Free Movie Tutorials

Ron Bailey

Free Movie Tutorials

The Accordance Training DVD includes over 5 hours of video instruction at your own pace. All the movies can be watched and downloaded free here:

Note: The Introduction to Tools movie can be downloaded in place of the defective one (double soundtrack) on the initial batch of DVDs.

Clicking the 'here' takes me to the DVD Tutorial Page but I can't download any of these titles. It seems to begin the process with a Quicktime screen but then aborts.

Am I doing something wrong?

Clicking the 'here' takes me to the DVD Tutorial Page but I can't download any of these titles. It seems to begin the process with a Quicktime screen but then aborts.

Am I doing something wrong?

I think you need QuickTime Pro ($29) to be able to save movies directly from the browser, but I'm not sure this directly explains what you are seeing: "begin ... then aborts."

We are looking into making the video files more easily downloadable, for those that want to view them later offline. In the meantime, there is a (somewhat) complicated way to be able to download the files (instructions for Safari users):

1) View the movie file as normal (you don't have to wait for it to download at all).

2) View the source of the page (Command-Option-U)

3) You'll see a line around the middle that reads:

<param name="src" value="../movies/Welcome.mov">

except the filename near the end will be related to the specific movie you are trying to download. Remember that filename.

4) Type in the manual url http://www.biblesoftwaremac.com/training/movies/[filename].mov , so in this example for the Welcome video, it is http://www.biblesoftwaremac.com/training/movies/Welcome.mov

5) This will load the video directly in the browser, rather than via a nice javascript.

6) Open up the Activity window, Command-Option-A.

7) You'll see a single line near the bottom, representing the URL you just entered in step #4.

8) Option-Double Click on that line to download it as a file to your downloads folder.

Yes, this method is a bit complicated, but its a way to be able to save them to your drive without needing QT Pro or anything else.

Thanks for all your help.

I have discovered that it is loading the Quicktime movie but 'oh...so slowly' that I had concluded it had aborted. Once it is loaded I can save it as a web-archive. I will give your work around a try. The few that I have downloaded are transforming my use of Accordance. I have had the programme and used it almost daily for several years but the grammatical construct options are opening up a whole world of linguistic treasures.

Thanks for all your help.

I have discovered that it is loading the Quicktime movie but 'oh...so slowly' that I had concluded it had aborted. Once it is loaded I can save it as a web-archive. I will give your work around a try. The few that I have downloaded are transforming my use of Accordance. I have had the programme and used it almost daily for several years but the grammatical construct options are opening up a whole world of linguistic treasures.

Hi,

I found I didn't even have to wait for the movie to download...

- I clicked on the hyperlink for the movie I wanted

- As soon as the window opened (while still loading the movie), I clicked File>Save Page As

- In the dialogue box, I left the file name as is and changed to save to desktop, then clicked Save

- Immediately, I closed the initial window that was trying to load the movie, and the download began to my desktop

- While I waited for this one to download, I repeated the above steps with 2-3 more movies, eventually having 3-4 downloading at once

- Once they finish, there was a folder on the desktop for each movie with a QT file in it of the particular movie

- I then made a "Training DVD" folder in my Accordance folder and organized all the movies in subfolders in the the same order that they are on the website so that they are always there for review

It still takes a long time for the movies to download, but you can be doing something else at the same time, though the computer slows down a bit. Once 3-4 are done, you can get 3-4 more downloading, etc.

This really worked well for me, see if it helps you?

John

Does that save them as Quicktime Movies or as Web Archives?

Hi John

Thanks for this. I seem to have difficulty finding the "Save Page as" in the File dropdown..

- I clicked on the hyperlink for the movie I wanted

- As soon as the window opened (while still loading the movie), I clicked File>Save Page As

When I opt for File>Save As.. I get the option to save it as a Web Archive or Source Page??

Are you doing this straight from the Tutorials page or creating a new URL as Joel suggested eg

http://www.biblesoftwaremac.com/training/m.../KeyNumbers.mov

I am plodding on, but it is slow work.

thanks again...

I downloaded all of them using the browser firefox, with the plugin flashgot.

Firefox: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Flashgot: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/220

After installing them, you should see that there is an option that allows to 'download all', under Tools>FlashGot

;)

YingLam

Hi John

Thanks for this. I seem to have difficulty finding the "Save Page as" in the File dropdown..

When I opt for File>Save As.. I get the option to save it as a Web Archive or Source Page??

Are you doing this straight from the Tutorials page or creating a new URL as Joel suggested eg

http://www.biblesoftwaremac.com/training/m.../KeyNumbers.mov

I am plodding on, but it is slow work.

thanks again...

Sorry to be so long in replying...

I'm using Firefox, so that may be the issue. I don't get any intermediate dialog boxes other than the steps I outlined. I am not using the method the previous poster posted, but rather just Firefox as it comes by itself.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

John

Sorry to be so long in replying...

OK, thanks John. I am slowly making my way through the list using the longer method.

I have used Accordance for about 3 years now but this Tutorial has transformed my use of it. I really had no idea of the power of the programme until I began to work through these tutorials. It ought to be made compulsory! :rolleyes:

Archived