Some thoughts on Timeline

Ken Han

Has Dr. J done a detailed screencast on the Timeline feature?

I think Timeline is one of Accordance's most underappreciated features. For example, I think Timeline has the potential to be a great research tool for students of church history / historical theology. To that end, what if:

1. Let Timeline automatically read the copyright data from all installed modules and place them on a new layer. For bible texts, modules, journal articles, tools, or for even user created modules, this could be a handy tool for studying the development of themes and subjects.

2. I think there is a cut off point at year 2000. Can we remove this?

3. Could we subscribe/share with other Accordance users custom layers / entries to Timeline? It may prove very handy for a group of people working / researching certain historical events together.

Just some thoughts.

Edited by rev.ken.han

I agree. For example it would be helpful to link timeline into church/denominational/Jewish trees, branches of theology, worship forms, etc.

• Like 1

Interesting idea!

Now, I haven't done a podcast on the Timeline, though I have on the Graphics package as a whole. I'd have to bone up on things like user layers and user events, though.

I know we've had some internal discussions about updating the Timeline database to include more intertestamental events and some church history material. However, I think that is pretty much on the backburner for a while, as we work to complete some other projects. That doesn't mean it won't happen, but I suspect most of our users would like to see Accordance for Windows out and further updates to the iOS app more.

You really need more programmers :)

• 1 month later...

I for one would love to have not just church history but world history integrated. That would be awesome.

I'd also love to see timeline contents further expanded!

Randy