New Interpreter

Daniel  Francis

I am quite pleased to see the NIDB make it to Accordance, I will likely pass on it since I have it in Olivetree, however good ability to easily make citations might change my mind. How good are the citation options in Accordance. I use the following example below (ABD is one of the few items I have chosen to duplicate in both Accordance and Logos) to inquire… As you see while Accordance gives an adequate reference, Logos gives a more complete one automatically giving you the article author.

Example from Anchor Bible Dictionary.

• DAN (PLACE) [Heb daœn N∂Úd]. Tel Dan, formerly Tell el Qadi, is identified with ancient Dan
  • Freedman, David Noel, ed. The Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary. Accordance electronic edition, version 3.6. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2008.

• DAN (PLACE) [Heb dān (דָּן)]. Tel Dan, formerly Tell el Qadi, is identified with ancient Dan
  • Avraham Biran, “Dan (Place),” ed. David Noel Freedman, The Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary (New York: Doubleday, 1992), 12.

-Dan

I am quite pleased to see the NIDB make it to Accordance, I will likely pass on it since I have it in Olivetree, however good ability to easily make citations might change my mind. How good are the citation options in Accordance. I use the following example below (ABD is one of the few items I have chosen to duplicate in both Accordance and Logos) to inquire… As you see while Accordance gives an adequate reference, Logos gives a more complete one automatically giving you the article author.
Example from Anchor Bible Dictionary.
  • DAN (PLACE) [Heb daœn N∂Úd]. Tel Dan, formerly Tell el Qadi, is identified with ancient Dan
  • Freedman, David Noel, ed. The Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary. Accordance electronic edition, version 3.6. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2008.
  • DAN (PLACE) [Heb dān (דָּן)]. Tel Dan, formerly Tell el Qadi, is identified with ancient Dan
  • Avraham Biran, “Dan (Place),” ed. David Noel Freedman, The Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary (New York: Doubleday, 1992), 12.
-Dan

Couple things to note here:

I see that you're using the "bibliography" style for the Accordance example, and a "footnote" style for Logos. It would look more similar if you chose our footnote option, except we still do not support citing the author in dictionary or encyclopedia articles.

Since the NIDB was finished just before the email went out, it isn't yet supported in the citation feature. One of the next point updates will fix that and account for all the new releases.

Our edition of the NIDB doesn't yet have page numbers added. We actually found that while attempting to add them that the version supplied to us by the publisher had been updated since the print version was published. We'll add pages as soon as we have an exemplar that matches our version.

Lastly, it seems somewhat moot to compare our citation feature to Logos for this particular resource since it isn't available with Logos, and OliveTree doesn't support that feature at all.

Edited by Rick Bennett

Lastly, it seems somewhat moot to compare our citation feature to Logos for this particular resource since it isn't available with Logos, and OliveTree doesn't support that feature at all.

Yes I realize that Logos is not offering it and OT has no citations capability at all… My comment was merely wondering at the level of citation available on this resource to determine if I should look at duplicating a resource I have in OT, which while an ok reader is annoying when trying to quote something. Since the article level of quoting was what I was attempting to inquire about I used Logos as an example to demonstrate what I was asking for. And while according to the Logos website it isn't even under development yet, I take that with a grain of salt, since the NIB is not there yet either, but I know for a fact they are nearing completion on it for release, so it is quite possible they are doing the dictionary too. I am glad to know the level of quotation I was hoping to see is coming, now it's just a matter of seeing what i can do with my budget.

-Dan

Edited by Dan Francis

This goes back to a friendly debate we had when the citation feature was first introduced to Accordance. I still maintain that if a dictionary article is signed, it should be cited by the author of that article, then the title of the article and then the title of the overall work as opposed to a general citation for the entire work.

Therefore, Dan's second example from Anchor is the correct one that would be required in an academic paper.

Edited by R. Mansfield

This goes back to a friendly debate we had when the citation feature was first introduced to Accordance. I still maintain that if a dictionary article is signed, it should be cited by the author of that article, then the title of the article and then the title of the overall work as opposed to a general citation for the entire work.

Therefore, Dan's second example from Anchor is the correct one that would be required in an academic paper.

I never disagreed; that's clearly the correct way according to style manuals. It just never became high enough priority to get supported in Accordance because of its difficulty across every dictionary we support and all the different ways authors' names are written, abbreviated, etc.

For what it's worth, this would be the citation for that same article in AYBD in the footnote style (and the same for NIDB once pages are added):

“DAN (PLACE) [Heb dān דָּן]. Tel Dan, formerly Tell el Qadi, is identified with ancient Dan of the phrase “from Dan to Beersheba””

“DAN (PLACE),” AYBD, 2:12.

The user would just have to insert the author, making it:

Avriham Biran, “DAN (PLACE),” AYBD, 2:12.

And as the 'bibliography' style:

Freedman, David Noel, ed. The Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary. Accordance electronic edition, version 3.6. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2008.

At this point style manuals differ on whether you would cite the entire work or the individual article. We defaulted to the entire work.

Edited by Rick Bennett

Insofar as user feedback helps shape future priorities, I'd be glad for dictionary citations that automatically include article's author name.

+1