Best way to organize by topics?

jdross75

I'm new to Accordance and was wondering if anyone could help me out with the best way of organizing verses and notes by topics.

For example, if I wanted to have a topic titled "Wisdom" and then be able to assign verses and even notes to this topic for easy reference, how should I go about this? Especially if I could have up to 100 topics.

Thanks for any help from all the experts out there.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan and welcome to Accordance. You can create a custom highlight for "Wisdom" and anything you want to associate with "Wisdom" could be highlighted. If you create a separate highlight file you can also turn it on and off as you wish. For notes you might want to create a custom note file and create all of your notes pertaining to "Wisdom" in that file. This could get a bit unruly if you have 100 topics which means perhaps having 100 highlight and notes files. There may be better ways of doing this but this might at least give you a start.

It sounds like you want to create your own topical bible, which you could do in a User Tool. It wouldn't scroll in parallel with the bible text, but you can very easily create 100 topics, list verses and hyperlink them, add your own thoughts or copy sections from commentaries. The Accordance help documentation can get you started with this, and there are some Lighting the Lamp podcasts in iTunes (#30, 30.2, 30.3) that cover this as well.

I think a User Tool (perhaps in conjunction with highlighting a text) is probably the way to go, but another option is Reference Lists. Given that you are thinking about 100 topics, that might get unwieldy, as you would probably want to save each Reference List as a separate "tab"/document.

Reference lists let you collect verse references in a tab and then display them in whatever translation you like. I mostly use them for temporary tasks. For example, I often base the greeting/call to worship on a psalm or other poetic text that has thematic connections to the main preaching text. I use the cross references tool to search for possibilities, and store likely candidates in a Reference List tab.

But I have occasionally use Reference Lists for more permanent lists/tasks. Just make sure you save the Reference List after you make changes in it. Unlike User Tools, this does not happen automatically. (Another reason why User Tools are probably a better option)