Quicksilver

danzac

New versions of the Quicksilver Actions are now available. They include:

Formatting options & Actions that can bring any Accordance window to the front and display what you're looking for in the first module of that type. From the read me file:

What's that? You're reading a PDF or a web page about the proximity of Shechem to a mountain pass? Just highlight shechem and in 5 or so keystrokes you can have Accordance to the front, displaying Shechem in a Map window. I'm not kidding you.

For more information, have a look at my web page:

The Macintosh Biblioblog

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe,

The new actions work great. One problem with the paragraph format - it doesn't include the selection reference. This is what I get for Jer 10:1-5:

10:1

Excellent work, Joe.

Thanks for sharing these.

Jeremy

Thanks for sharing these.
Well, I'm all about showing the love to my fellow Accordanceers.

And Ed:

If I am not mistaken was (the paragraph format) not supposed to include (the verse reference) in a paragraph preceding the text?

Yes, that is an option. There are many situations where the addition of an extra carriage return would be unwelcome (like if pasting into a table), so I have the option turned off by default.

Double-click on an action to open it in Script Editor and then scroll down into the script until you see these two lines:

-- Next line will add the full reference in a paragraph above the actual text

--set theResult to theString & return & theResult

Simply remove the two dashes in front of the second line (ie. "un-comment out" the line of code). In Applescript, having two dashes is a way of telling the code interpreter to ignore the rest of this line, it's just a comment. The result should look like:

set theResult to theString & return & theResult

Save the script and enjoy the scripture reference goodness.

I could've put this instruction about that option into the ReadMe, but the thing is already so long.

Also, I apologize that the Paragraph formatting doesn't work with Hebrew Unicode texts. My brain froze when trying to account for the switch of text from right to left and left to right. I'm sure it's possible, I just stopped wasting time trying. Sorry.

set theResult to theString & return & theResult

Joe,

How is this different from changing this line from 'paragraph' to 'citation'.

That's what I did and it seems okay.

-- If not displaying in Accordance itself, determine how to format the results.

property quoteAs : "Citation"

-- "Citation"

-- "Paragraph" -- Doesn't handle citations in Hebrew well

-- "Verses"

As far as dashboard vs QuickSilver I much prefer QS for this operation. QS could pass a reference or search to accordance or like the above copy a passage- or perhaps place a passage in the current application.

One of the big advantages of QS is never leaving the keybord. There so much that I can do without swiching apps or moving my hands from the keyboard. There's a lot I do withou even looking at the QS interface now. It just comes second nature. Then there's the times I'm on a lab Mac at the university- It always takes me a few control-spaces before I realize there's no QS.

Ed Palma

How is this different from changing this line from 'paragraph' to 'citation'.

That's what I did and it seems okay.

-- If not displaying in Accordance itself, determine how to format the results.

property quoteAs : "Citation"

-- "Citation"

-- "Paragraph" -- Doesn't handle citations in Hebrew well

-- "Verses"

When you change the quoteAs property to "Paragraph", and search for "John 11:34-35, you do get a result in paragraph form, like:

11:34 He said,

Is there any chance to have something like this for LaunchBar as well? I am using LaunchBar, and I really like it, and although I've tried QuickSilver several times, somehow I've always returned back to LaunchBar.

One of the reasons is that I can quickly get "Get Info" panel for applications to see their version (just type application's abbreviation, then press Command+i), but I haven't found easy way to do the same in QS. I type abbreviation for application, right-click on it's icon, click on Actions and get a long list of Actions, but there is no particular order in that list, and it's hard to find Get Info command. Then it wasn't that easy to create shortcuts for applications, so I returned back to Spark shortcut application for that purpose, and LaunchBar for launching applications...

Maybe there is some way to add actions also to LaunchBar?...

The Quicksilver Scripts are working great! Thank you very much!!!

Is it possible to add the abilty to use the German Booknames (Johannes instead of John) for the Reference?

Stefan

Schweyer,

Glad the scripts are working for you. I'd like to release the new version this weekend, if I can get around to it. It includes support for the other launchers/script menu/activate by any means you wish/etc.

The lack of support for German book names is a limitation of the Accordance engine. The apple event calls I'm making to the Accordance engine happen at a lower system level than localization.

I could write a routine that substituted every reasonably known German book name/abbreviation with the English one. Tell you what, if you email me an exhaustive list of German book names/abbreviations I can send you a version of the script with a German localization routine. Email me and I'll tell you the format you'd need to do it in.

• 4 months later...
Is there any chance to have something like this for LaunchBar as well? I am using LaunchBar, and I really like it, and although I've tried QuickSilver several times, somehow I've always returned back to LaunchBar.

One of the reasons is that I can quickly get "Get Info" panel for applications to see their version (just type application's abbreviation, then press Command+i), but I haven't found easy way to do the same in QS. I type abbreviation for application, right-click on it's icon, click on Actions and get a long list of Actions, but there is no particular order in that list, and it's hard to find Get Info command. Then it wasn't that easy to create shortcuts for applications, so I returned back to Spark shortcut application for that purpose, and LaunchBar for launching applications...

Maybe there is some way to add actions also to LaunchBar?...

Guntis, I'm not sure I am understanding your problem. To see the info for absolutely anything, you type the first few letters until QS finds it, then hit tab to go to the actions, and then start typing either i-n-f-o or g-e-t-i-n-f-o. It will show up before you type the whole thing, then you just hit enter to open up the info window.

As to shortcuts, again I'm not sure what you are looking for. The point of QS, and presumably any of its less attractive twins, is that you don't need shortcuts anywhere, any file or program can be launched in a nano second.

• 3 weeks later...

