Importing HTML-Greek Problem

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

I've been trying to import an HTML file that includes mostly English, but does have some Greek. The Greek was originally in Teknia, but I shifted it to Helena before importing. But when I import it into Accordance, the Greek imports as Geneva. Coincidentally, all the Greek in the original file is also red, but it imports as black. The color issue is not a concern for me, but I language issue is.

When I pull the HTML file up in a text editor, the Greek & color is correct.

I seem to remember something about this in the forums before, but I couldn't find it today when I went looking.

I'm running Accordance 7 in Mac OS x (10.4.6).

Um...I haven't seen a response to this yet. Maybe it's because I didn't phrase my problem as a question? So I'll try again:

Why isn't Accordance retaining font information-specifically those words that are in Helena font-when I import an HTML file?

Sorry, Lorinda. Font information is not retained in HTML import to a User Tool, only in copy and paste. All the text is converted to Geneva, i.e. a roman font, and you set the font display as for any other tool.

I suppose an exception could have been made for the Accordance fonts, but until now that has not been programmed into the import of HTML (which is complicated enough already).

Ah. I had begun to wonder if that was the case. Although I didn't find copy and paste to preserve the fonts either. I'll try a few more variations on that.

I would suggest, then, that next tiime you revamp the various help files you make this clear in the section on importing HTML. All the sources I consulted (Help, User's Guide, and I think Mini Manual) included a statement like this:

"To preserve the font and style information you can convert the text to HTML, or copy-and-paste or drag-and-drop the text into the Edit window"

This wording is from the Help in Accordance, but my memory is I found the like in the other sources. I assumed that "font and style information" included the font tagging in addition to bold, italics, etc.

Archived