Nit picks for 7.0.2

Edified

Hey team- great job on 7. I'm really loving the contextual menus. Glad to hear you're working an a universal binary- that's important because old software will always run well on old hardware and new software should run it's best on new hardware. Great job.

I have just a few suggestions:

1. Get rid of the version number in the menubar. Nobody does that.

2. Drop "About this Text" from the contextual menu. Sure it's in context but it's not used often at all. It's a single pane of text that people read maybe once when they get new modules. I understand that as developers you're always weighing reduced bloat vs functionality and (In my opinion) contextual menus are one place where you aught to keep it concise. Keep it to the most specific contexts (words, sentences, references, paragraphs) as opposed to more general ones (book, codex, application, window). In fact I'd vote for dropping "Set Text Pane Display" also. I really like the word_auto_select for contextual menus except that it zaps any other selection. In english texts it might be nice to not have a context sub-menu for search. I'm not liking having to do" Search For >> Word" every time. You might also consider decapitalizing "For" and "In" as most other Apps do.

Cheers, Great Work,

Ed Palma

Personally I like the "About this text..." option in the contextual menu because it helps me cite sources more quickly. I've used that feature several times already. I also would vote against removing the set text display, as that seems relevant to me in a contextual menu as well. Even if you did happen to remove it though, anyone reading the blog should know command-t by now! :lol:

I heartily agree that taking the version number off the title would be a good move. Just my two cents.

I also noticed that there's heavy jpg compression in the "About Accordance..." screen. PNGs please! It's a beautiful logo, it deserves to be pixel perfect.

Ed Palma

I recall asking David Lang about the "About this text" during a training session at Wheaton and he said they put it in there to appease their publishers. Makes sense to me...I am with Robb, I like it and use it frequently too.

I also agree about the version number in the icon....it is irritating!

I also noticed that there's heavy jpg compression in the "About Accordance..." screen. PNGs please! It's a beautiful logo, it deserves to be pixel perfect.

Ed Palma

You must be talking about the flame? It doesn't look bad to me, but then again I don't see it often since I have "suppress opening splash screen" checked in the General preferences.

Get rid of the version number in the menubar. Nobody does that.

Ed Palma

Not to be too contrary :D , but for those of us "old timers" used to using "professional" applications, the version number in the menubar is fairly common and MUCH appreciated. About 1/3 of the applications in my menubar have the version number and it is handy information that saves a trip to /Macintosh HD/Applications/Accordance folder/Accordance and a "Get Info" to retrieve information.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Having the version number included on the menu bar does seem unnecessary, I would vote for including the actual version number on the "About Accordance" menu choice under file. For some reason, although the menu bar states 7.0.1, the "About Accordance" just says 7.0

If the the "About Accordance" showed the actual version number there would be no need of it being constantly displayed on the menu bar.

Archived