Vocab Building Format

Martin Z

As I was trying to building vocabularies for a class. I found a problem.

My goal is to export the vocab to quizlet.com for me to memorize.

from the analysis result, I see that usually, the result follow the format as:

1) the lexical form; 2) the root; and 3) the definition with frequency in the selected passage.

But there are also some words that do not have the root in the parentheses (I assume the reason is that the lexical form and the root are identical). Therefore, There are only two columns:

1) the lexical form; 2) the definition with frequency in the selected passage.

The result would look like this:

post-32138-0-17200800-1397021429_thumb.jpg

the problem is, I could have copied the 2nd column and the 3rd column to quizlet. But now, before I do that, I have to move the second row one column further to the right in order to keep it in align with most other words.

and There are quite a few words like that, depending on the passage.

Is it possible for Acc to change the analysis result format so that I can get the result as either

1) the lexical form; 2) the root; and 3) the definition with frequency in the selected passage.

1) the lexical form; 2) the definition with frequency in the selected passage.

post-32138-0-84617900-1397021356_thumb.jpg

or

1) the lexical form; 1) the lexical form; 2) the definition with frequency in the selected passage.

post-32138-0-70231300-1397021380_thumb.jpg

(Just repeat the lexical form once to fill the column 1.)

so that I don't have to move them manually in order to copy and paste them into quizlet?

Thanks,

Martin

Edited by martinacc

I agree. I've had some trouble with formatting these kinds of results for export, too.

In fact, it would be nice if these results were in table form within Accordance, separated by tabs. When there is no data, simply insert a space and a tab.

Meanwhile, I have found that I can copy and paste results like these into MS Word, then use its Advanced Search and Replace to replace every white space with a tab (Use the drop down "Special" menu.). The result can be pasted into Excel and the columns then easily adjusted and rearranged.

Hope this helps!

post-29215-0-53258200-1397049050_thumb.png

post-29215-0-42959500-1397049063_thumb.png

If you select all the text in the Analysis pane (locate focus there then cmd-A) you can save the output to a text file - File -> Save Text Selection as -> RTF/PlainText - I think in 10.3.4 and afterwards. And then you can post process that file with a script. I've done this for Greek but not for Hebrew but the format you describe is basically identical to Greek. And handful of regexes clean it up in no time and a script can readily account for the slight irregularities in the output.

thx

D

Tim, they already are tab-delimited, which is why you can paste into a spreadsheet program already.

Martin, I'm not sure if the root is important, but if you hide it, everything will always be in a nice two-column format. Just go to Command-T (Control-T on Windows) and uncheck 'Show Root with LEX'.

Thanks, Joel!

That change may have happened after I worked out my solution; I'm not sure.

Thanks, Tim, Dan and Joel.

To Joel,

Thanks. I do not need the root at this moment. Your suggestion helps.

But in the long run, I would still want to insert another blank tab before the lexical form where it does have the root displayed (or the lexical form and root are identical), just as Tim said.

Or just repeat the lexical form as the root.

Thanks!

Here is an example of a direct copy and paste into [Apple] Numbers. It's a parsing chart from Gen. 1:1f.

Joel, yes, this is MUCH improved from when I first worked with these tables. I remember now you had said you were going to work on this feature, but honestly haven't taken the opportunity to check it until now. Well done! :-) This will save a lot of us a lot of time.

Thanks!

post-29215-0-15375700-1397060449_thumb.png

Hey Martin,

Question for you on Quizlet. I use Cram and thus am not familiar with Quizlet.

How does Quizlet handle import of more than two fields ? Does it create 3 or greater "sided" cards ? I believe Cram can do three sided but I believe the 3rd side is considered a hint.

Thx

D

Hey Martin,

Question for you on Quizlet. I use Cram and thus am not familiar with Quizlet.

How does Quizlet handle import of more than two fields ? Does it create 3 or greater "sided" cards ? I believe Cram can do three sided but I believe the 3rd side is considered a hint.

Thx

D

Hey Dan,

I just started to use Quizlet.

I use only two fields. I don't see anywhere I can add a third column. When I creat vocab list for myself, I just put hints and the definition together.

Martin

Ah I see Martin - I had a quick look at the interface - its pretty similar to Cram it turns out.

