• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Ruby

• Accordance
  • 5,085 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Interests:Biblical studies/backgrounds & Patristics; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; excursions in my Jeep Wrangler
  • Accordance Version:13.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:49 AM

Here is a screenshot to show you what I am seeing.

Looks like the screenshot didn’t attach, but I’d still like to see it!

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

#22 David Purton

David Purton

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:International Student Ministry Worker; LaTeX hacker; Linux.
  • Accordance Version:10.x
  • Platforms:Android

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:27 AM

Here's the current status of Accordance under Wine for me:

I run wine 3.11 under Debian Testing.

Install of Accordance 12.2.8 went reasonably smoothly. I am able to download modules as part of the install process and then run Accordance under wine.

Unfortunately, that's where the good news ends.

I still see the problem mentioned in this thread where the main window does not render properly. If you scroll up and down it does flicker, but you're never left with something you can read. Although I managed to get a screen shot with text somehow.

Here's a couple of screen shots showing what I see:

Attached File  acc1.jpg   38.72KB   3 downloads

Attached File  acc2.jpg   71.82KB   4 downloads

I still run Accordance 10.4.5, which works OK.

#23 Michel Gilbert

Michel Gilbert

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS, Android

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:29 AM

Hi,

I've gotten it to work in Wine, but, the UI lacks menu items, etc., and texts and tools flash in and out of their panes/zones. Here is my most recent attempt in OpenSuse on my Mac:

Attached File  Acc 12 in OpenSUSE.png   42.92KB   5 downloads

Regards,

Michel

Edit: I see David and I posted at about the same time. I think we are seeing the same thing. It is difficult to populate a pane/zone with text, whether you triple click to populate a new one, or single click inside an existing one. I would love to run Acc in Linux.

Edited by Michel Gilbert, 13 July 2018 - 10:48 AM.

#24 dld2517

dld2517

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, None

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:27 AM

Here are my screenshots again  

Attached Files

#25 nmax

nmax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Platforms:Windows, None

Posted 12 November 2018 - 02:36 PM

Hello Everyone,

I've been a dedicated Linux and Bibleworks user (for work) for years.  With the shuttering of Bibleworks, I'm researching my options for migrating to a new tool.  Accordance looks like my best shot, but I haven't been able to get it up and running in Linux yet, which is pretty key to my workflow.

In short, Accordance (the free version) doesn't seem to have internet access.  The installer works just fine, but on first launch the setup helper asks for Accordance account credentials.  The sign in fails immediately (details below).  I've tried adding various network-related packages (including winbind) to my wine config, but to no avail.  I don't use wine too much, so I'm hoping someone here with more experience using wine + Accordance can point me in the right direction.

Any suggestions?

Kernel: 4.18.0-10-generic

Wine: wine-3.20 (Staging)

Console Output:

[email protected]:~$ wine /home/USER/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Oaktree/Accordance/Accordance.exe 
000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 3.19 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
0009:fixme:font:get_outline_text_metrics failed to read full_nameW for font L"Ani"!
0009:fixme:atl:AtlAxWinInit version 0300 semi-stub
0009:fixme:win:SetGestureConfig (0x1012e 00000000 1 0x1ccfc94 12): stub
0009:fixme:shell:BrsFolder_OnCreate flags 30 not implemented
002b:fixme:wininet:query_global_option INTERNET_OPTION_PER_CONNECTION_OPTION stub
002b:fixme:wininet:get_proxy_autoconfig_url no support on this platform
002b:fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option 77 STUB
002b:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
002b:fixme:secur32:schannel_get_protocol unknown protocol 5
GnuTLS error: A TLS fatal alert has been received.
002b:err:secur32:schan_DecryptMessage Returning 80090304
002b:fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option 77 STUB
GnuTLS error: A TLS fatal alert has been received.
002b:err:secur32:schan_DecryptMessage Returning 80090304

GUI:

accordance-01.png

accordance-02.png

• Daniel Francis and Fabian like this

#26 David Purton

David Purton

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:37 PM

nmax,

I can successfully install, login and download modules I have purchased using Accordance 12.3.0 Lite which I just downloaded.

This was my install command into a clean wine prefix:

$ WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine_tmp WINEARCH=win32 wine Accordance12.3.0.exe

However, when I try and run the actual program, it starts, but no window appears (or it remains hidden as the application is still running; the splash window momentarily appears).

Debian Testing

wine-3.19 (Debian 3.19-1)

awesomeWM

Linux 3.16.16

I still haven't had any success in making Accordance usable beyond Accordance version 10.4.5. This works fine. It fails to install module updates once they are downloaded, but does download them successfully, and I can just copy the files to he right place manually.

I also find this a pain as I only run Linux and have done so for years. (No doubt people in this forum would be horrified that my primary computer is a MacBook Air upgraded to run Linux :D )

Edited by David Purton, 13 November 2018 - 10:39 PM.

• evhatfield likes this

#27 Michel Gilbert

Michel Gilbert

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS, Android

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:37 PM

Hi,

I was just on my Linux (latest Ubuntu) laptop and noticed Acc was still on it (still under 5 devices). So, I updated it to the latest version, 12.3.1, on Wine staging 3.7. It is much better than before - munu items appear when I hover the mouse at the top of panes/zones, and I can access most things with rt click. The construct search works well.

