Search All Flex/Exact controls?

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

I don't have access to my Mac at the moment to see if this is platform specific or not, so I thought I'd post it here--feel free to move it if it belongs elsewhere.

There seems to be no way--beyond the preferences--to specify a flex or exact search in Search All. (In contrast to a "normal" search in a specific text, where this is chosen from the magnifying glass icon) Is this by design, or is this a bug?

This also creates a bit of confusion when double-clicking on a translation in the list on the left of a Search All Window: When searching the specific translation, the search is run as an exact search.

As a specific example, When my preferences were set to Flex in Edit>Preferences>Search Tabs, I used Search all Texts to search for "first love" (without the quotes) Although I had intended an exact search, it ran as a flex search.

When I select NIV in the translations list, several verses were displayed, only one of which used the phrase "first love"; the rest used "first" and "love" somewhere in the verse.

I then double-clicked on NIV in the translations list, which opened an NIV pane and ran an exact search. So only the exact search showed. This really confused me at first: several hits in Search All, only one in the translation search.

Lornda

It looks like this is the same on Mac. Interestingly the flex search/exact search confusion only seems to apply to texts. Search All for non-texts seems to be exact and thus then clicking on the ZIBBCNT result in the search all pane opens ZIBBCNT and does an exact also. So that seems fine for the non-texts. Including the quotes in the search All search box around (well in my case "living God") it did an exact search in the texts as well, which meant the resulting exact search in a selected text matched fine. I had a look over the doc and I couldn't see a specific reference to this but it seems to be by design to me.

Thx

D