I've gone back and forth on the roots thing. But the reason I asked about this was that if you use tab delimiting and you have : word <tab> root <tab> def. I was wondering what the import would do with it. It looks like it will have nowhere to go.

What I do when I have roots is keep them with the word.

Thx

D

Ah I see Martin - I had a quick look at the interface - its pretty similar to Cram it turns out.

I've gone back and forth on the roots thing. But the reason I asked about this was that if you use tab delimiting and you have : word <tab> root <tab> def. I was wondering what the import would do with it. It looks like it will have nowhere to go.

What I do when I have roots is keep them with the word.

Thx

D

I copy to Word first, and copy from Word to Excel. It works fine.

If I copy to Excel first, it will not work well.

Ah now that's odd - I was thinking about the last bit - pasting into Quizlet - which I think I can guess at the operation of now. But having to do a two hop c& p is odd.

Thx

D

Ah now that's odd - I was thinking about the last bit - pasting into Quizlet - which I think I can guess at the operation of now. But having to do a two hop c& p is odd.

Thx

D

Yes. As you may have notice, when you copy the data from the Acc. There are two 'tabs' before each row. That is why when you copy to Excel, there are two blanck columns. I'm not sure why they added the two tabs. I can show you how this could cause a problem for output.

at here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM7q2BjfviY

#74) Building Vocabulary

Dr. Tim showed us how to build the vocabulary.

In his demonstration, when he copied the data to the spreadsheet, the first row was not in the right position.

post-32138-0-69051200-1397091481_thumb.jpg

The reason is because, he did not select the two tabs in the first row. If you select the first two blank tabs, it will be fine.

(But I still don't understand why it has to have two blank tabs before each row. If it doesn't have the two tabs, my guess is that, we will be able to copy to Quizlet directly.)

post-32138-0-21934800-1397091503_thumb.jpg

And, I don't know why when I copy to the spreadsheet directly, it just doesn't work correctly (For this reason, I'm afraid that, even if we can copy to Quizlet directly, would it be just like when it is copied to Excel as below?. This deserves another research...

post-32138-0-23421100-1397091434_thumb.jpg

Edited by martinacc

Hmmm.... ok - I see now that my script has a replace for those leading double tabs. I'd forgotten about them. Happens in the Greek analysis tab also. My guess is that the formatter for the analysis pane uses them to guide rendering, one tab per level of indentation. If you play with more complex analysis tabs you will see more indentation.

On the Excel picture at the bottom of your post, that looks like it has some RTL stuff going on. Perhaps Word is helping you with that.

Thx

D

Hey Martin,

Its worth noting that what Dr. J posted above is not an Analysis tab but a parsing output - (cmd-A, right click -> Look Up -> Parsing) . I just looked at that output and its way better formatted than the last time I looked. I am going to try to use that for another drill exercise that I have wanted to do. The problem I haven't worked out with it is how to get that display for just the words I want, rather than those for the entire verse.

Thx

D

Hey Martin,

Its worth noting that what Dr. J posted above is not an Analysis tab but a parsing output - (cmd-A, right click -> Look Up -> Parsing) . I just looked at that output and its way better formatted than the last time I looked. I am going to try to use that for another drill exercise that I have wanted to do. The problem I haven't worked out with it is how to get that display for just the words I want, rather than those for the entire verse.

Thx

D

I'm a little bit confused. Why I didn't see "Parsing"?

post-32138-0-53795300-1397098292_thumb.jpg

Hmmm.... ok - I see now that my script has a replace for those leading double tabs. I'd forgotten about them. Happens in the Greek analysis tab also. My guess is that the formatter for the analysis pane uses them to guide rendering, one tab per level of indentation. If you play with more complex analysis tabs you will see more indentation.

On the Excel picture at the bottom of your post, that looks like it has some RTL stuff going on. Perhaps Word is helping you with that.

Thx

D

I don't konw what is RTL. This is what happened when I copy from Acc to Excel directly.

But if I copy to Word first, and copy from word to Excel, it will work perfectly...

That's why I was wondering...is that a problem of Excel, or of Acc?

I'm a little bit confused. Why I didn't see "Parsing"?