Attached File  AccUbunWine.png   596.51KB   4 downloads

Regards,

Michel

• Unix likes this

#28 David Purton

David Purton

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:48 PM

Michael,

Interesting. Your screenshot still seems to show plenty of redraw issues, which makes me think that it's still not usable. Looks like I'm still stuck with v. 10.

#29 Brett K.

Brett K.

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 31 May 2019 - 08:57 PM

I'm interested in getting Accordance running on Linux. Has anyone made any more progress using WINE? Has anyone tried running it in a Windows VM on Linux? If so, how was the performance?

Also, since Android is Linux, would any of the Accordance code base on Android be portable to a version of Accordance that would run on other distros of Linux?

Thanks

#30 David Purton

David Purton

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 10:38 PM

I'm interested in getting Accordance running on Linux. Has anyone made any more progress using WINE? Has anyone tried running it in a Windows VM on Linux? If so, how was the performance?

Also, since Android is Linux, would any of the Accordance code base on Android be portable to a version of Accordance that would run on other distros of Linux?

Thanks

I would think that it would work fine in a Windows VM. I don't have a Windows licence, so I've never tried.

I still think the best option is to use Accordance 10 under WINE. This works fine.

Although Android uses a Linux kernel, it's API is totally different and it's not possible to simple port it across to a different toolkit.

There is a project called Anbox which lets you run an Android system on your Linux box. I've not tried it though and this would only let you run the actual Android version of Accordance, which doesn't seem like as good an option as Accordance 10 under WINE or using a VM.

#31 xavimat

xavimat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Platforms:Android, None

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:36 PM

Hi!

I'm a new user of Accordance from Bibleworks and I'm trying to use it in Ubuntu under WINE.

I've been able to replicate what this thread says about Accordance 12: it installs under Wine, it downloads the modules, but the window is empty or flickers making it unusable.

I want to try Accordance 10, because some users here say that it's usable, but the "Setup Assistant" says "Accordance 10 not found in account" (See screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/38A6sCR )

That's true, I have Accordance 12 in my products page, but not Accordance 10.

I've tried to found Accordance 10 in the store, but I can't add it to the Cart.

So, my question is: Is there a way to have Accordance 10 in my products page? Or an "Accordance 10 unlocking code"? (considering that I've already bought a package, so I can use more than the Lite version)

Thanks!

#32 dandennison

dandennison

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Interests:The Master's Seminary
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:19 PM

https://www.accordan...stallers#Acc-10

#33 xavimat

xavimat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:26 AM

Thanks dandennison.
I'm sorry but probably I haven't explained myself well (sorry about my bad English).
I have already downloaded the Accordance 10 installer, without problem.
I have already installed it with Wine, and it works.
I have already launched it for the first time and it starts well. The problem comes with the Setup Assistant, the first time it is launched. As you can see in the image I've linked, it says that I don't have Accordance 10 in my account. So the button to continue is inactive and there is nothing I can do from that point.
I was asking if it's possible to have Accordance 10 active in my account, so the Setup Assistant founds it and lets me continue to the program.

#34 David Purton

David Purton

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:06 AM

Hi!

I'm a new user of Accordance from Bibleworks and I'm trying to use it in Ubuntu under WINE.

I've been able to replicate what this thread says about Accordance 12: it installs under Wine, it downloads the modules, but the window is empty or flickers making it unusable.

I want to try Accordance 10, because some users here say that it's usable, but the "Setup Assistant" says "Accordance 10 not found in account" (See screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/38A6sCR )

That's true, I have Accordance 12 in my products page, but not Accordance 10.

I've tried to found Accordance 10 in the store, but I can't add it to the Cart.

So, my question is: Is there a way to have Accordance 10 in my products page? Or an "Accordance 10 unlocking code"? (considering that I've already bought a package, so I can use more than the Lite version)

Thanks!

Xavimat, I can confirm that Accordance 10 still works for me with Wine under Linux. And I am still unable to run Accordance 12.

There is one problem still with Accordance 10. Modules download OK, but do not install. You need to open them manually from the library to install them, by browsing to their download location (some temp directory somewhere in ~/.wine). Once installed, updates then download OK, but to install them you need to copy the new files over old ones. Bit of a pain, but you can live with it.

I would contact Accordance sales and see if they will give you a licence for Accordance 10. If you explain your situation, they will hopefully do this.

You could test things with by installing the Accordance 10 demo too. You can find this at https://www.accordan...resources/demos

#35 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 12,084 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:37 PM

Xavimat: I have placed Accordance 10 in your account so it should now validate for you. You may find that some of your modules will not download or run in 10, but most should be fine.

• superhua, Daniel Francis and Fabian like this
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#36 David Purton

David Purton

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:41 AM

Xavimat: I have placed Accordance 10 in your account so it should now validate for you. You may find that some of your modules will not download or run in 10, but most should be fine.

Can I say that Accordance's customer service is really great!

I know the chance of a real Linux version is slim to none, but if there is a willingness to get Accordance working better with Wine, I'll definitely pay for an upgrade, even though the Lite version does all I want.

• R. Mansfield, Daniel Francis and Unix like this

#37 xavimat

xavimat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:20 PM

Thanks a lot, Helen!

Now it validates and downloads the modules correctly (I'm still working on installing them, as David Purton explains).

#38 evhatfield

evhatfield

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:42 AM

I also find this a pain as I only run Linux and have done so for years. (No doubt people in this forum would be horrified that my primary computer is a MacBook Air upgraded to run Linux :D )

I'm with you.  I have upgraded my MacBook Pro to run Linux and I miss Accordance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users