Speed issues

RichRobinson

Hi, I recently upgraded to Accordance 9 from version 8. Actually 9.1. There is a noticeable speed degradation from version 8 when opening windows, highlighting text, etc. Any ideas? This is a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, OSX 10.6.5, 4 GB memory.

In addition, control-D no longer works to choose "Don't Save" from dialogue boxes.

Thanks for any help or insights,

Rich

Rich,

Speed issues would be surprising, and i would bet there's something else going on. Trying keeping Activity Monitor running, and see what's using CPU cycles the most.

As for the save window reminder, I can verify that control-D or command-D does not do anything in the dropdown dialog. However, I couldn't have told you it did in the first place, since I turned off that option more than a decade ago. If you like, you can go to Preferences/General and check "Suppress save warning for all windows".

Hi Rich,

I had the similar problem before. After a bit of investigation, I find that some other running programs affected the speed of Accordance 9.

In my case, whenever I run a program, named "FontExplorer X", the speed of Accordance 9 will decrease dramatically.

Therefore, if I want to use Accordance 9, I have to close that program. Hope it helps.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Hi Rich,

I had the similar problem before. After a bit of investigation, I find that some other running programs affected the speed of Accordance 9.

In my case, whenever I run a program, named "FontExplorer X", the speed of Accordance 9 will decrease dramatically.

Therefore, if I want to use Accordance 9, I have to close that program. Hope it helps.

Chris

Hi Kit,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post. I was noticing serious speed issues with Accordance... it was pegging 100% CPU when simply scrolling. And I was getting totally bummed as a new Accordance user. But then I quit "FontExplorer X" after reading your post with AMAZING results... Accordance is lightning fast and instantaneous no matter what I do. YES! Wooohooo!

I guess the question is why - anyone have a clue? "FontExplorer X" doesn't seem to affect any other apps on my Mac.

Blessings,

Ray

Dear Rich: I had a similar issue right after upgrade to version 9.

Went to utilities, ran disc check and repaired permissions, have not had the issue since.

I had noticed some other things had slowed slightly before upgrade, so it was all related.

No problems since, Accordance is fast, often loading results before I can notice the change-literally.

I have leaned back to wait, then noticed results already occurred.

Hope this helps.

Rusty+

Thanks for the replies. Regarding the solutions proposed:

1. Repairing permissions seems to marginally increase the speed.

2. Quitting my font program seems to solve the speed issue. I am using Suitcase Fusion 12.1.7 on Mac OSX 10.6.6. When I quit, there is a warning that fonts will no longer be available to programs, however, I was able to use Accordance including the Hebrew module. Anyone here have experience with Suitcase Fusion who could comment?

3. Accordance does need to fix the problem with various font programs contribution to serious slowdown!

2. Quitting my font program seems to solve the speed issue. I am using Suitcase Fusion 12.1.7 on Mac OSX 10.6.6. When I quit, there is a warning that fonts will no longer be available to programs, however, I was able to use Accordance including the Hebrew module. Anyone here have experience with Suitcase Fusion who could comment?

The same for me. I had Suitcase Fusion 13.2.2 prefpane turned on and it made Accordance crawl. Turning it off solved my problem. Accordance is really fast! And search speed

• 4 weeks later...

The same for me. I had Suitcase Fusion 13.2.2 prefpane turned on and it made Accordance crawl. Turning it off solved my problem. Accordance is really fast! And search speed… mmmm… sweeet! :)

Yes, it helps but the problem is ... Suitcase Fusion (I use 12.1.7) is needed for other programs, e.g. Word. Accordance is Mac-based. It needs to be fixed for those of us who NEED to use third-party font software because we have so many fonts (FontBook doesn't cut it with hundreds of fonts). Can we hear a word from the Accordance people in this forum if they will try to solve this speed issue. Speed remains completely unacceptable when Suitcase Fusion is running - it was fine in Accordance 8, but not in 9.

Accordance engineers, anyone?

UPDATE as of February 8, 2011, 4 PM - just installed 9.2 up from 9.1.1. So far it seems to be seriously more responsive. I will monitor it to see if that continues. If this is really a fix, then thank you Accordance!

Archived