The problem here is that the selection has to be from the search tab not the analysis tab. You've selected the analysis content - try the search tab.

RTL means Right To Left - sorry. Formatting of RTL text is problematic in a number of programs. The forums are full of posts on it.

Thx

D

The problem here is that the selection has to be from the search tab not the analysis tab. You've selected the analysis content - try the search tab.

RTL means Right To Left - sorry. Formatting of RTL text is problematic in a number of programs. The forums are full of posts on it.

Thx

D

I see. Thanks!

Anyway, mine still messes up...

Copy from Acc to Excel:

post-32138-0-69379400-1397101237_thumb.jpg

Copy from Acc to Word, then from Word to Excel:

post-32138-0-54036800-1397101248_thumb.jpg

Ok so I tried a little more 'cos I hate it when I can't get it to work :)

I use LibreOffice but in any case I got hopeless stuff just pasting it in like you did only perhaps a little worse.

But if I select the text in the parsing - whichever bits I want and do File -> Save Selection As -> Plain text....

then I can open that into LibreOffice telling it what delimiters to use (tab or semi-colon but not comma) I then get a nice import that looks like what you have. So you might try that sort of approach with Excel. But it might be as much hassle to you as the current method I don't know.

Thx

D

• 3 months later...

I agree. I've had some trouble with formatting these kinds of results for export, too.

In fact, it would be nice if these results were in table form within Accordance, separated by tabs. When there is no data, simply insert a space and a tab.

I second this. Though in a tab format already, it would be nice to see consistency throughout the word chart, parsing chart, and the analytics for words count. Then each column would be the same throughout: "Lemma | Root | Gloss | Count" etc. The "=" would be unnecessary for the count and could (should be in opinion) removed. Same with the parenthesis around the root form. The export would become extremely ideal for the common purposes of vocab lists, etc.

Corey Farcas
MDiv/MABL '15
Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

cfarcas@gcts.edu

Hi, Corey!

I'd recommend always using the parsing chart for vocab lists. Its tabs now line up perfectly.

We can select an entire passage, if we want every word in a passage; we can also do a search for unusual words using the [COUNT] command and set the Parsing preferences to show only hit words. See podcast #74) Building Vocabulary.

• 2 weeks later...

Dr. J,

Thanks for pointer. Parsing chart can be really valuable, creating an instant reader guide. For vocab lists though I prefer the analysis window because there are no repeated words in this feature. For flashcard lists that's the best format.

It would be great to see the analysis window include the root for every word and then allow for a sort via that root. At present I do a work around in numbers so I can then sort by root and create a custom vocab list with related words all together.

Corey Farcas
MDiv/MABL '15
cfarcas@gcts.edu

Good point, Corey, and a nice suggestion for others.

• 2 weeks later...

To follow up on the creating great vocab lists with roots, here's a short work flow (for Mac). Hope it works well for those interested!

1) Find the words you want from Accordance and open them in an Analysis window (this can get complicated – for another post).

2) Prepare a vocab list arranged by root with three columns: Root, Lemma, Gloss

2a) Copy and paste Accordance list into Numbers

2b) Clean up the list so that all you're left with is three columns: Lemma, (Root), and Gloss

2c) Arrange the spreadsheet according to Lemmas so you can see all the word (always the verbs) that only have a Lemma (which doubles as their Root)

2d) Copy and paste those Lemmas and Glosses of those words over one so that the words have a Lemma, Root, and Gloss

2e) Rearrange columns so that the order is Root, Lemma, Gloss

3) Export list into tab files (e.g. for Quizlet)

3a) Remove the parenthesis

3b) Arrange the spreadsheet according to Roots (Numbers can arrange alphabetically in Hebrew now)
3c) Copy and paste // export only the Lemma and Gloss columns into vocab app
End Result: Vocab List with words grouped by Root.
Other options: Add parenthesis to the Roots without them and then merge the Lemma with Roots – Lemma (Root), Gloss. You can also keep the frequency count. In any case I hope this helps!
PS – It would still be great to have the analysis window operate more like a spreadsheet and every word (verbs included) to list a Root. #FEATURE REQUEST
Blessings,
Corey Farcas
MDiv/MABL '15
cfarcas@gcts.edu