Is it possible to see every way a word is translated in a given translation?

RHuff

I have been trying to figure out how to do this all afternoon. I would like to be able to search for a word in greek or hebrew and see the various ways they are translated. Specifically, I am trying to figure out every way the vav cansecutive is translated in the ESV. I didn't know if there is any way to generate a list or if I would have to go though all the occurrences in a parallel text and manually record the different ways the vav consecutive is translated.

RHuff,

There are several ways to do this. The easiest way is to search on the Hebrew or Greek Strongs/GK number. Basically, with any Translation that contains the additional "S" at the end indicates it has been tagged with the Strongs or GK Tagging schema.

With a Strongs Tagged translation, type command-l and either scan for the word or type in the number you want to search.

Out of curiosity, is there a way to do it without using Strongs? For example, if I want to see every way a particular Hebrew word is translated in the LXX, or the various Hebrew words that a particular LXX word translates?

Thanks. I see now how that works for most words but I was unable to use strongs for the vav consecutive because it doesn't have a strong's number as far as I can tell. I would also love to be able to do what Nathan asked about.

Out of curiosity, is there a way to do it without using Strongs? For example, if I want to see every way a particular Hebrew word is translated in the LXX, or the various Hebrew words that a particular LXX word translates?

Yes. There is a way that you can do it without Strongs. I didn't include this way, for I stuck with addressing the initial question of using Strongs Numbers to facilitate an analysis of how various translations have translated donor words.

For the question you pose above, you would need either (1) proficiency in Greek and Hebrew whereby you can create a work space with the BHS-T in one pane and LXX in another; or (2) add the MT-LXX Module to your Library (which is a superb resource). Now, let me be clear, either of the above is not exclusive. I can read both Greek and Hebrew, and there are times where I will be do 1 above, but there are also times were I will create a workspace using 1 and 2 above. It depends on the type of question you are using, and the various features that you want Accordance to act out on a linguistic corpus (e.g., the software is more than the modules).

If you access the Help files, there are various videos demonstrating the MT-LXX module in use (and how you can piggy back the morphology of the LXX/BHS in your searches). If you can't find the video, I perhaps could screen share with you to give you a demo of what I am talking about. Instant Message me if you are interested.

ps. Using the MT-LXX module requires knowledge of the [MERGE ] command. It's not that difficult to learn, but a very powerful command.

Thanks. I see now how that works for most words but I was unable to use strongs for the vav consecutive because it doesn't have a strong's number as far as I can tell. I would also love to be able to do what Nathan asked about.

Ah, yes, this sort of query extends beyond the usefulness of Strongs Numbers. Depending on the nature of your query, it may even extend beyond what a morphological search could do for you, in which case you would need to run a Syntax Search. To search for a waw-consec. you can opt click in the search (or access the Search Menu Bar), select search for Tag > Verb > Aspect > Waw Consecutive. Note, however, that this is a morphological search and will necessitate the BHS-T, HMT, or BHS-W4.

Let me also mention that the Accordance Help Files are a superb place to scan for learning more about the various search commands and symbols. But, as often with computers and applications, you need to experiment and let your curiosity fuel your quest!

Edited by James Tucker