Any Suggestions for speech to text converter?

fmcfee

Hi,

I am "considering" a speech (English) to text converter that I could use with mellel and keynote to read from printed books and transfer into text.....any suggestions?

I have done a web search and found a couple (dragon?) but not sure about this technology...

Thanks for your help...

Frank

Edited by fmcfee

I've got Dragon. It works well, but there's a bit of a learning curve. But if you've learned how to use Accordance and Mellel, that's nothing :-)

I began using Dragon when I hurt my wrist a couple of years ago and used it daily for a few weeks. I don't use it as much now, but really I ought to since it's so much more quicker than typing.

I've got Dragon. It works well, but there's a bit of a learning curve. But if you've learned how to use Accordance and Mellel, that's nothing :-)

I began using Dragon when I hurt my wrist a couple of years ago and used it daily for a few weeks. I don't use it as much now, but really I ought to since it's so much more quicker than typing.

Rick,

Thanks...I read several reviews on Amazon and most were negative....so I am confused....I also wonder if I could get a program that works on a MAC and windows platform?.....BTW, I am just a beginner with mellel (I know only the basics)......if I decide to purchase and Dragon is the best for the money.....right now I am in "the looking" stage...

Frank

If you have consistent internet, you could begin by experimenting with the dictation options built into Mac OSX. While not perfect, they give you a feel for things. Last year an MS flare up made typing uncomfortable and sometimes difficult for me, and I used OSX's dictation frequently for a while. It worked well for me, although had the flare-up continued or exacerbated, I might have looked into investing in Dragon.

I believe that Dragon is available on both Mac and Windows programs.

I have used Dragon (Mac), though not daily. It is reasonably accurate, but you do have to proofread the produced text. It is quicker than the built in Mac OS dictation (but the latter is bundled with your Mac OS, so there is no additional outlay). Rick is correct, there is a learning curve (true of all programs).

If you have consistent internet, you could begin by experimenting with the dictation options built into Mac OSX. While not perfect, they give you a feel for things. Last year an MS flare up made typing uncomfortable and sometimes difficult for me, and I used OSX's dictation frequently for a while. It worked well for me, although had the flare-up continued or exacerbated, I might have looked into investing in Dragon.

I believe that Dragon is available on both Mac and Windows programs.

Michael,

Thanks for the suggestion...I am having troubling finding the Mac OS dictation...I have checked by apps ...sorry, I am a real beginner at MAC...

Frank

Open System Preferences, then click on "Dictation & Speech" (you can also type "dictation" in the find box). Click the radio button to turn dictation on. You can then set the keyboard shortcut to turn it off and on. You can also use the edit menu in any program.

As I was typing, Lorinda gave you a detailed article with much more detail on the use of the OS dictation service.

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta

Thanks....I would not have found it....I did try it out and it works well especially since it is free with Mountain Lion?...I was surprised....however, you must use the internet because Apple does the "conversion"....

Frank

Edited by fmcfee