust (as from a thruster engine). So when I want to left / right scroll in Accordance, I think of the direction of thrust and its opposite and equal reaction of force, the navigation direction.

Thoughts?

David

post-32602-0-49814900-1391019507_thumb.jpg

Edited by David_Bailey

Is the navigation behavior by design or a mix up? Anyone use a mouse scroll wheel to navigate Accordance modules?

David

Edited by David_Bailey

Only up and down but yes I do. I believe my mouse can do the side to side thingie too - I'll check when I get home.

Thx

D

Hey David,

So I tried this out. With so much of the content reflowing I had a bit of a time finding an example - do you have a couple of examples - perhaps I have one of them and could try it. Where I'd really like this support is in the library and the tool contents panes which do not reflow and I often keep below the full width.

In any case I tried it with ZIBBCNT on a zoomed in image where it does function. Push wheel to the left more of the image comes in from the right hand side, of push to the right more of the image slides over from the left.Is that what you are seeing ? That does indeed seem a little odd. You push left and the horizontal scroll bar moves to the right, and vice versa. Hmmmm.... need to try another app.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler

Push wheel to the left more of the image comes in from the right hand side, of push to the right more of the image slides over from the left.Is that what you are seeing ? That does indeed seem a little odd. You push left and the horizontal scroll bar moves to the right, and vice versa. Hmmmm.... need to try another app.

Thx

D

Hello Daniel,

Yes, that is what I am seeing too. Try the Timeline.

thanks,

David

Edit: I attached a screenshot of my workspace with Timeline.

post-32602-0-62784500-1391054996_thumb.jpg

Edited by David_Bailey

Hi David,

Actually Timeline Sampler (I don't have the full thing) is worse for me it seems. I cannot get it to move more than a couple of jumps sideways before it just stops. But yep it shows the same behaviour with respect to direction.

Thx

D

Hi David,

Actually Timeline Sampler (I don't have the full thing) is worse for me it seems. I cannot get it to move more than a couple of jumps sideways before it just stops. But yep it shows the same behaviour with respect to direction.

Thx

D

Does the navigation direction bug occur in Accordance for Mac?

Nope - there I use swipe of course but things go the way you would expect.

Thx

D

Nope - there I use swipe of course but things go the way you would expect.

Thx

D

thanks, Daniel, for checking on the Mac.

David, if you are using a Logitech mouse, you can change the scrolling direction with the Logitech SetPoint app. If you have the G500 as pictured, then it looks like you need Logitech Gaming Software instead of SetPoint. You can download this from http://logitech.com/download .

I have only used the Mac version, Logitech Control Center, but I assume that the Windows app has the same features. I can set Tilt Left to Horizontal Scroll and then choose Left or Right. I can also add a setting just for Accordance so that it doesn't affect other apps.

However, the bug is the scroll direction in Accordance for Windows, not with my Logitech mouse settings. On other apps, when I push the scroll wheel left or right, the scroll direction in the app is left or right, respectively.

When you push the mouse wheel to the right (Tilt Right), does the scrolling in Accordance move to the right? Likewise, when you push the mouse wheel to the left (Tilt Left), does the scrolling move left in Accordance? If yes to both questions, the horizontal scroll behavior is correct. With Accordance for Windows, the answer to both questions is no.

David

Edited by David_Bailey

On my Mac, the map content in Accordance slides toward the right when I tilt right. That is, the right side of the map disappears off the screen. Likewise, the map slides downward (bottom edge goes off screen) as I move the scroll wheel toward me. The map moves in the direction that my finger moves, like a touch screen. I checked a few other apps, and they all scroll the same way, so this is consistent. I have Tilt Right set to Horizontal Scroll Right.

• 1 month later...

On my PC, the tilt right / tilt left using the mouse wheel behaves correctly in Accordance 10.4.1. Thank you Accordance programming team!

Edited by David_Bailey