Updating Modules

Ron Bailey

I have just updated to Accordance 8.1.1. I see that there are other updates to some of the modules that I have. In particular I see there are updates to the NKJV and to the GNT-TRS modules. How do I access these updates? The updater seems to imply that I can only do so by purchasing new DVDs.

http://img.skitch.com/20081114-nch5uiq9pi4ayd396845dppdnd.jpg

There are some modules that are, as you suspect, only upgradeable through purchasing a new DVD (or other resource). Generally, if there were a free download available the "Download" button would be available for you to click.

I have noticed, however, that a couple of my modules seem to be listed as "Out of Date" when they are not, in fact. This seems to be because the update checker is not recognizing the version number properly, or something. For me, Psalms (Spurgeon) is listed as out of date, even though I double checked to see that I had the most current version copied from the ver. 8 DVD.

I wish more modules were available as download as well. Why some things can be updated via download, and others by disc is not clear. It would seem that if they were available as a download, then as more and more fixes are applied, the consumer would have immediate access to the modules.

As yet, I have not made the decision of whether or not to buy Accordance. I will say though that importing anything into Canada is expensive, and that expense is often greatly increased when duties are involved. One of the things I love about Logos is that many of the modules can be downloaded. Not being able to download is not a deal breaker, but the option to download sure is an attractive feature.

All the very best,

John Maddocks

Brampton, ON

I wish more modules were available as download as well. Why some things can be updated via download, and others by disc is not clear. It would seem that if they were available as a download, then as more and more fixes are applied, the consumer would have immediate access to the modules.

I'll reply here to a few posts at once:

I have just updated to Accordance 8.1.1. I see that there are other updates to some of the modules that I have. In particular I see there are updates to the NKJV and to the GNT-TRS modules. How do I access these updates? The updater seems to imply that I can only do so by purchasing new DVDs.

The current policy of whether or not to post a downloadable version online takes into account a few issues:

1) The size of download

2) The time the update was released

3) The availability of it via media (DVD, CD, etc.)

We generally do not plan to host updates to the very large modules, though this may be changing in the future. The main thing concerning updates is the availability of it via purchased means. For modules that received an update in the Primary DVD release back in May, we do not plan to post those at this time, to encourage users to stay up to date with their physical content too. Generally any modules updated since then that would require either an obscure purchase to get, or do not have any CD purchase possible will be posted online. Considering the DVD is only $15 for existing users and contains vast amount of material, including the latest versions of most modules, we don't consider that to be a huge problem for most users. That being said, it is our goal to offer more and more resources available for download online, especially to help our international users. philologos, if you do already own the DVD, just run the installer, checking the 'Update All Modules' checkbox, to help get most (if not all) of those modules up to date.

I have noticed, however, that a couple of my modules seem to be listed as "Out of Date" when they are not, in fact. This seems to be because the update checker is not recognizing the version number properly, or something. For me, Psalms (Spurgeon) is listed as out of date, even though I double checked to see that I had the most current version copied from the ver. 8 DVD.

We are aware of this issue with Psalms (Spurgeon). It was intended to be fixed in 8.1.1, but with the huge rush in our preparations for ETS/SBL, it is possible it slipped through the cracks and will be fixed with 8.1.2. Are there any other modules also reporting a bad version?

As I mentioned above, we are aiming to offer more modules for download. The general rule is, however for the time being, that if there has been a fix applied since the last major release (6 months ago, now), it is posted for download.

As yet, I have not made the decision of whether or not to buy Accordance. I will say though that importing anything into Canada is expensive, and that expense is often greatly increased when duties are involved. One of the things I love about Logos is that many of the modules can be downloaded. Not being able to download is not a deal breaker, but the option to download sure is an attractive feature.

All the very best,

John Maddocks

Brampton, ON

Thanks for your interest in Accordance. As others have certainly mentioned, between the Video Demos, the downloadable demo, and the $49 Starter Collection that gets applied to any package purchase, you have many options to help decide if Accordance is right for you. We do offer, in addition to getting updates via the Accordance Updater, quite a few Free and Purchased modules for download. Between the full program and all of these downloads, you can do fairly well without having to actually have any media shipped to you. I would encourage you to call the sales staff (toll-free) at (877) 339-5855, if anything to just ask them about your shipping situation. I am sure they have a good idea about what shipping and duty costs you would have to deal with and will do their best to help make it as smooth as possible. You of course can call them for just information, before you have made the decision whether or not to buy.

I hope this helps, but sorry for all the links! Feel free to ask any more questions.