Joe,

I'm not sure how difficult it would be but what are the chances of getting a Quicksilver script for adding a Scripture reference to an Accordance Reference List?

Thanks,

Jeremy

I'm not sure how difficult it would be but what are the chances of getting a Quicksilver script for adding a Scripture reference to an Accordance Reference List?
Well, not in the way you would hope. What I'm guessing you'd like is to encounter a scripture reference in a web page or a word processor document, highlight it, and automagically add it to a Reference List in Accordance with a couple keystrokes. This is not possible invisibly, for I am limited by the very few apple events that Accordance receives (all of which center around looking up references in biblical text modules alone).

I do occasionally write scripts for my own use that do things like this by scripting the graphical interface. In other words, I could provide a Quicksilver action that takes your highilghted scripture reference, and at a keystroke, brings Accordance forward, opens up a bible window, look up that scripture reference in a bible text, add the result to a reference list and put Accordance back in the background. Basically, it would do all the steps you would do, and you'd see it happening, but it would all happen pretty quickly, and be very helpful, but it is a kludge and gives one the feeling of (as my friend JP recently told me) "riding a bike with no handlebars". If you use any of the Tools lookup Quicksilver Actions, you can see what GUI scripting of Accordance looks like.

Here's another suggestion. Get familiar with the "Append to..." action in Quicksilver. Basically, you have a text file anywhere in a cataloged folder that you use as a repository for bits of text you're collecting. With a couple keystrokes, you can add scripture references to a text file extremely quickly and then later in one moment copy and paste them all into Accordance for adding to a Reference List. If I was in a mode of collecting scripture references, I would put a text file on my desktop called "scripture.txt" and then for each reference I'd encounter I'd simply:

1. highlight it,

2. invoke QS with Control+Option+C (my assigned shortcut for the "Command with Selection Quicksilver Trigger"),

3. Type "app" which smartly brings up the "Append to..." action,

4. Hit tab,

5. Type "scrip" which quickly will hone in on the "scripture.txt" file,

6. Hit return to complete and you're done.

And of course, the beauty of this is in repetition it quickly feels like one step when you're touch typing with muscle memory in action.

For a detailed tutorial on enabling the "Append to..." action in Quicksilver, start with this page:

Quicksilver: Append to a text file from anywhere

then you can glance at this page:

Quicksilver's Append: An updated appreciation

and add to their notes my encouragement in my Quicksilver ReadMe to create a key command for invoking QS with the "Command with Selection Quicksilver Trigger" that places the selected text already drawn in.

HTH,

Joe

Joe,

This is a much better options. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Thanks again,

Jeremy

• 2 years later...

Joe,

I continue to be an applescript idiot. And I'm now a convert to Launchbar. While I loved quicksilver, it seems to have been abandoned by the creator and has been increasingly annoying on my computer (freezes ALOT).

The sole thing I miss now is your awesome Accordance scripts

Danny,

It is my intention to clean up the code and implement them with LaunchBar, since Quicksilver's community-based status has remained unfulfilling. (So sad that he got hired by Google and hence was forced to abandon QS.)

Encouragement such as yours helps give me the motivation to get around to doing it. I haven't bought LB yet, even.

Joe

Hey Joe. I never thought I'd abandon QS, but I've fallen in love with launchbar. For a QS specific function, the only thing I miss are triggers (+ your applescripts). It really is excellent. It is fast, lots of commands, you can assign abbreviations to items, etc.

This may be of help to you, the new version of LB is open as a free beta. I actually haven't payed yet either, I'm using the beta.

Hey Joe. I never thought I'd abandon QS, but I've fallen in love with launchbar. For a QS specific function, the only thing I miss are triggers (+ your applescripts). It really is excellent. It is fast, lots of commands, you can assign abbreviations to items, etc.

This may be of help to you, the new version of LB is open as a free beta. I actually haven't payed yet either, I'm using the beta.

Choices :rolleyes:

LaunchBar & AppleScripts

To Trigger or Not To Trigger ?

Latest LaunchBar Revision History

• 1 year later...

It appears the Quicksilver actions no longer work with Accordance 9. Any chance these could be updated to work again? The coding is beyond me. I have really enjoyed these QS actions and would love to see them work with Accordance 9.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears the Quicksilver actions no longer work with Accordance 9. Any chance these could be updated to work again? The coding is beyond me. I have really enjoyed these QS actions and would love to see them work with Accordance 9.

Joe said on his blog that they'd be coming soon. I feel hamstrung without them too :-)

I'm slowly becoming productive and active online once again. A quick test showed that most QS actions are working again as of Accordance 9.0.4. As I said on my blog, it'd be helpful if you specified which actions are not working for you.

The development plan for the Accordance Quicksilver/LaunchBar actions is to migrate them over to the same architecture and the same Accordance Script Library that the Services use. So, when I can get to it, it will be a completely new version, with the old and additional functionality. The real masterpiece is the Accordance Script Library that's bundled with the Accordance Service pack. That script library allows you to use many options to access inter-application functionality with Accordance

I typically use the "Map", "Timeline", "Words", "Verses", and "Display" QS actions the most. So far the only one from that list that works for me in QS is the "display" action. I tried out numerous other QS actions and they don't work for me (parallel, current window, search all, etc.).

Shaun,

I see it now. Version 9 of Accordance changed the Name property of the binary process from "Accord" to "Acord", which breaks UI Scripting identification. It was an unintentional oversight on their part I suspect, and I will work to get that remedied.

Until I get to a a new release, in any of your scripts that aren't working (those that bring Accordance to the front), try opening the script in Script Editor and replacing the line:

set accordProcess to the first process whose name begins with "Accord"

with

set accordProcess to the first process whose displayed name begins with "Accordance"

Let me know if that works,

Joe

Archived