How to Clip DVD video into "parts" to put into Keynote

fmcfee

Hi,

I have watched Dr. J podcast on making presentations ( #84) and I was able to duplicate the "animate map"...

what I would like to do is play DVD and cut portions out to be used in Keynote....

The DVD contains multiple files with extensions like .bhp, .vob, .ifo

I have a friend and he helped me ....however I have to copy the appropriate *.vob file, rename the file extension to .mpg and then use the video editor app "Video Edit"....it takes a lot of time and uses lots of file space...

I tried to make a direct copy using Quicktime while the DVD was playing and I got nothing (I tried movies)...Quicktime locks up a lot....

So my question is there any software I could play the DVD in (.vob files) and then selection multiple pieces of video and audio so that I have "one video file" and use this in Keynote

The Video Edit file I purchased Video S/W ver 2.0.1 Brad Bertram

Thanks for your help

Frank

Edited by fmcfee

Frank,

I think you may want to investigate copyright issues of using video clips from copyrighted sources. However, given that you do have the "rights" to extract a clip from a DVD then their is a very simple way. I have taken video of the tours I have led to the Bible lands and upon returning burned them to DVD. Occasionally I will want to retrieve a particular segment from a trip I have taken to put in a presentation. I have used the application Handbrake to accomplish this. <https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/12987/handbrake>

Hope this helps.

Frank,

I think you may want to investigate copyright issues of using video clips from copyrighted sources. However, given that you do have the "rights" to extract a clip from a DVD then their is a very simple way. I have taken video of the tours I have led to the Bible lands and upon returning burned them to DVD. Occasionally I will want to retrieve a particular segment from a trip I have taken to put in a presentation. I have used the application Handbrake to accomplish this. <https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/12987/handbrake>

Hope this helps.

Tony,

Thanks for your quick response... I have downloaded Handbrake and I am trying it...I am not sure I see how to edit and clip from it...it looks like it is converting the video to mp4 format...I could not get the "help" file to download...any suggestions?

It took over an hour to load the source and then I could not edit it in the program...I don't know what I am doing....I assume that a different program is needed to edit the video...I appreciate your help....

Thanks

Frank

Edited by fmcfee

Frank,

If you are going to do this regularly I recommend reading the manual. It will help in many ways. It can be found here <https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/HandBrakeGuide>.

Having said that, it appears that you "ripped" the whole DVD since it took you over an hour. Since I am usually looking from clips from my archived DVD's of my tours I generally only want a specific chapter. Say for example I want a clip of the Sea of Galilee and I know that it is Chapter 7 on my DVD, then I will choose Title 1, then from chapters 7 to 7. It may only take 2-3 minutes to extract that video.

Having extracted the video clip I wanted, as you observe it is in mp4 format. You can import this into iMovie and edit the clip. I will warn you that if you try to import a whole DVD you will be waiting a while. Short clips import fairly quickly. You can then export it. I generally will export it as mp4 as well.

You can now "drag and drop" your clip on to a Keynote slide. By the way, if you learn to edit your DVDs well when you first burn them then the extraction process will not even require any editing in iMovie -- sImply extract and drop the clip into your presentation.

Hope this helps.

Frank,

If you are going to do this regularly I recommend reading the manual. It will help in many ways. It can be found here <https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/HandBrakeGuide>.

Having said that, it appears that you "ripped" the whole DVD since it took you over an hour. Since I am usually looking from clips from my archived DVD's of my tours I generally only want a specific chapter. Say for example I want a clip of the Sea of Galilee and I know that it is Chapter 7 on my DVD, then I will choose Title 1, then from chapters 7 to 7. It may only take 2-3 minutes to extract that video.

Having extracted the video clip I wanted, as you observe it is in mp4 format. You can import this into iMovie and edit the clip. I will warn you that if you try to import a whole DVD you will be waiting a while. Short clips import fairly quickly. You can then export it. I generally will export it as mp4 as well.

You can now "drag and drop" your clip on to a Keynote slide. By the way, if you learn to edit your DVDs well when you first burn them then the extraction process will not even require any editing in iMovie -- sImply extract and drop the clip into your presentation.

Hope this helps.

Tony,

Thanks for your help....I have tried multiple times using "handbrake"....the mp4 file cannot be read by quicktime....I am using another program "Any DVD Ripper Pro" I purchased from the app store and it converts fine and I can play it on QT...thanks for your suggestion about the chapters...I will look into it....I was hoping that I could find a single program that would do the "reading/converting" and then edit...I do appreciate you taking the time to answer my question...

Frank

Edited by fmcfee