Liddell and Scott Greek-English Lexicon (LSJ) - Release of unabridged ed.?

Elliot Taylor

Hi,

Been waiting on the LSJ (complete, unabridged with supplement) for some time now... It's been on the Planned Release page since 2009;

any updates or eta? - holding out for Accordance module vs. Logos edition.

Thanks!

Elliot

Interesting that you ask now, we do finally see some light at the end of the tunnel after a very long wait. I cannot say more now, but I hope we'll have the LSJ in Accordance soon.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Any update? I, too, having been eagerly waiting. I know it's in the works now, right?

Thanks

Thanks, Helen. I don't know how all of you are managing to get so much done all at the same time.

• 1 year later...

Per Daniel Wallace, a competitor has released Liddell-Scott-Jones Greek-English Lexicon, including the supplement, which is not included in the Accordance module released last summer. He praised it for integrating the supplement into the main text.

Is Accordance working on such inclusion and integration of the supplement?

It is interesting that this is the second time Professor Wallace has recently praised the offering of the other company on his blog. I thought he was an Accordance user.

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta

Just chiming in to second the usefulness/suggestion of having the supplement integrated with the main text. I have LSJ as Wallace does, and it's been a big time-saver. The release Wallace mentions is not a new one--I think it's been out in that format for some time.

Per Daniel Wallace, a competitor has released Liddell-Scott-Jones Greek-English Lexicon, including the supplement, which is not included in the Accordance module released last summer. He praised it for integrating the supplement into the main text.

That particular module, which I own, is occasionally unreliable. I have run into entries where parts of an entry were simply missing. Which leads me to use it only with a double check in Accordance or the print edition - not really what you would want to do with an electronic resource.

Looking up the supplement entry would not be nearly as tedious in electronic format as in print, so just providing the supplement in Accordance would be nice, even if it wasn't integrated into the main part.

That particular module, which I own, is occasionally unreliable. I have run into entries where parts of an entry were simply missing. Which leads me to use it only with a double check in Accordance or the print edition - not really what you would want to do with an electronic resource.

Professor Wallace's review was not uniformly positive. He noted, "There are a few irritating features, however. Chief among them are the numerous accent mistakes on word entries. All too frequently, accents are left off words, especially adjectives and nouns. Sometimes double accents are used; other times a grave accent is found over the penult. (Some examples..."

Boris, have you noted any omissions in the Accordance module?

Looking up the supplement entry would not be nearly as tedious in electronic format as in print, so just providing the supplement in Accordance would be nice, even if it wasn't integrated into the main part.

Point well taken Jonathan. Having the supplement would suffice, and if cited in a manuscript, it would be clearer what is being cited.

Hi Michael, There are errors in the Accordance LSJ. I've reported at least a couple myself but they have not been accenting, but rather partial entries. I don't know why it happens but there have been cases where there were large chunks of the entry is missing. I usually cross-check with Perseus in such cases.

Thx
D

Hi Michael, There are errors in the Accordance LSJ. I've reported at least a couple myself but they have not been accenting, but rather partial entries. I don't know why it happens but there have been cases where there were large chunks of the entry is missing. I usually cross-check with Perseus in such cases.

Thx

D

Disconcerting. Presumably Accordance was given an imperfect etext, but what text (or tool) is error free?

Thanks Daniel!

We are working to correct the missing sections and plan an update this summer.

I don't know how we could get the supplement, short of etexting it ourselves.

• Like 1

FWIW, little bit of background (on the forums) on the supplement here.

Boris, have you noted any omissions in the Accordance module?

No, I have not; perhaps part of Logos' difficulty with the module lies in the integration of the supplement. I have notified them of my findings, but Logos is usually slow in fixing their modules.

Interesting, though, that others have found parts missing from the Accordance module - we seem to be looking up different words. Does this mean that the original text is not to blame but rather its implementation into different programs?

Edited by Boris Repschinski

No, I have not; perhaps part of Logos' difficulty with the module lies in the integration of the supplement. I have notified them of my findings, but Logos is usually slow in fixing their modules.

Interesting, though, that others have found parts missing from the Accordance module - we seem to be looking up different words. Does this mean that the original text is not to blame but rather its implementation into different programs?

While the source text did have some issues, the missing portions of entries were accidental issues on our end, which we're working to correct as soon as possible.