We are aware of this issue with Psalms (Spurgeon). It was intended to be fixed in 8.1.1, but with the huge rush in our preparations for ETS/SBL, it is possible it slipped through the cracks and will be fixed with 8.1.2. Are there any other modules also reporting a bad version?

I hope this helps, but sorry for all the links! Feel free to ask any more questions.

I am not sure why some of my modules appear to be outdated or if this is what you mean by "reporting a bad version" but I have the Library 8 Premier Level and used the Primary 8 DVD to update the modules. Yet when I run the updater it shows that I have eight slightly outdated modules that are "Included in the upgrade to your level of Primary 8 DVD." I have searched and tried numerous times to upgrade these modules to no avail.

If this has already been covered elsewhere please accept my apology and direct me to the page that I need to see.

Thanks!

Snapshot_2008_11_15_09_13_01.tiff

I will look into this issue. The Psalms (Spurgeon) needs a new modules to be uploaded, and for technical reasons I cannot upload new updates for the next few weeks. Please run the Primary Installer again and tell it to update all modules (check box) and see if it does not fix the others.

• 2 weeks later...

Joel

I really believe this is a shortsighted policy. I personally do not desire to purchase a DVD just to update modules that could easily be downloaded.

Jack

For modules that received an update in the Primary DVD release back in May, we do not plan to post those at this time, to encourage users to stay up to date with their physical content too. Generally any modules updated since then that would require either an obscure purchase to get, or do not have any CD purchase possible will be posted online. Considering the DVD is only $15 for existing users and contains vast amount of material, including the latest versions of most modules, we don't consider that to be a huge problem for most users. That being said, it is our goal to offer more and more resources available for download online, especially to help our international users. philologos, if you do already own the DVD, just run the installer, checking the 'Update All Modules' checkbox, to help get most (if not all) of those modules up to date.

For most users, it is $25, not $15, since shipping is charged on top of the DVD at a minimum of $10. $25 is a fairly substantial amount for what generally are corrections and refinements. It looks like with the release of the 8.1 DVD, the number of modules available for download is decreasing since the updated BHS and LXX1/LXX2 are only available via the DVD when they were available before as a download. Is this a correct understanding of what is happening with the updates to these modules?

Please will you all be patient with us! We are a small company and our resources are fully stretched at present. We just mastered the DVD and a parallel CD set with about 450 items each, with installers that update each module the user has, and accurately install new items. We just had our busiest week ever at the ETS and SBL meetings. I have only now been able to update the website and announce the new products, and we are getting ready for the sale that everyone else is promising that we will have. ;)

In my spare time I am preparing a major move of our website to what we hope will be a more reliable server and more sophisticated online ordering system. We hope to complete the transition next weekend, and I will be working around the clock until then. The updates of version numbers, and of downloadable updates, will happen on the new website, eventually. No, there is no-one else to whom I can hand over all this work, though our webdesigners have done a tremendous job.

Now, as for the question of updates: we really want people to get the latest DVD or CD set, not so that we make money off the sale (we don't) but because this updates all their modules and gives them access to all the new ones. We simply are not set up to post individual installers for each module, and these would be more hassle for the user than installing from the DVD. The updates require less work on our part (thanks to Joel), but still take a lot of space and bandwidth. Those cost money. I do plan to post as updates all the Library modules that were updated since the 8.0 DVD, but that is close to 1 Gig and will cost us about $1 per user to download. I hope that scholars will consider the investment in the new DVD to be worthwhile, but I will post updates to the core tagged texts.

We plan to look into the question of providing more new items for download, once the dust settles. With all the options that we allow our users, this is no simple matter. Moreover, the entire Accordance library takes up about 10 Gig, so bandwidth and storage are again an issue.

May I also remind you gently that if OakTree does not stay in business, there will be no more updates of Accordance. We are in no danger whatsoever of going out of business any time soon, but we do need to weigh the implications of the decisions we make and the services we offer, to ensure that our financial health continues. Free updates of everything forever might sound lovely to our users, but could prove dangerous to our health. It is the support of our users that keeps us afloat, as well as the growing number of new users. I sometimes gently chide a user who is still happily using Accordance 2 or 3 (until he gets a MacIntel) that if all our users were like him, we would be out of business.

Thank you all for the feedback, and please be patient with us in the transition time. In summary:

If you do not have Primary 8 DVD you need to get it.

If you have the Library 8 you will be able to download a huge batch of updates.

If you are a scholar you should get Primary 8.1, even if you have Primary 8.

Helen,

Thank you for that very thorough reply! Most helpful and encouraging.

Archived