Use of [RANGE]

Randy Steffens Jr

When I run this search in Accordance [COUNT 7], and manually set the range to Revelation (by clicking on the plus sign), I get a list of all the words in Revelation that appear 7 times.

However when I run this search [COUNT 7] <AND> [RANGE Revelation] I do not get all the words that occur 7 times in Revelation. I get several words who's number of occurrences range from 1 to 7 according to Analysis. Also, Analysis shows that the [RANGE] part of my query has 0 results.

Am I using the [RANGE] command wrong? Why do these two searches not yield matching results?

Thanks!

Randy

We've covered this a few times in the past (perhaps needs a dedicated help topic!) but let my briefly explain the difference in the [RANGE] command and the Range popup menu.

Technically, they have one specific difference: The Range popup menu limits the search, while the [RANGE] command limits the displayed results. Now, this may seem like a technical distinction, it allows for different searches. Consider:

1) What are all of the words used once throughout Revelation? Answer: [COUNT 1] with Range popup set to Revelation.

2) What are all of the hapax legomenon (the words used once ever) (the words used once ever) in Revelation? Answer: [COUNT 1] AND [RANGE Revelation]

You could even combine them. Such as:

3) List all of the words used once in Luke's writings that occur in the first chapter of Acts? [COUNT 1] AND [RANGE Acts 1] with Range popup set to Luke, Acts.

This distinction also matters when using the different Analytics. If you run a search for [VERB] AND [RANGE Matthew] you'll notice that your Hits Graph still consists of the entire corpus. Thats because the *results* were limited, not the search. To limit the search, and thus the range displayed in the Hits Graph, use the Range popup menu.

Final thought: Remember that the Range popup is available via the '+' button as a Search Condition.

• Thanks 1

Joel beat me to it with a more comprehensive answer so nothing to add but

its mentioned in the help here : file:///Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Accordance%20Help/Default.htm#topics/06_braa/count.htm?Highlight=count%20and%20range.

Thx

D

I see! That's a fantastic feature. Thanks for explaining it to me.

Sorry to have asked something that's already been covered here... I did a quick search and didn't see anything right off, but I'll be sure to check a little harder next time! :)

Thanks so much!

Blessings,

Randy