Get to BDAG from ESVS

thechrisroberts

What is a simple way to access a BDAG entry from ESVS? If I triple click a word in the ESV it opens to the Mounce number even though I've got BDAG prioritized. I assume this is because BDAG is not organized by Strong's numbers. My workaround is to keep the GNT open so if I want to look up a word I triple click it in the GNT rather than the ESV, but I assume there has to be an easier way to open a BDAG entry from a word in the ESV?

If you hold the Option key, you can amplify straight to BDAG via the Library, Amplify menu, Greek Tools toolbar button, or others.

I do a two step, triple-click (sounds too much like a dance...). First I triple-click the word in any tagged English text. Then when Mounce's Dictionary opens, I triple-click on the Greek word and presto, BDAG is open.

Chris, if you select a word in the ESVS, then hold the option key down and select BDAG from the Amplify menu on the toolbar, the Greek word associated with the Strong's number will be looked up in BDAG. This avoids having to have the GNT open.

If you prefer triple-clicking, you can also triple-click the ESVS word to bring up Mounce, then triple-click the Greek word in Mounce to look it up in BDAG. It's a two-step process, but is sometimes preferable if you forget to select and option-amplify.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the solutions, both sound workable. On the amplify option, is there a way to assign a keyboard shortcut to amplify BDAG?

I prefer the method described by both David and Joel, but there is a catch. You have to follow their instructions exactly.

Don't hold the option key down when you click on the word. That will only open a pop up containing the Instant Details information.

Click in the word (or select it), then hold the option key down and select the original language lexicon of your choice.

Figured out my own question about the shortcuts and apparently, doesn't really work. I didn't think about the option key interfering. So a keyboard shortcut can be set to amplify BDAG easily enough, but it can't be triggered because of holding down option to access the Greek word.